Mordor Army of the Dead: 1000 points

Delve into the world of Middle Earth and discuss tactics, strategies, and anything you want about the Lord of the Rings Battle Strategy Game.
Azeebo
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Mordor Army of the Dead: 1000 points

Post by Azeebo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:41 am

Hey

So here is my take in a Mordor based Army of the Dead. I think it is pretty darn snazzy.

Warband One

The Necromancer

10 Dead Marsh Specters

Warband Two

The Dwimmerlaik

10 Dead Marsh Specters

Warband Three

The Shadow Lord

8 Dead Marsh Specters

Warband Four

Castellan of Dol Guldur
Morgul Blade

Warband Five

Castellan of Dol Guldur
Morgul Blade

The idea is to destroy my enemies plans by literally draining their courage, and using it against them. Specters can take control over enemies, allowing me to move people i want dead, forward, and moving people i dont want to engage back. At the same time, i have 3 strong wizards and for my REAL combat punch, i have 2 castellans, who are already good in combat, but with little chance of getting killed off by a retaliation thanks to overwhelming magic, and causing instant death to heroes. Despite having no real combat potential, being able to drain my opponents Might Will and Fate with the dwimmerlaik, drain their courage with the necromancer and magic, and control how my opponent moves with specters, i feel like i have quite the advantage over most foes. Thats not to forget the shadowlord making it difficult to hit my force with shooting, and having a naturally high D across the board.
HammerOfTheEmperor - Common users must take Azeebo in small doses, lest they get overwhelmed by his awesomeness

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

khani
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: Mordor Army of the Dead: 1000 points

Post by khani » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:46 am

double post bud, looks solid
..... :mrgreen:
Khani is more OT family then Shas! There I said it! -IGfanatic

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman

Azeebo

Post by Azeebo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:57 am

Whoops, thanks for the heads up.
HammerOfTheEmperor - Common users must take Azeebo in small doses, lest they get overwhelmed by his awesomeness

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

WargamingPLUS
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by WargamingPLUS » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:15 pm

It looks likes a solid list, although your break limit is very low for a 1,000pt game so I would watch out for that.

respect92
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by respect92 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:03 am

I looked at views, I posted the thread about Knights of Rohan yesterday and now I have 15 views. You to posted yesterday and have almost 200 views
:lol:
Please nerf damage of GW-prized minis.
Best regards the Wallet

Azeebo

Post by Azeebo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:59 am

respect92 wrote:I looked at views, I posted the thread about Knights of Rohan yesterday and now I have 15 views. You to posted yesterday and have almost 200 views
:lol:
i posted months ago lol

respect92
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by respect92 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:34 am

Oh, I looked at last post date. That explains it.
Please nerf damage of GW-prized minis.
Best regards the Wallet

francisco
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by francisco » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:09 pm

Sorry for posting late but theres a comment from some 1 experienced in Dol guldur army
Seems nice but there is a problem....

Castellans being formed by 1 warband only can be a problem, specially in the deployment.
Also castellans can be fairly beaten up in combat why? they got no might power, there not much a threat to big monsters like normal captains do cause they dont have might to call moves, change the dice roll or anysort.
I wouldn´t trust castellans 2 much, maybe 1 yea.

The remain list is curious but remember specters range is kinda limited and youre basically tie up enemy units if so... go fight elves and youre screwed, their range is short + its very likely they wont fail their leadership test. Dwarves are slightly less but no less effective and man might be the race who suffers most from it but its its not 100% sure and there cheap making their armies twice as much, overwhelming you.
I would rather take 2/3 of those specters and take on dol guldur orcs.
True they are slightly more expensive than regular orcs but with fight and shooting equivalent to an uruk hai, makes this orcs quite sturdy in battle specially with captains with fight 5, also increase the edge of army breaking.

Shaman can be pretty important with the fury, allowing to you have a chance to keep some of them alive for longer.

Its a 1000pts game for each specter you can get 2 dol guldur orcs +1pt, at range 12 his odds of 2 vs 1 is fairly annoying and if 1 model is engage with you in combat and specters having poor fight, wounds and A and defence, they wont survive much I tell you and wont be able to shove off the guy from close combat btw.

If it was for me, I would pick 6 spec max on that army, 2 per warband or maybe 3.
Remain Dol guldur orcs, add 1 shaman as another warband, remove 1 castellan, add some mordor trolls maybe 1 or 2 if you can and maybe some hard hitting elite of mordor uruks with S4 and two handed weapons.

ohh and spiders, like 2 or 3 giants spiders, if not more :)

You will see the army will hold the lines better on its own and offers you variety, the specters are just something to add flavour and being able to do some fun tricks here and then without being noticed.
[youtube]gTWo9oLJOWk[/youtube]

Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by Peregrin » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:09 am

Do the dead play any better than they did before the new books were released? I have the Men and Free Peoples books, but haven't seen the Mordor or Angmar stuff, myself. Seems to me the general army of the dead was overpriced for it's effectiveness in the previous incarnation (pardon the pun). I didn't even bother looking at it in the Kingdoms of Men book.

*mind you, we normally play WotR rather than SBG, so I haven't looked that closely either way.
Website - The Display Case - http://minidisp.blogspot.ca

francisco
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by francisco » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:43 am

there exactly the same as the books you might have from two towers (newest expansion sourcebook missions, the one that gives you vrasku, isengard troll profiles and so on)
Diference now is that you run warbands, so as you noticed on that book, each group is force to fight as a starting force a bit spreaded from others and in most cases 2 close to get a dam stright in knight charge. Although I never faced a full dead specter army, I already fought a warband fully made of them and khamul, I had luck positioning the knights right in front of them, so 8 knights of MT + captain all with lances on the charge vs fight 3 defence 5 that got a spell that is based if I pass a stat or not dont seems very usefull in mass and so I wiped the specters in a turn and khamul found himself near the brink of dead by the end of turn 2.

Dol guldur army only changes in the way I posted on guide of dol guldur thread, which basically means now you can add those new mordor units like drums and tasksmaster and black numenorians and the only improvement avail which is paying extra points for orcs if you get the necromancer on the army to make orcs with Fight stat 4/4+ same applies to captains and shamans getting 5/4+
[youtube]gTWo9oLJOWk[/youtube]