Mini of the Month September WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!

An ongoing themed competition, hosted by Greywolf and Woulfgar
Dtram
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting Pledge
Location: Where the Orks frolic side by side, on roving hills and in gumdrop forests

Re: Mini of the Month September

Postby Dtram » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:49 am

Epic Duck Mike wrote:I've got a Forgeworld Ork Warboss on Bike I'd love to paint up for this,.. but I have a feeling I won't want to look at Orks for a few months come this weekend :P

And the damn Tau don't have wheels on anything!

....Put them on! Nothing says Tau like Ork trukk wheels on a Pirahna... lol :roll: .... Actually that sounds kinda cool, I want it ='(

the_chapter_666
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Postby the_chapter_666 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:23 pm

woooo im in. got all the stuf just need to get it done in time.
'He's so stiff even the rod up his arse has got a rod up its arse'- GODWIN FISCHIG

/¯/________________________
| BLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

'i cast flare!!!' sir schmoopy

Craaag
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Craaag » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:05 pm

WIP update. Just some finishing touches (some highlighting on the plume, blending on the "tail") and then the base. hopefully I'll get it done this week just in time.

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Postby Lady_Soria » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:39 pm

Kinda reminds me of a Protos for some reason.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Craaag
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Craaag » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:11 pm

Finished, sorry about the pics. Kind of dark...

izirath
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Postby izirath » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:30 am

This month's competition wasn't really flooding with entries. Next month!
Khornate wrote:Its Nightcrawler!

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Dez » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:28 am

Here is my entry. It's a Warriors of Chaos Chariot. No conversions (I really didn't have time) just paint. But, the painting technique is different. It's all washes. I primer the models white, and then use washes and layering to create the painted effect, much like painting with watercolors. I like the effect, but it's very unforgiving of mistakes.

PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Jaman
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Postby Jaman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:10 pm

so no metallics at all ie metalic paint

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Dez » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:04 pm

No metallics at all ;) Just white primer and washes ;)

edsgotjive
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challengeParticipated in King of the Hill

Postby edsgotjive » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:48 pm

Dez, do you custom mix the washes, or use the GW ones right out of the bottle?
Shop Smart...Shop S-Mart.

Snake Eyes
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Postby Snake Eyes » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:32 pm

edsgotjive wrote:Dez, do you custom mix the washes, or use the GW ones right out of the bottle?

I am pretty sure he uses regular GW washes, maybe a little mixing. It actually isn't too hard to do so :)

Many people use washes wrong, in which they smother the model with washes, little do they know that washes are meant to selective as they also tint paint on the model. In Dez's case, he created highlights and shadows using different amounts of wash on certain areas; he washed selectively.
Add Me On Xbox live: T7zAIN WR3K

Dez

Postby Dez » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:11 am

They are washes straight out of the bottle. But at the rate I go through them, it's going to be more cost effective for me to start making my own. It is a delicate technique, as I find out more each time I do it. The blending of different color washes also creates some neat effects!

Dez

Postby Dez » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:38 pm

Dez wrote:The topic for this month will be.....

WHEELS

It doesn't matter if its a bike, a trukk, rhino, landraider, leman russ, a unicycle, chariot, wheelbarrow, or a tire swing - as long its got a wheel(s) of any size it's fair game.

We have a winner! As per Falkner's PM to me:

"The winner would have to be - angrycanadian - his model just really captured the feel for this months theme. The sheer amount of modeling and converting was absolutely fantastic.

A special mention for Asrodrig - paint job is excellent. White is very hard to pull off and he pulled it off like a pro - very bright and clean, looks perfect.

Also to Dez and Victorious1 - unique model and unique technique. Painting in pure washes gave it a really different look. The 'unicycle' was very creative and the blending was also very nice."

Let's get geared up for next month!

Return to “Mini of the Month”