First Game

Reach out and Crush someone! Monsterpocalypse has arrived. Discuss it here!
DavicusPrime
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

First Game

Post by DavicusPrime » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:08 pm

Well, I finally got to play this lovely little game. I was stuck using identical monsters (Defender-X) as my opponent forgot his monster at home. But we had an interesting time of it anyway.

First game, played on Block War, the models came from 6 unit boosters and 2 starters. So I've got a fairly good cross section of models.

The Armies:

My Opponent
Defender X

2 G-Tank
1 G-Tank Elite
4 Spitters
1 Task Master
1 Squix Elite
1 Meat Slave
1 Crawler
2 Vanguard
1 Vanguard Elite
1 Hunter

Me:
Defender-X

2 G-Tanks
1 Rocket Chopper Elite
2 Belchers
1 Belcher Elite
1 Crawler
1 Sun Fighter
2 Carnidons
1 Carnidon Elite
1 Raptix
1 Raptix Elite

Results: I won the first game... At first I was winning by a pretty high margin, wiping the opponent's alpha, but once he was in Ultra form things changed back the other way pretty quick. At the end I won but only had a couple wounds left on my Ultra.

What I learned: Right away we found out that spawning non-faction units sucks. That extra A-Die per spawn really limits your ability to control the board. This was made worse by the being forced to use the same faction monster and not having enough faction units to go around. When he brings his monster next week, that issue will be resolved. I also learned that passing up on an opportunity to make a high yield rampage to try and give the opposing monster a point or two of damage was a poor choice. The P-Dice that you can earn from a multi-hit power attack will allow you to do much more damage to the opposing monster over the following turns.

Second Game, same lists but we played the other side of the starter map... can't think of the name at the moment.

Results: I got spanked. I brought both of my opponent's forms down to 2pts each but I just couldn't finish anything off due to a complete failure to secure enough P-Dice to do much of anything.

What I Learned: Don't use units to attack the opposing monster in lieu of securing a solid P-die income. I sent all my units out against the opposing monster because he moved right in to my side of the map. But what I should have done was to load up on units and secure as many power points and buildings as I could right away. I had a pair of apartment buildings I could have secured with three units which would have reduced the spawn costs of all those non-faction units. But I took too long doing it trying to fight off the monster. The resulting lack of P-Dice meant never being able to make my monster turns count.

I really like this game, win or lose. My main fear is that this whole collectable angle will get the better of me and I'll go all Pokemon on it... ie. "Got to collect them all!!!!"

later,
-DavicusPrime
favoredctan: "you wound me, sir."
demarcosg: "Roll armour save."
My PhotoBucket Page

Mattman154
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Re: First Game

Post by Mattman154 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:11 pm

So, if you were to compare this game to 40k based on:

Fun
Learnability
Collectibility
price
getting started

How would you rank them?

Also, you said "Don't use units to attack the opposing monster in leu of securing a solid P-Die income." Does that mean this game is kind of like an RTS? you need to find the balance of resources and offensive/defensive 'ness?

Machinehead
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Machinehead » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:26 pm

Mattman154 wrote:Also, you said "Don't use units to attack the opposing monster in leu of securing a solid P-Die income." Does that mean this game is kind of like an RTS? you need to find the balance of resources and offensive/defensive 'ness?
BINGO

Mattman154

Post by Mattman154 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:28 pm

Machinehead wrote:
Mattman154 wrote:Also, you said "Don't use units to attack the opposing monster in leu of securing a solid P-Die income." Does that mean this game is kind of like an RTS? you need to find the balance of resources and offensive/defensive 'ness?
BINGO

hmm, that does sound like fun :shock:

DavicusPrime
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by DavicusPrime » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:29 pm

Mattman154 wrote:So, if you were to compare this game to 40k based on:

Fun
Learnability
Collectibility
price
getting started

How would you rank them?

Also, you said "Don't use units to attack the opposing monster in leu of securing a solid P-Die income." Does that mean this game is kind of like an RTS? you need to find the balance of resources and offensive/defensive 'ness?
For fun I'd say about equal for me, but there are some mitigating factors that lean towards Monsterpocalypse: logistics - it takes less time and effort to get a game up and running with Monsterpocalypse. You don't need a gametable, terrain etc. Just a flat surface about 3' x 3' will do (eg. Card table). That makes it a lot easier to get a game in where ever you are.

