Arnor

Delve into the world of Middle Earth and discuss tactics, strategies, and anything you want about the Lord of the Rings Battle Strategy Game.
MrMcOwnage
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Arnor

Post by MrMcOwnage » Mon May 10, 2010 4:23 pm

Hey everyone.

I've recently started looking at the LoTR SBG site on GW's website and It looks really interesting. At first I was really into the idea of playing Rohan (And still am), but after looking for a little while at other Armies I saw the Arnor models and I thought that they looked so amazing.

What sizes of games do people normally play and how many models are normally in a Good infantry army? I don't really understand how you purchase soldiers, either. Is it a warrior by warrior basis or do they come in squads like in WHFB and 40k?

I was thinking about starting off with a few Warriors of Arnor (The Spears + Shield guys), a unit of Rangers of Arnor, and King Arvedui/Malbeth the Seer. I could replace the King and Seer with a Captain of Arnor and a Standard Bearer

I don't really want to do an all Ranger force, but it seems like doing an all Warrior of Arnor force would be too expensive to start up. Are there other troops that can be included in an Arnor force that have to be converted or can be allied?

Thanks for any help
Armies:
Salamanders- 1500 pts (Check out my progress at Project Redemption)
Savlar Chem Dogs (IG) - 500 pts
Dwarves - 1500 pts
High Elves - 3000 pts

Asrodrig
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Arnor

Post by Asrodrig » Mon May 10, 2010 6:00 pm

I'll see what I can do to help. I'm just starting LOTR myself, so I don't know everything about it yet...
MrMcOwnage wrote:What sizes of games do people normally play and how many models are normally in a Good infantry army? I don't really understand how you purchase soldiers, either. Is it a warrior by warrior basis or do they come in squads like in WHFB and 40k?
Size of the game depends on which game system you're playing. The normal points value for SBG seems to be about 500, and WOTR is usually bigger, like 1500 points or even more.
The number of models depends on what kind of army you're running. For example, lots of cavalry will eat up more points, so you'll have less models.
Soldiers are purchased in a similar way to WHFB. For example, a certain soldier might be 5 points, and you can take as many as you want.

IWasBornLeet
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by IWasBornLeet » Mon May 10, 2010 6:17 pm

WOTR is like in fantasy, you have sort of small squads.
In SBG the miniatures are all single and not placed in squads.

MrMcOwnage
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by MrMcOwnage » Sat May 15, 2010 2:52 pm

Cool. Thanks for the responses. I really want to play but I donr know what kind of playing scene is around here.

I dont really want to buy the Mines of Moria, though, so I think I might buy the rulebook and some models that interest me on both sides. Probably Easterlings and Riders of Rohan.

Are the Stats for those models in the main rule book?
Armies:
Salamanders- 1500 pts (Check out my progress at Project Redemption)
Savlar Chem Dogs (IG) - 500 pts
Dwarves - 1500 pts
High Elves - 3000 pts

Maalve
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Maalve » Sat May 15, 2010 3:12 pm

Yes they are. Rohan, Gondor, Elves, Dwarves, Isengard, Harad and Mordor are quite broad in the main rulebook. Moria and Easterlings are a bit contracted. But you can play with them if you have the rulebook (SBG)

For Wotr all units are in the rulebook
Sincerely Yours,
Maalve

Hukoseft
Silver Vault Member

Post by Hukoseft » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:59 pm

moria is that contracted, it has all the essentials, the only thing missing that i would use is the dragon

easterlings have...captain and warriors

i would reccomend getting the legions of middle earth if u play sbg, it gives u all the ally lists etc
Eldar: >4500
Dark Eldar: 4229

Elves (lotrs): 2000
More lotrs: >10k

High Elves: 2000

Retribution: ~100

Attack of the Elves