Mini of the Month January '13: STALWART COMPANION!

An ongoing themed competition, hosted by Greywolf and Woulfgar
xand
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Mini of the Month January '13: STALWART COMPANION!

Post by xand » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:14 am

I finished the painting today:

Lower body is from a Chaos Cultist, upper body is from Tomb Kings and the head and arm from the Dryad sets, meld points are greenstuff as is the vine wrapping around the skeletal arm.

I really didn't expect to get two things in this month, I'm kinda surprised at getting that all done with a two-year-old running around.
Nature Chaos: 1039 pts

Check out my WIP here:
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 26&t=69158

And my youtube channel here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cauldroncra ... e=g-subs-u

IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Post by IGfanatic » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:13 am

Okay, I have WIP pics, just need to post them.
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:19 am

Post those pics Iggy! You can't let Xand just be all alone with entries.

So I got mine finished, its a bit late in the month, but my excuse is I had to paint my first ever rhino as well as a full squad of 10 raptors which had priority.

I actually made 14 more custom cultists, some of which might be even better than this guy, but I need more glue for them so I can do their bases, I doubt I'll be able to get them all based in time for mini of the month.

P.S. If you want to know what bits where used, the legs and body are obviously cadian shocktroops, with the body having some carving on it. The sword is from the old OOP metal chaos knights, the pistol is from the new raptor kit, the head is a greatsword head with a scar carved into its right eye. The spikes are cut from a useless arch in the chaos vehicle sprue and the skull on the right shoulder is from an empire handgunner/crossbowmen kit upon which I did some heavy carving ti get it to fit into the shoulder pad.

The base is just some slate pieces glued to a base and painted by roughly following Dark Cresents base painting guide.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

xand
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by xand » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:43 am

I'm not going to count it, but I just picked up a comission to put a rising zombie "companion" on the base of a Typhus I'm working on... But it's not a full model (you don't see the lower half), so I'm not really going to count this one.

Nature Chaos: 1039 pts

Check out my WIP here:
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 26&t=69158

And my youtube channel here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cauldroncra ... e=g-subs-u

Arnathos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:23 am

Whelp, I know it might not exactly fit the theme, but it sort of does, so here is my 2nd entry:

I call them The Companions of the Word.

Sent to hunt down the traitor Sally, the veterans of the Onaroth 378th pursued Sally to the backwater planet Gerbold VII, when they arrived there, not only did they find Sally, but they also found the truth. The truth turned out to be more than they bargained for. Those that survived have now joined Sally and the cult leader as the Companions of the Word, ready to set their lives on the line, FOR CHAOS!!!

This an unpainted entry, I will try my best to get them all painted up and sexy by weeks end, if I can't do it I'd like them entered unpainted. If its disqualified for not fitting the theme closely enough I'll understand.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:59 am

Great looking Cultists/Traitor Guard. I really like the one with the skull breastplate. Concentrate on getting them painted up, only painted entries will count. We'll let the people decide in the voting if they fit the theme, I figure they do in a broad sense.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:52 pm

Whelp it took me a bit of work, but I got all of them painted up, to an okish standard, not really my best work, but acceptable and they look good from a couple of feet away!

I tried to get some pictures that showed all of them, I tried some tiny freehand on the shoulder pads here and there, their faces are a bit reddish for my taste, but nothing that cant be touched up later. I hope people will like this entry.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

meisenheimernicholas
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by meisenheimernicholas » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:24 pm

So much going on in that squad Arnathos! Ka-wow!

Also, xand, the level of detail on your conversions for that army are unbelievable, especially considering you have a little warrior of chaos running around the house.
Eldar - 5000 points
Tyranids - 2000 points
Imperial Fists - 1500 points

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:07 pm

They are all looking good!