Monsterpocalypse without a community?

Reach out and Crush someone! Monsterpocalypse has arrived. Discuss it here!
JewishNinja
First post! Good job, now post more...

Monsterpocalypse without a community?

Post by JewishNinja » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:14 am

I'm rather interested in buying Monsterpocalypse and playing it, but seeing as I live in South Africa where war games aren't to popular due to cost, I'm not going to really have a community to trade and play with.

My question is this, is Monsterpocalypse worth getting as more of a board game than a war game? In other words I'll end up building up to armies and playing with friends.

Joe
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Location: I sleep on the MWG floor, curled up with my mini's.

Re: Monsterpocalypse without a community?

Post by Joe » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:33 am

It is a fun game, and I am pretty sure they have rules for a single player scenario, although I have never tried it myself.

Sure you could just collect 2 armies and play with friends, but with the same units and Monsters, I think the game would get a little stale. That is only my opinion though, and I don't want to discourage you from getting a really fun game.
If you're blue and you don't know
where to go to why don't you go
where fashion sits...
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

And that is why Kharn was cut from the original cast of Puttin' on the Ritz.

Eldar - 8000-ish
Space Marine - 1500+

zbunn24
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by zbunn24 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:17 pm

One way that a lot of us have found a way to play without having a large community is through an online system called vassal. Of course, this does not replace face to face gameplay but it's great for learning and getting games in when you otherwise cannot. Here is a discussion about it on the official forums that links to a guide to installing and using the software:

http://forums.monsterpocalypse.com/view ... f=2&t=4820

I play about once a week on the software and several face to face games. There are generally matches to be found online at almost any time.

harrywatson66
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by harrywatson66 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:51 am

Monsterpocalypse however manages to find a new balance in its theme of monster versus monster combat. You see, in old monster movies the focus was always on two monsters doing battle which is primarily a one on one conflict. Miniatures games however have been about putting together entire forces or armies, so Privateer Press had to create a whole new system of miniatures play.