It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chaos Tactica
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:53 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

my brother plays chaos marines and i'm trying to get him to use demons.
are they any good?

(lesser)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:39 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Their not terrible, but they can be a bit of a gamble because their use is really determined by what turn they come at. They can be decent because you can tie squads up with them and they can take objectives.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:22 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

thanks for the help, I got ten bloodletters to try out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:43 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

This may sound silly, but you talk about land raiders providing cover for rhinos, which makes sense. Would the reverse also be useful if you allowed the cheaper rhinos to provide cover for your expensive LR's? Especially when you're facing opponents with lance weapons? I wouldn't run them in front of it so they would get in the way if wrecked, but possibly right beside it or slightly ahead and beside the LR (a sort of reverse V). I assume they are large enough to provide 50% cover.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:14 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ferrous-Wrex wrote:
This may sound silly, but you talk about land raiders providing cover for rhinos, which makes sense. Would the reverse also be useful if you allowed the cheaper rhinos to provide cover for your expensive LR's? Especially when you're facing opponents with lance weapons? I wouldn't run them in front of it so they would get in the way if wrecked, but possibly right beside it or slightly ahead and beside the LR (a sort of reverse V). I assume they are large enough to provide 50% cover.

The cost of a unit is irrelevant. A rhino is easier to pop, thus is an easier kill point to obtain. Put them behind a land raider aka a much harder unit to kill and things start going your way ^_^

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:41 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Good point, but what if you're not doing a kill point mission?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:55 pm 

Then you have even more incentive to cover your rhinos! Inan objective you want to get to an objective. Throwing your lightly armoured vehicles forward will result in death...probably before you reach your destination. A land raider covering their advance means they survive. Whats better, a land raider with 10 guys in side, or 4 rhinos with 40 guys inside?

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:19 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I have to agree with Zeebz on this one. The current way of playing for CSM is using rhinos. Best to try and keep them covered. Say if youve got four rhinos and they get popped turn one your Marines arnt going to last to long.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:54 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Me Personally I don't take lesser Demons, not greatly worth it.

Overall I think having a Greater Demon is much more worth it and use Sack a champion to pop him out. He works almost as well as a Demon Prince with slightly better stats but foot slogs 6in and only a 4+ invul save. Use the points on that instead and keep your personal normal standard in Plague/Khorne or standard marines with Chaos glory upgrade in Rhinos. Don't forget Oblits :)

Debating on doing Warriors of Chaos for Fantasy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:12 pm 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Greater Daemons are terrible.
Aspiring Champions are a critical part of your squads and, as you yourself said, the Greater Daemon has to foot slog. On top of that, you have no idea when he's going to come in, which hurts you rather badly, as you cannot ensure that your squad is in a good possition to recieve him, to allow for maximum damage.

With nothing but a 4++, he will go down rather quickly, and can be avoided easily by any mechanized army. With the 160+ point price tag, he simply isn't worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:59 am 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
I think we need a sticky about why Greater Daemons are terrible.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:28 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Quote:
Greater Daemons are terrible.
Aspiring Champions are a critical part of your squads and, as you yourself said, the Greater Daemon has to foot slog. On top of that, you have no idea when he's going to come in, which hurts you rather badly, as you cannot ensure that your squad is in a good possition to recieve him, to allow for maximum damage.

With nothing but a 4++, he will go down rather quickly, and can be avoided easily by any mechanized army. With the 160+ point price tag, he simply isn't worth it.

This is definitely true. My Aspiring Champions are taken away by the greater Deamons which ups the cost of the Daemon overall. Also this might just be my bad luck but every time I summoned a daemon it was shot down by tanks from not being a independent character to buffer the blow by using squad members to take the hit when going to cc. When he dies (about one round of shooting from ig tanks) the squad is usually assaulted with no Aspiring Champions to fight back. Bye Bye 250+ points. I've done this 4 times in a row an I've played with a greater daemon 5 times. I've now given up on it and proxy it as a daemon prince.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:38 am 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
for a 100 points the lessers can have much better uses than a greater, that and they don't sac an important part of a squad... and sorry the lessers really should be coming in near a rhino so theyll be a bit more due to an icon beong helpful. long story short, if used effectively and with some moderate thought they can be effective and worth their cost. if all else fails they can hold objectives :mrgreen:

Red Corsair: 750 [----------] 03 - 0 - 02
Necrons: 350 [----------]
Black Templar Successors (yet to be named) : ordered ----------

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:44 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

darkned1ight wrote:
for a 100 points the lessers can have much better uses than a greater, that and they don't sac an important part of a squad... and sorry the lessers really should be coming in near a rhino so theyll be a bit more due to an icon beong helpful. long story short, if used effectively and with some moderate thought they can be effective and worth their cost. if all else fails they can hold objectives :mrgreen:

Mentioned in another thread the lesser daemons are also a great tarpit unit and they are also good for harrassing the enemy and distracting the enemy from other important things such as the objective and expensive units because when you have 10 - 20 daemons come running at you with swords your not going to turn a blind eye.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:41 am 

Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!
Is a cultist army viable, not competitive wise but fluff? I have plans for converting heldrakes and other Heavies but what about an HQ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next