Expanding Monsterpocalypse

Reach out and Crush someone! Monsterpocalypse has arrived. Discuss it here!
Fireman Tim
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #2Group Build Badge #4Group Build Badge #5

Expanding Monsterpocalypse

Post by Fireman Tim » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:13 pm

I was thinking it would be great if we could take Monsterpocalypse to the next level. Maybe we could abandon the map with its grid format and move to a wargame table, using range rulers to measure movement and blasting? Bingo chips for spawn points, power and negatie zones.

Any thoughts?
"Kneel before Zod!"

Machinehead
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Re: Expanding Monsterpocalypse

Post by Machinehead » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:31 pm

I dont know about changing to measuring tapes for distance, one thing that seems to be key is the 1 diagonal per movement, it be a little hard to keep up with that is your using rulers rather than a set grid

Hacker (I really am)
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Hacker (I really am) » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:39 pm

I haven't played but I was thinking that it would be fun to have a couple different "BIG" maps. Or is it possible to joining a couple together?

I would also like to know how big the Maps are? I can probably get a small piece of plexi to put over the maps so they stay nice and flat while you play on them. If you can shoot me a measurement I will see what they are worth at work.

Fireman Tim
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #2Group Build Badge #4Group Build Badge #5

Post by Fireman Tim » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:15 pm

I dont know about changing to measuring tapes for distance, one thing that seems to be key is the 1 diagonal per movement, it be a little hard to keep up with that is your using rulers rather than a set grid
I think the 1 diagonal movement thing keeps units/monsters from making unrealistic movement (ie 6" sideways as opposed to 9" diagnoal). That is the probem with grids, hexes on the other hand do a better job of keeping diagonal movement.

I think it is worth a try.
"Kneel before Zod!"

Eric.West
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Eric.West » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:20 am

I think changing the map is a good idea, either using a scanner + photoshop to make new maps, or physcially make a modular board on that pinboard that we set the map on last time. Power nodes that clip into the holes, buidlings could fit in the same ect.

I think its best to try and keep it to the squares for simplicities sake at the least. But if we had a bunch of these peices that snapped into the pinboard we could make a totally differant map in seconds, and expand to it easily. The pinboard already has its own squares because of the grid of holes.

Reguardless by the sounds of it were going to find something that works, and change it ;D Monsterpocalypse is going to get alot of upgrades at MWGing.
Successful trades : Greywolf[traded with him 3+ times], Lyzander17, Joe, Rhino, Fighting Gopher, More Dakka [Traded an entire army]

Solid_Smurf
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Solid_Smurf » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:53 pm

I know they just released the new map pack in the US, idk about Canada, but you could set up 2 maps side by side.
I might not be the best, but I've made who ever is quite nervous.
*recovering from games workshop*

Machinehead
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Machinehead » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:48 pm

Eric.West wrote:I think changing the map is a good idea, either using a scanner + photoshop to make new maps, or physcially make a modular board on that pinboard that we set the map on last time. Power nodes that clip into the holes, buidlings could fit in the same ect.

I think its best to try and keep it to the squares for simplicities sake at the least. But if we had a bunch of these peices that snapped into the pinboard we could make a totally differant map in seconds, and expand to it easily. The pinboard already has its own squares because of the grid of holes.

Reguardless by the sounds of it were going to find something that works, and change it ;D Monsterpocalypse is going to get alot of upgrades at MWGing.
this idea i like more, the idea of taking a game designed for a grid and redesigning it to use measuring tapes doesn't sit right with me

Fireman Tim

Post by Fireman Tim » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:18 pm

this idea i like more, the idea of taking a game designed for a grid and redesigning it to use measuring tapes doesn't sit right with me
I am fine with that. I am not a huge fan of the maps as I wish they were hard matted or something and did not have those creases on them.

I know of an online store that makes cloth gaming mats with various sized squares on them. I wonder if they make one on a dark grey fabric, then I could airbrush concrete and parks on them?
"Kneel before Zod!"

