Mini of the Month September '12: DARK VENGEANCE! VOTE HERE!

An ongoing themed competition, hosted by Greywolf and Woulfgar

Who won?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:56 am

lupusj
30%
jmaddux
60%
Thabow
10%

Total votes: 10

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Mini of the Month September '12: DARK VENGEANCE! VOTE HERE!

Post by Dez » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:56 am

This month's theme was DARK VENGEANCE Please vote on your favorite, and please leave some critique for these projects below. This just helps the modelers and painters get that much better! You can view more WIP shots here http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 40&t=76512.

The winner gets to pick the theme for October. We are running behind, so Vote now!

lupusj

jmaddux

Thabow

PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

legionnaire
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Mini of the Month September '12: DARK VENGEANCE! VOTE HE

Post by legionnaire » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:52 pm

I think all three were pretty good.

The way I looked at it was;
Lupusj: your conversions were good simple and clean however not a great deal of change from the base models. The paint job has started off well but with out an end product it is always hard to say.

jmaddux:
I think this conversions is one of the coversions which a lot of chaos players will look into doing it seem very fitting to mash both the deamon prince and the Hellbrute together (in saying that it is the first I have seen) You seem to have done it too very clean. Again it is an unfinished paint job which isn't great and in my opinion I am not a fan of the blue but it is definatly on it s way to be a great looking mini.

Thabow,
I really like what you have done, the walker is really nicely put together and the finialy painted model looks great. The one big let down with this is that I feel it isnt really much of a Dark Vengence mini. The DV mini itself seems to be just palced on the top and the rest of the model is something seperate altogether. but as i said i still like what you have done.

So to round up I voted for jmaddux, his conversion was nice well put together and didnt seem like a mish mash of parts. Thabow would have got my vote if the topic had been more related to the walker or something along those lines as it is a really good job. Lupusj's work is also great but I felt more work had gone into the other two.

cheers sorry being a little picky

leg
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war.......but thats the future for now we will stick with MiniWarGaming

CSM = 1800 ish
Necron = 1800
Blood Axes = in progress

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:24 pm

Feedback is good, and I agree with what you said. Just don't forget we are judging on the merits of the conversions, not the paint job.

Crusherfex
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Crusherfex » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:46 pm

I'm going for jmaddux. Lupusj and Thabow had superb conversions too, but I feel jmaddux really took the bull by the horns and did something extremely daring, and pulled it off perfectly. :mrgreen:

Thabow
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Thabow » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:18 am

what??!?!? lol

so just so we're clear, I was the only one to finish on time, the only one to finish the painting, the only one to do a scratch built conversion and the only one to do a proper base and I came in last place? How the hell did that happen. It's like being back on Dakka Dakka.

congrats to jmaddux I guess, though in truth I'm not that impressed, I could go into my bits box and reproduce that model in less than three mins.

hate to sound bitter here guys but it sucks to play fair and then be faulted for it. This will be my last MOTM contest.

I guess this makes me a sore loser....

lupusj you had some very clean conversions...

Crusherfex
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Crusherfex » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:35 am

This isnt a painting contest or basing contest. It's a conversion contest. And I thought jmaduxx had the better conversion tbh.

Jmaduxx had a based model. He had a painted model.

If I had all your bits I could do the same thing you have done.

Thabow
Ribbons Earned: Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Thabow » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:42 am

your right, this is a conversion contest which is why I assumed that a conversion that had been scratched built would win over something that had had parts added to it. But you know what they about assumption. As for the painting, your right there too, event though this thread is in the painting section it is again a conversion contest so why bother painting it at all? And no, you couldn't have built this model, the bitz came from several different sources not all GW and some aren't in production anymore so that makes this a one of a kind.

either way, we're both missing the point here, this contest is about encouraging people to build new models and explore new ways of doing it. Dez you do a good job of running this contest but next time you should stick to the deadline so you don't have this same problem down the road with another jerk like me.

now then, back into the void.................

Crusherfex

Post by Crusherfex » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:49 pm

Thabow, you've already won like 20 times :lol: I was a bit bummed when I lost to the brown T-prime a year ago. But his conversion was better, and I'm happy with myself because I love the model I made.

Thabow

Post by Thabow » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:07 pm

very good point, if nothing else i have a great model to use as for my cultist army.

legionnaire
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by legionnaire » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:11 pm

Sorry I know not really my business but Thabow the contest was to convert something from DV you just seemed pop a DV ontop of another conversion..(correct me if I am wrong) Your conversion is great, really is but it is not within the specification of the contest???

Either way prove the, all wrong next month with this quality of work you will be tough to beat!
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war.......but thats the future for now we will stick with MiniWarGaming

CSM = 1800 ish
Necron = 1800
Blood Axes = in progress

Jag
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Jag » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:58 am

Thabow wrote:very good point, if nothing else i have a great model to use as for my cultist army.
well, i'll tell you right out that while your conversion was creative and your painting was good, i kinda just wondered what you model even was... with the other 2 i could tell what they were trying to make and how what they did accomplished it. i didnt vote lupus cause it was very simple and unfinished.

if i hadn't thought that the model you made was just gluing sprues together i might have voted for it.
Army - Wins/Losses:
Trollbloods - 22/2
Mercenaries - 4/0
Cygnar - 3/1

IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Post by IGfanatic » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:11 pm

So...when is the next one going to start?
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

Dez

Post by Dez » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:04 pm

I still haven't heard back, but I'll be wrapping this up so we can move along soon.

jmaddux
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by jmaddux » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:09 pm

I won? YEAH Thanks.... and Ive been painting it still 2-3 hours a day sense that post... Im working on getting the NMM (Non metallic Metals) really good.... im not a good painter at all, I have to repaint and repaint all the time. I do 2 many steps for something so simple to other... so a 40hour paint job for my Lords is normal.

But I think the HB model is Awesome and I was scared to make the 1st CUT into it lol... my heart was racing.

Ill post pics up when its done :D
Nids: 14k
DE: 12k
Harlequins: 4k
KDK: 3k
SoB: 3k

IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Post by IGfanatic » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:11 pm

PICK A THEME!
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.