Monster Mash

Reach out and Crush someone! Monsterpocalypse has arrived. Discuss it here!
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Monster Mash

Post by Machinehead » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:40 pm

Got thinking about this on Saturday, the possibility of running a game without units. Now before I begin, I'm in no way saying do away with units for all games. This is just a varient play style I've been mentally going over that I think will be fun once in a while.

Really there's 2 main problems with playing without units: the dice pool resource management would go right out the window, and secondly P-dice would be a lot harder to maintain.

Problem the first: One scenario I thought of was to only refill the action dice pool when all of them had been used up. Example, if you do your turn and have 3 dice left, thats your dice for the next turn.
I believe this will work if you know your not getting dice back until they've all been used your either going to try and use them all in one turn, or set some aside to use next turn. And it can be difficult to use all the dice in one turn without pushing them.
There are times when this falls apart: Terra Khan's Brawl of 9.

Problem Jr: With no units around to smash we'd have to rely a lot more on buildings, and if there's not enough buildings on set up and it make for a long game (also if all the buildings are used for dmg rather than P-dice). But then again maybe this is another level of strategy (do I blow up the building and deny the opponent, or use it for dmg to end the game quicker?)

Like I said, this is just my own brain storming and in no way am I trying to drastically change the mechanics of the game. Just thinking of some that could be fun once in a while (this could also make getting more people into a game easier)

Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Location: I sleep on the MWG floor, curled up with my mini's.

Re: Monster Mash

Post by Joe » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:03 pm

I really just want to play again and smash stuff. Wednesday sounds good to me ;)

As for just Monsters... I like the idea of a little bit of managing your dice. Maybe up the pool to like 12-15. Something like that. Just an idea. This would limit what you could do the second turn, especially if you are trying to move attack and then the second turn move and attack again.

Or maybe if you only get the Dice you use for the next turn? Hummmm actually that would give the advantage to higher dice usages.

I don't know, I am sure there is something that can be done. Once I get a better handle of the game we can play test some stuff.

I would also like to try something where it is all just units against a monster... maybe a small squad like 4 or something. They units have to stop the monster from destroying a set number of buildings to win. Just an idea to toss around.
If you're blue and you don't know
where to go to why don't you go
where fashion sits...

And that is why Kharn was cut from the original cast of Puttin' on the Ritz.

Eldar - 8000-ish
Space Marine - 1500+

MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #4Group Build Badge #7Group Build Badge #8Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by Cazaius » Sat May 09, 2009 4:00 am

Monster mash?

Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by harrywatson66 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:47 am

The recording was the first time that Only had performed lead vocals for the band, while then-Misfits lead singer Michale Graves provided backing vocals. The Misfits' version of "Monster Mash" was used in a cross-promotion campaign arranged by Deluxo and John Cafiero, who had directed the Misfits' music videos for "American Psycho" and "Dig Up Her Bones", to create awareness of a home video release of the 1969 Rankin/Bass stop motion film Mad Monster Party.

Return to “Monsterpocalypse”