Dallen49

Post by Dallen49 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:39 pm

i have an idea, perhaps get a clear grid 4x4 and put it over the war hammer tables and then put scenery on top and then you have the scenery no creases and a nice table with grid

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:43 pm

I'd recommend using the Modular D&D Board we're building, but it's a 1 inch Grid, and Monsterpocalypse sadly uses 3cm grids - it's enough of a difference that units side by side would affect each other a little too much.

I'm wondering if we can find small Ceramic Tiles (like those used in Showers) that are 3cm (or a bit larger) square... then we could easily just buy a few hundred of them and work out a modular system. It would definitely be a big undertaking ;) it would keep the Grid look and Feel as well.

One other place I'd like to expand is introducing Monuments - The Statue of Liberty, The Coliseum, etc - large, clearly distinguished structures, that would take multiple hits to destroy, essentially having their own life tracker. Perhaps even a HeroClix type tracker where the 'health' a Monument has determines its properties.

With Monuments in place, we could begin our Winter World Domination Campaign ;)
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

DavicusPrime
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by DavicusPrime » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:49 pm

Why is it the first thing that pops into our noggins is to make all things bigger... I'm going to blame it on 40K Apocalypse. :P

For tourneys and such, a selection of the official 17 x 17 grid PP maps would probably be best. But for a fun one-off event a larger map could be very interesting.

But as soon as I looked at the game and the example map in the rulebook I thought that it would be a great idea to make larger maps... but I have no idea what that would do to the game balance. It would be really interesting to multiply the size of the "city" to allow for full on multi-player games. But you'd also have to sort out rules for how monsters would interact between players when you break out of the typical head-to-head match.

My brainstorming thus far...
Say you organized a big game with a massive map splitting the players up into two umbrela factions based on their monster: Earth (Shadow Sun, G.U.A.R.D. and Terrasaurs) vs. The Others (Martians, Planet Eaters, Chtul).

Each player gets the usual monster, 4-15 units and 2-12 buildings and one set of dice.

Where things might break down is with the multi-monster power attacks... it would make sense that allied players should be able to combine forces for a 2 monster power attack but you'd open the possibility of letting two sets worth of dice be in use for those attacks. So allied monster combos could end up being a bit too potent.

I am still waiting on my first starter sets dang it. All this stuff is making me even more impatient... :?

-DavicusPrime
favoredctan: "you wound me, sir."
demarcosg: "Roll armour save."
My PhotoBucket Page

Chaptermaster27
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Chaptermaster27 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:46 am

Dallen49 wrote:One other place I'd like to expand is introducing Monuments - The Statue of Liberty, The Coliseum, etc - large, clearly distinguished structures, that would take multiple hits to destroy, essentially having their own life tracker. Perhaps even a HeroClix type tracker where the 'health' a Monument has determines its properties.
i think monuments would be a great idea plus with some sort of multiple hit needed to destroy them would be great :lol: :lol: :o

DavicusPrime
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by DavicusPrime » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:32 pm

I Chomp NY will include the Statue of Liberty if the sneak peeks that have been circulating are accurate.

I'm thinking for the sake of simplicity, PP won't go changing the definitions of model types. The rules are pretty tight regarding what effects Monsters vs. Units vs. Structures. Allowing for multi-hit structures would alter too many details of game play to avoid messing things up.

Also, unless they provide a damage tracker on the model itself, keeping track of damage on a multi-hit structure would be a nusiance, which PP appears to be trying to avoid with the existing system: Monsters use a health tracker, everything else is either on the map or outright destroyed.

But house rules... That's a whole other story. :)

-DavicusPrime
favoredctan: "you wound me, sir."
demarcosg: "Roll armour save."
My PhotoBucket Page

Dallen49

Post by Dallen49 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:37 pm

Chaptermaster27 wrote:
Dallen49 wrote:One other place I'd like to expand is introducing Monuments - The Statue of Liberty, The Coliseum, etc - large, clearly distinguished structures, that would take multiple hits to destroy, essentially having their own life tracker. Perhaps even a HeroClix type tracker where the 'health' a Monument has determines its properties.
i think monuments would be a great idea plus with some sort of multiple hit needed to destroy them would be great :lol: :lol: :o
when did i say that?

Return to “Monsterpocalypse”