Smeg... Why did I give in and give this game a look?

Reach out and Crush someone! Monsterpocalypse has arrived. Discuss it here!
DavicusPrime
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Smeg... Why did I give in and give this game a look?

Post by DavicusPrime » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:35 am

So... I'm intrigued. I'm thinking about picking up a couple starters for this thing after Christmas. So with a pair of starters, is that going to be enough to actually get a satisfying game or should I also grab a couple boosters at the same time?

-DavicusPrime
favoredctan: "you wound me, sir."
demarcosg: "Roll armour save."
My PhotoBucket Page

Fireman Tim
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #2Group Build Badge #4Group Build Badge #5

Re: Smeg... Why did I give in and give this game a look?

Post by Fireman Tim » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:49 am

A pair of starters will give you 2 monsters, 2 sets of dice, 2 health trackers, 4 buildings and 8 units from 4 different factions and 2 sets of the same map.

You can field up to 15 units in your army, and if agreed apon by your oppenent, two montsers each.

Two starter packs is a very good way to start, but you will soon find that you will want more units to match your two monster's factions (there are 6 factions). The Unit Boosters is the best way to fill that gap, but without someone to trade with (ie off load your unwanted units for ones that you need), you will probably find yourself buying the needed units off of ebay. I am sure people here on the board would be willing to trade too.

You can easily play a decent game with one monster per side, and 5+ units each. The real fun comes with more buidlings, so 5+ buidlings per side is recommended as the basic maps can accomidate around 16 buildings.

Hope this helps.
"Kneel before Zod!"

DavicusPrime
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by DavicusPrime » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:15 pm

That helps greatly. I'm looking to get the starters and a couple unit boosters up front to see how it works. My son is a bit young for it but I was thinking playing the stripped down rules could be a fun way to introduce him to it and see if it's something he'd like.

He and my daughter both tried out battlefleet gothic this last week and enjoyed it and, more importantly, stuck with it through a whole game. Their attention span is normally pretty short, but the ship-to-ship stuff caught and held it. The giant monster concept definatly appeals to the little man. So I'm hoping he takes to the game so I have an excuse... :P

The collectable part of this sort of game tends to irritate me, but with ebay and the less annoying rarity system Privateer Press is using, I think I'll survive. Also nice that I've already downloaded the rules so that part isn't a mystery either.

Thanks.

-DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page

DavicusPrime

Post by DavicusPrime » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:18 pm

Alrighty... I've got 2 starters headed my way. And as soon as the results of the latest MWG contest is sorted out I'll buy as many unit boosters as my budget can handle.

So is my understanding of the rarity system solid: Unit booster = 1 Rare, 1 Uncommon and 2 common?

Also, are the units and buildings included in the starters always the same?

-DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page

Fireman Tim
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #2Group Build Badge #4Group Build Badge #5

Post by Fireman Tim » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:31 pm

are the units and buildings included in the starters always the same?
Yes
"Kneel before Zod!"

patapon13
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by patapon13 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:28 am

HA HA HA
smeg
thats fromred dwarf(UK)
Buy it, build it, paint it, play it, sell it then start again. Thats my motto!
Starting an Ork count as Tyranid army.

DavicusPrime

Post by DavicusPrime » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:25 pm

Yes... Da Boyz from da Dwarf in da house!

Just got my shipment of unit boosters! 24 units and only 2 were Martians... I really hope when my starters get here I don't get a Martian Monster. :-P I only got three terrasaur units but two of the three were elites so I'm not complaining.

Otherwise, the other factions came in a rather even spread. The only faction I didn't get two rare or semi-rare units from was the Shadowsun Syndicate. But I'll live.

Of all the stuff I did get I came up very short on flying units... Only one sunfighter, rocket chopper and squix each. Lots of ground hugging blaster types though. With the starters I'll have a sizable tank regement for the GUARD types and a battery of spitters for the Cthul dudes and belchers for the PE's. They just won't be getting much air support. :-)

Must get starters... Must find time to play. ARRRRGH!

-DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page

pretygirl
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by pretygirl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:24 pm

Life is too short to be serious, laugh it up.

gratuit pour mobile sonnerie portable mp3 - Sonnerie portable MP3 est en effet un pouvoir de l'innovation technologique. Êtes-vous familier avec cette sonnerie portable?gratuit pour mobile sonnerie portable mp3

Solid_Smurf
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Solid_Smurf » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:36 am

I might not be the best, but I've made who ever is quite nervous.
*recovering from games workshop*

yoyomansizzle
Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by yoyomansizzle » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:35 pm

Solid_Smurf wrote:Image
How could you smurf?
Rengar 2012.
"Sizzles picture art is different though. He actually took the time to create the picture he posted using photo shop software. That is creativity. You newb trolls could learn something from him." -Vassago42

Return to “Monsterpocalypse”