Learnability? For a simple looking board game, this thing is actually quite complex. Like 40K, you have some basics, then lots of army specific rules/abilities that need to be learned. So our first game took over 2 hours because we were figuring things out. The second game, we knew more but it went about 2hrs because we were tired (game ended about 1:00AM) and we got a little loopy. After two games I feel pretty confident that we were up to speed on the models we had handy. I think 40K takes a bit longer to learn.

Collectable? Well, the random nature of the purchases already burned me in regard to monsters. But the secondary market for specific models is already in full swing. With an active group of gamers trades become an option (actually one of the intents of the game according to the designers). Unfortunatly I don't have any groups close that I'm aware of.

Price... $50US gets you two starters which has the bare minimum to play. 4 assorted units (Spitter, Carnidon, G-Tank and Vanguard), a pair of buildings (Apartment Complex and Downtown Highrise), a random Monster Alpha + Ultra then the damage tracker, rules, map and dice. Compared to AoBR, this isn't as impressive a starter. As for adding boosters, a unit booster is 1 random building and 4 units (1 rare, 1 uncommon and 2 commons per box) for $13US. And Monster Boosters are 1 random monster Alpha + Ultra for $13US. You don't know what you're getting in any given box which is annoying but like I said, a good secondary market already exists online and trading with friends and acquaintences is always an option. I have spent a total of $128US on this and have the following: 32 units (4-7 units per each of the 6 factions), 10 buildings and 2 monsters. This is enough to play a great for-fun game, but isn't going to yield a solid force for a serious tourney situation.

Looks like getting started is kinda covered above. A starter and a couple unit boosters per player would be a great start for a total noob. So about $51US + tax per player would get you going. Had I not won $100 from the gloriously awesome dudes and dudette at MWG.com I would probably started much slower than I did.

As for RTS? The main mechanic in this game is dice management. You get 10 Action Dice (A-Dice) which limit the number of things you can do in a turn. Your specific minis gain Boost Dice (B-Dice) that you can add to the A-Dice for specific actions. And you can earn upto 10 Power Dice (P-Dice) that your monster can use to suppliment the A-Dice available.

The other side of things is that you must divide up your turns between your units and your monster. The A-Dice move between your unit and monster dice pools. Where those dice are determine which type of turn you should take. So if you have no dice in your unit pool you have to take a monster turn. But if you have dice in both you can choose which one will be the most useful at the time but since the dice are divided, neither will have full effect. Having a large pool of P-Dice allows you the potential to successfully pull off 2 monster turns in a row which can be devestating. The way to get extra out of a unit turn is taking actions that utilize as many B-Dice as possible, but I'm not sure 2 unit turns in a row would be as useful as they are for a monster.

Units serve a dual purpose of using and activating map elements to support the force as a whole and as direct attackers. Holding objectives on the map and securing buildings with the units is the main way to gain P-Dice. The other way is to cause direct damage to units, monsters and structures. But monsters are the ones who excel at gaining P-Dice through destruction, so if that's your goal, units aren't gonna do it for you.

My main mistake was focusing on using my units to attack instead of working on my P-Die accumulation. It seems that it's a good idea to secure your resources first then spawn units designed to do damage in the following turns.

The mix of vastly varying model abilities and the dice management strategies makes this game very complex but the fact that we were getting it by game 2 makes me think this is an easier game to pick up than 40K/WHFB/LotR. And the prefab models and terrain limits the prep work to play pretty much to finding a flat surface to play on.

I gives it a thumbs up. It isn't gonna replace 40K for me but it's worthy.

-DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page

Mattman154

Post by Mattman154 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:35 pm

Thanks for your solid explanation and answer to my questions! I probably will not try it personally, because the people in my area are mostly 40k, and not into trying new things =(

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:02 pm

Glad to hear you had as much fun was we did with our first games! I think Justin and I put about 2 hours into our first game as well.

We've tended towards a house rule that when doing intro games, or playing with people who have smaller groups of units, we toss out the 'Non-Faction Units cost an Extra A-Die' rule - though this was accidental at first because Justin and I both overlooked the rule our first time out ;) It does help level the playing field for people who don't have many units.

I'm definitely itching to get another game in... having the club closed is murder!
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

DavicusPrime

Post by DavicusPrime » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:58 am

Well for me the only friend so far that plays Monsterpocalypse lives in Idaho and I'm in Washington State. So I understand not getting to play much... Thankfully he's here fairly often for business.

The rotten thing is that I haven't had a chance to play 40K since before 5th ed came out and I've got GW shops all over the place I could be frequenting. I'm going to have to change that. :)

-DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page

Mattman154

Post by Mattman154 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:18 am

you should! I'd kill for a club near me