I need help making a new game.

Play another game other than those listed above? Discuss them here!
m14
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

I need help making a new game.

Post by m14 » Thu May 28, 2009 4:48 pm

I'm having trouble making a new game, and I need some help with it. I started making a Yu-Gi-Oh style game a few years ago, but I quit working on it. Could I have some help getting the game up and running again please. I'm also trying to make a miniatures war game. Could I have some ideas for it. Nothing in line with Primal Horizon, but some kind of miniatures game. I'm thinking about a stick-figure war game, but that is still an idea. Please I need help!

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Re: I need help making a new game.

Post by A Luna » Thu May 28, 2009 5:43 pm

m14 wrote:I'm having trouble making a new game, and I need some help with it. I started making a Yu-Gi-Oh style game a few years ago, but I quit working on it. Could I have some help getting the game up and running again please. I'm also trying to make a miniatures war game. Could I have some ideas for it. Nothing in line with Primal Horizon, but some kind of miniatures game. I'm thinking about a stick-figure war game, but that is still an idea. Please I need help!
I'd like to help you but ... you quit.. so we have no idea where you are now, at what stage. Nor have an idea for what you had in mind for your other game.
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

m14

Post by m14 » Thu May 28, 2009 7:13 pm

For my card game, I made a deck for me, and my friend made a deck, but quit a month or two after starting. I would like to start making the game again. For my miniatures game, I plan on making a realistic type of game. Where instead of points values for your troops, they have money values. Everything except terrain costs money. You purchase soldiers and extra ammo for the soldiers. Tanks, airplanes ect. Does that seem like a decent backbone for a miniatures game? Could I have some help with creatures for my card game please.

Machinehead
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Machinehead » Thu May 28, 2009 11:00 pm

it looks like you took the point system and just renamed it (honestly read your post again before replying).
Theres 2 distinct problems with wanting to make a miniatures game: 1) Where are the minis coming from?
2) how is it unique.

For the first one are you really going to model and produce everything yourself? Or pay people to do it for you?
And secondly why am I going drawn to your game instead of Warhammer, or Hordes or Primal Horizon?

Your looking at a market constantly ready to oversaturate, so you need to start with something a lot more compelling that just realism. Is it realism in one of the world's real wars? For a created universe?

The next problem is that you talking about 2 games at the same time. Pick one and work on it, the other can wait it's turn.

m14

Post by m14 » Fri May 29, 2009 7:51 am

I'm working on the miniatures game right now. Forget everything about the card game. The money system similar to all other game's points system. The difference is that you have to pay for you soldiers to have more ammo and have more armor. I am thinking about including mercenaries as a group of people. These mercenaries are a bit more expensive, but can give you a wider range of weaponry to use against your opponent. The twist with mercenaries is that if your opponent uses the army that your mercenary would normally belong to, your opponent get's control of all your mercenaries and their equipment. For the movement, if soldiers are up on a building, they can only jump down one level to the ground each turn without suffering a wound. Cover is important in my game. Unlike Primal Horizon, every one has to be in cover, or behind someone that is in cover.

As far as the setting, it is based in World War III that started in 2010 after North Korea fired missiles at every country in the world. The world then went into a fight for survival amongst the countries. The only way for a country to stay an independent country is to defeat other countries, and make the conquered countries new territories for them.

I plan on making the miniatures used for the game any kind of miniatures you have, that way you don't have to spend lots more money. I may build a set of miniatures, but for now just use what ever miniatures you have around. I.E Orcs&Goblins from Fantasy, Imperial Guard from 40k, and Empire from Fantasy. My initial thought was use Imperial Guard miniatures as the backbone of miniatures for the game, but I have since sided against that. I feel using any miniatures would allow you to build up two armies at once, and therefore save you money. If you feel that using Imperial Guard miniatures as the miniatures of the game, just let me know or reply to the thread with what you would like to use as the miniatures of the game.

14ascheck
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by 14ascheck » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:28 am

Making these is harder than it seems.

1. You'll actually have to somehow produce your own line of minis.
2. You have to playtest everything a gazillion times.
3. You have to be able to run a somewhat standardized business.
Tyranid Hive Fleet Tempest - 2,700 Points and growing...
Tau - 176 points (Slow but steady...)
92% of teens (and 'young folks') have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.