I'm writing a skirmish system

Play another game other than those listed above? Discuss them here!
Terrain4Print
MiniWarGaming Regular

I'm writing a skirmish system

Post by Terrain4Print » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:50 pm

And it's called Multiverse marauders. Do you like skirmishes?

It's supposed to be simple and play fast. Much less detailed than warmachine. Maybe a bit more detailed than Warhammer AOS. You can play single matches using one of several scenarios or campaigns. There are several suggestions for playing campaigns. The setting is universal. A warband from Lord of the rings can meet a bunch of russian partisans from WWII, or Batman. The rules include bulding your warband from scratch with many traits and spells. The spell fireball can mean that you are an artillery spotter. "Fire high explosive in grid 112-45" *kaboom*

The basics are this: For each model in your warband, put an order dice in an opaque bag. Have dice from both sides in the same bag but with different, easily separated colors. Draw dice and activate models until the bag is empty. Place the order die next to the model with the intended order up. Once a player have selected a model to activate, the other player can try to interrupt this by drawing another die from the bag. If it is the correct color, the interrupting model may do his stuff before. There are orders that you can or must keep between turns. Under some circumstances a model may be Dazed. This is represented by turning the order dice to show that. It can be shaken off by doing a Training roll at the turn start. A model can also be defending. If a model is hard pressed you can keep that order between turns.

Hitting and damaging are determined in the same die roll. If Melee+D6 beats Defense+D6 the target suffers a wound. After three wounds a model is out. However, there are special traits to make you good against big big targets, for instance. Big big models can also do overrun against normal models. It can be a Land raider running over some viking fighters. Oh yeah, there are rules for building vehicles.

It's not the intention to run battles with models from distinctly different worlds. But it is possible. If you pit vikings against space marines, be sure to include a couple of norse gods on the viking side, space marines have tough armour.

Do you think it sounds interesting?

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: I'm writing a skirmish system

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:41 pm

The things I've found with playing a skirmish game that makes it fun are stuff like, not being predictable (having one team so OP it's like round one GG), having a storyline/immersive element (like Malifaux having a series of random schemes and strategies for straight games, as well as a campaign mode), a way to level up so to speak (Frostgrave warband for instance), a way to advance the story as well (tied in with schemes, campaign mode, although it can simply be starting with a stronger crew next time, simply adding in more models) and simplicity of the rules. Not that that last bit, should be last!

I'm not 100% sold on the dice idea in this use. You have to trust your partner has put the dice in etc, it also seems a little too random maybe? You'd prolly have to test it, and see how it works out, if it needs to be tweaked, if it's too easily cheated etc.

Just some other thoughts - I dunno warmachine, but having terrain make a difference to the game, is a lot more fun and another randomized element (though it can be set by campaigns). How are you handling height differences? The vertical aspect can be important, for movement, for blocking and for sniping. Malifaux has the rules for LOS based on height, set heights for terrain (like 1" is one level) and falling damage for instance. It doesn't do it particularly *well* but it has it, and I find it enjoyable.

40k has very little of that from what I've seen, mostly likely due to needing to keep your squad together, it can be hard to 'climb' and afaik it doesn't affect nearly as much as it would in Malifaux.

How are you handling LOS? and cover in general? Do you assume a 360o firing arc or a more focused one? Can models turn in place or does that cost movement?

What about weather effects? It could be optional of course some people don't like that level of immersion, but I find it interesting to consider what would it be like if visibility were lowered because it's foggy? or raining making a lot of mud and slowing movement?

Anyway just some thoughts!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Terrain4Print
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: I'm writing a skirmish system

Post by Terrain4Print » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:31 pm

@Guildenstern
Thank you for your thoughts, good insight! I have written quite a lot but obviously, need much testing.

About campaigns with story lines. That is a very good idea. I will write something like that. That campaign will then be with a setting, thats nice. I am still going to keep the open campaign system where you can play what the hell you like. In the existing campaign system, models collect experience and can improve their stats. Warbands earns gold and that can be used to complement experience when improving models. The gold is used to pay a trainer or buy better gear.
I'm not 100% sold on the dice idea in this use. You have to trust your partner has put the dice in etc, it also seems a little too random maybe? You'd prolly have to test it, and see how it works out, if it needs to be tweaked, if it's too easily cheated etc.
The dice in the bag are not a secret. There should be no way to cheat. :-) However they should be the same size so you can't feel the difference between them. It is very much copied from Bolt action. After playing a few games this way, I'm quite certain it works.
Just some other thoughts - I dunno warmachine, but having terrain make a difference to the game, is a lot more fun and another randomized element (though it can be set by campaigns). How are you handling height differences? The vertical aspect can be important, for movement, for blocking and for sniping. Malifaux has the rules for LOS based on height, set heights for terrain (like 1" is one level) and falling damage for instance. It doesn't do it particularly *well* but it has it, and I find it enjoyable.
If you play 28mm (or something like it) models can pay 1 inch of movement to cross obstacles up to 1 inch high. There are spells and traits to make a model climb. I have falling damage. A model involved in melee that makes a bad dice roll must roll on the fumble chart and can then tumble off a cliff. I am not (so far) writing anything in the rules about how the terrain should be built. But maybe I should add something about climbing ladders though.
How are you handling LOS? and cover in general? Do you assume a 360o firing arc or a more focused one? Can models turn in place or does that cost movement?
I use wysiwyg (lean down to the table and look over the models head). If it can see the target, you have LOS. But then there are cover. Soft cover (bushes, grass, and other soft items you can shoot through) is not so bad. If you know where the model is, you can aim for the chest even if you don't see it. Hard cover (buildings, rocks etc) is worse. Also I separate partial and full cover. You can shoot at targets in cover from your own models, but you risk hitting them.

A model have a 180 degree firing arc. But you can rotate before firing. This only affects the game when a model is using delayed fire. Delayed fire is when the model waits for another model moving.
What about weather effects? It could be optional of course some people don't like that level of immersion, but I find it interesting to consider what would it be like if visibility were lowered because it's foggy? or raining making a lot of mud and slowing movement?
That could be a pretty cool optional rule. I have one scenario where it is dark, with limited sight range. One model has two counters on the board. One is fake and the other is the actual model. The counters can move around like the normal model. When a counter sees another counter, their nature is revealed and fake counters are removed. I'm not sure it works, needs to be tested.

Thank you for you thoughs, some good suggestions there!