It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:07 am 
Now we're getting somewhere...

Hey fellas, I've just decided to get back into 40k (CSM's in particular). Every game night my local GW store host 1,500 point games so I'd like some criticism on my army list.

HQ
Daemon Prince - 155
Wings, Warptime.

Elites
7 x Chosen - 176
4 x Multimeltas

3 x Terminators - 120
2 x Combimelta
1 x Combiflamer

Troops
10x Khorne Berserkers - 235
Champion, PW.
9x Khorne Berserkers - 224
Champion, PF.

7x Plague Marines - 221
2x Plasma guns
Champion, PF

7x Plague Marines - 221
2x Plasma guns
Champion, PF

Support
4x Rhino - 140

Total = 1492

I have recalled the point cost of the top of my head as I don't have the codex to hand, if there are any costing errors then just say.

Is this a competitive list and is there any way of making it more competitive?

Rogers2012.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:03 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Maybe drop the chosen for 2 Obliterators? Looks pretty good though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:23 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

It looks like your list is seriously lacking in the AT department, so you should try to drop a few of the those Chosen and Berzerkers to try and make some room for some Obliterators. Also, try to swap out the PW on the one skull champ for a PF, you'll have much better results.

Warhammer 40k
Dark Angels: About 4,000 points** *Indefinite Hiatus*
Crimson Fists: Will start...eventually...

**Needs re-worked points estimate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:01 am 

So 2 oblits are 'better' than 4 multimeltas with the possibility of rapid firing if Outflanking works well? Plus am I likely in general to face large mech armies at 1,500 points?

Thanks for your input :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:21 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Except you can't even buy Multimeltas on Chosen.

Kabal of the Black Moon: 11/1/2
Grey Knights: 2/0/1
Dark Angels: 3/0/3
Legion of Everblight: 14/0/4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:43 pm 

That seems odd to say the least! But as I said I don't have the Codex to hand atm.

ASSUMING I were to take chosen instead of oblits what weapons can I take with them that'd make them good vs vehicles and-or heavy infantry?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:30 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
you can give them 5 meltas or 5 plasma guns i guess? i tend to run two squads of 5 chosen depending on my oponent one squad almost always gets 5 plasmaguns but the second tends to vary

heavy vehichles that squad gets 5 meltas
horde 5 flamers
mix up of both 5 plasmas again

i tend to have oblits everywhere for AT but yeah

Pen gun, mightier than the sword. Sword gun, mightier than the pen gun.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:00 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges
always go to oblitz for heavy weaponry, and a note, are troops and heavy supports are the elites of chaos so really don't bother with chosen, possesed or dreads unless your going termicide. oblitz always win in any case for heavy weaponry, they are the most destructive unit in 40k at their point cost, they bring a multitude of weaponry to the game for a very cheap point cost and in groups of 3 they can easily take out a tank or a hordes of termaguants with their awesome weaponry.
.... :mrgreen:

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:59 am 

khani wrote:
always go to oblitz for heavy weaponry, and a note, are troops and heavy supports are the elites of chaos so really don't bother with chosen, possesed or dreads unless your going termicide..... :mrgreen:

Did you say that Chosen fill a heavy support slot?

Also my general point is that is two oblits who can fire 2 melta shots per turn really that much better than a squad of chosen with 5 meltaguns so can fire 5-10 shots per turn (Assuming outflanking works well) ?

I'm not saying that Oblits are crap, they really aren't. BUT I'm proposing the question is which is better quantity of firepower (Chosen) or quality of firepower (oblits)?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:13 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges
no, do not go for chosen unless thats all you got. obliterators have much better heavy support because of their huge variety of weaponry and becuase htey are ALWAYS cheaper then taking a whole geared and kitted up squad of chosen, in real life too
..... :mrgreen:

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:30 am 
Bronze Vault Member

Rogers2012 wrote:
khani wrote:
always go to oblitz for heavy weaponry, and a note, are troops and heavy supports are the elites of chaos so really don't bother with chosen, possesed or dreads unless your going termicide..... :mrgreen:

Also my general point is that is two oblits who can fire 2 melta shots per turn really that much better than a squad of chosen with 5 meltaguns so can fire 5-10 shots per turn (Assuming outflanking works well) ?

I'm not saying that Oblits are crap, they really aren't. BUT I'm proposing the question is which is better quantity of firepower (Chosen) or quality of firepower (oblits)?

Oblits are better because they can adapt to any situation. They can be effective against hordes, meqs, and anything else. Also, how can they get ten melta shots?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:02 am 

khani wrote:
Oblits are better because they can adapt to any situation. They can be effective against hordes, meqs, and anything else. Also, how can they get ten melta shots?

10 shots because... I think I've got mixed up with the plasma gun? aha but still for ten points less you can have 5 Chosen with 5 meltaguns. I'm playing the devils advocate at the moment but for 10 points less than 2 oblits you can have 3 more S8 AP1 shots. My question is still unanswered. Is quality really that much better than quantity?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:30 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
i like chosen over oblits simply because of outflank or infiltrate in a rhino
you are that much closer to the enemy move up the rhino you can either disembark and shoot the crap outa heavy units or vehichles then if it doesnt exactly work out you can assault with a decent unit though i dont really recomend assaulting if you think they can still be useful
obliterators are great but they lack too much anti-horde which chosen can amke up for with flamers or squads of plasmaguns

Pen gun, mightier than the sword. Sword gun, mightier than the pen gun.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:00 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Rogers2012 wrote:
khani wrote:

Meltas arent rapid fire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:27 pm 

garium wrote:
Meltas arent rapid fire

If you read my more recent post that I said I was mixing that up with Plasma guns. But regardless you get 3 more S8 AP1 shots than 2 oblits for 10 points less.

All I am saying is quantity better than quality in terms of shots?