Mini of the Month May '13: "Magic"

An ongoing themed competition, hosted by Greywolf and Woulfgar
Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Mini of the Month May '13: "Magic"

Post by Dez » Mon May 06, 2013 11:33 am

It's the return of Mini of the Month! So get fresh blades in your xacto knives, knead up your greenstuff, straighten your bristles and show us what you've got!

Congratulations to busbina for winning in April and picking our theme this month.

May's theme is 'Magic Users'. Mages, Shamans, Librarians, Warcasters, etc. You could even create some cool magic terrain to represent Mysterious Terrain or Objectives. Use your imagination, go nuts! Multiple entries are allowed and ENCOURAGED!!!

Make sure you post a Work In Progress shot (NO or MINIMUM paint), as well as the finished product. PLEASE REMEMBER THAT MoTM IS A CONVERSION CONTEST, so no stock models!

BE FINISHED BY 11:59 May 29th, voting starts on the 29th and runs until early May 30h.

So welcome back, and let's see those entries! Please leave your questions here. Good luck everyone!

TELL YOUR FRIENDS! The more entries the merrier. First time converting? Throw your hat in the ring! This is the place to get some constructive feedback. Please link back here if you are posting in your WIP or Blog threads and spread the word!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Mini of the Month May '13: "Magic"

Post by Oceangrave0 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:08 pm

ohhhhhhhh i might actually be able to join this :D
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Carnifex160
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Location: Attempting to get out of the Eye of Terror. Not succeeding either.

Post by Carnifex160 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:02 pm

It's rubric marine time.

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:09 pm

I'll probably use this as a reason to get some of the new Reaper Bones miniatures :D
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

ozone88101
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengePlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by ozone88101 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:47 pm

Throwing my hat in the ring. Got a pretty good idea what I am gonna do, just need to get a few more things =D
TAU 10420-11350
GUE'VESSA 683
KROOT 1207
SISTERS 716
SANGUINE ANGELS 7725
I. GUARD 6265

H. Elves 4038
D. Elves 3943
Lizardmen 1095
Bretonnian 0 /cry
+ LOTR, Warmaster, Anima Tactics, Warmahordes

jmaddux
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by jmaddux » Tue May 07, 2013 12:00 am

I keep saying Ima do one of these, but this Time I really am, I need to make a DA ravenwing Librarian anyways so this is perfect time too. Im in.
Nids: 14k
DE: 12k
Harlequins: 4k
KDK: 3k
SoB: 3k

Sniperfex
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Sniperfex » Tue May 07, 2013 6:35 am

HERESY! *BLAM*

I'm out of this one gents... Ain't got no foul dark magics to work on this month ;)

maybe though if I had a Deathwatch Librarian to make
"Do you really want to waste your time
Wake up and live your life
I want to be your chemical ride"

Sniperfex, ruining people's hopes and dreams since 1993

jmaddux
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by jmaddux » Sat May 11, 2013 12:43 am

It is a Dark Angel Librarian, Made from Dark Angels Bike kit, Black Knights kit and some chaos space marine bits, With Green stuff on the legs, painted and based, took (not counting drying time) about 3 hours to completely do. LOL I know I am a slow painter :D

Base is just some thin Cork Board, sand and primed black, dry brush dark grey, then lighter gray and painted yellow road lines.

1st Glued

Green stuff

Fully Painted
Nids: 14k
DE: 12k
Harlequins: 4k
KDK: 3k
SoB: 3k

busbina
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by busbina » Sat May 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Awesome job the green stuff cloak is great.

Grumblesnore
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Grumblesnore » Sun May 12, 2013 8:23 am

Hmmm, I did just buy a chaos socrorer that I was thinking of modifying...
Exactly how much conversion work needs to be done on a mini for it to be acceptable? I assume swapping a head isn't enough?
Is green stuff use required?

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Sun May 12, 2013 9:30 am

We encourage all levels of conversions! I want boonies to get involved and learn. So join in, take a chance!

Carnifex160
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Location: Attempting to get out of the Eye of Terror. Not succeeding either.

Post by Carnifex160 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:18 am

Uploading my pic of my sorcerer later today

Grumblesnore
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Grumblesnore » Sun May 12, 2013 4:20 pm

Dez wrote:We encourage all levels of conversions! I want boonies to get involved and learn. So join in, take a chance!
Ok then, I will :D
I'll probably have pics up in a few days.

Grumblesnore
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Grumblesnore » Mon May 13, 2013 1:57 am

Conversion:
It's really simple, a Chaos Sorcerer Lord from WH Fantasy, I cut the top off the staff and swapped it with a banner top from the Chaos Warrior box.
Exchanged the head for a slightly trimmed chaos warrior helmet with the horns cut off.
Pic:
will hopefully be painted this weekend.

Dez

Post by Dez » Mon May 13, 2013 9:26 am

Looks good! I love that you gave him an enclosed helmet to remind people that Sorcerers have Chaos Armor. By remind, I mean rub it in their face :)