I'm a noob, plz help >.<

Delve into the world of Middle Earth and discuss tactics, strategies, and anything you want about the Lord of the Rings Battle Strategy Game.
bladerdude
MiniWarGaming Beginner

I'm a noob, plz help >.<

Post by bladerdude » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:26 pm

Hi, me and my two brothers are new to the whole miniwargaming concept and need some advice. We want to start lotr and want advice on what armies to get and what types of games there are, if you know and it doesn't infringe on any copyright rules, plz tell me.

P.S. tyvm :D

PAMPLEMOUSE
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: I'm a noob, plz help >.<

Post by PAMPLEMOUSE » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:20 pm

1. ok start with what you like about lotr then choose the corosponding army

2. there is wotr and sbg i'd start with sbg as it requires less moddles,
many people like wotr because it is easyer faster and you use more units, i like sbg where each unit is moved indevidualy and can do it's own actions.

3.do what you want and try both systems and maby a few games at your local GW.

these are all for gamming if your a painter/artistic type then choose which look the coolest.
"In the begining there was the great music of illuvitar" AKA led zeppelin

bladerdude
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by bladerdude » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:44 pm

wotr: "war of the ring"?
sgb: ?
and ty for response, i think i might go for urak hai army, and one of my brothers might try dwarves, any advice on tactics and maybe things to get to start off?

yoyomansizzle
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by yoyomansizzle » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:49 pm

bladerdude wrote:wotr: "war of the ring"?
sgb: ?
and ty for response, i think i might go for urak hai army, and one of my brothers might try dwarves, any advice on tactics and maybe things to get to start off?
Ok
SBG= Strategy Battle Game
Uruk-hai and dwarves for a quick match just buy the rulebook of you choice of game sbg or wotr (if wotr buy movement trays or make your own) and also buy a box of warriors and maybe 1 or 2 heros should amount to 50$ or less per side then play away.
Rengar 2012.
"Sizzles picture art is different though. He actually took the time to create the picture he posted using photo shop software. That is creativity. You newb trolls could learn something from him." -Vassago42

bladerdude
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by bladerdude » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:57 pm

ok, tyvm, i'll talk to my brother and(if possible) try and buy all of that within the next week or two.

IFGuy
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by IFGuy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Do you have a local Games Workshop store?
if you don't know you can go on their website and use the store finder.
If you go to them before you get anything they can intrduce you to the game and help you chose between war of the ring (WotR) or Stratergy Battle Game (SBG)

Hope the helps :D
Isengard 1000pts
W:3
L:4
D:1

Spartan9131
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Spartan9131 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:17 am

If your looking to start and Urk Hi army then get the Two Towers starter pack. It comes with
Pike men
Shield And Sword
Rohan Riders
rule book and couple other things

This is good for new people and if your brother want to start a Dwarf Army then you should get Moria Goblins to fight him. Also tell if you want tell your brother to get some Rohan men. These to combos are great for a even fight. Hope this helps
Protect your long range weapons, and protect your Victory

mikey_vengeance
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mikey_vengeance » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:58 am

Although I can understand how it'd feel like somewhat of a waste, I'd just get the current Mines of Moria LOTR starter set. While it may not have the best armies and models to choose from it does come with the rule book and terrain so you wont be stuck using a pencil case for a piece of terrain haha. And depending on what army you end up starting almost any of the heroes of the fellowship could certainly fit in.
"All mankind waits upon our decision. A whole world waits to see what we shall do. And we cannot fail that trust, and we cannot fail to try." ~JFK

bladerdude
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by bladerdude » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:44 pm

Ok, i want to thank you all for your responses to my plea for help (i wasn't expecting any to be frank) and i just want to say that we are on a budget of about 100$ canadian each, maybe more if i can get a job, and unfortunately the closest GW store is about an hour away with traffic so i'm trying some local hobby shops for now.

yoyomansizzle
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by yoyomansizzle » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:56 am

bladerdude wrote:Ok, i want to thank you all for your responses to my plea for help (i wasn't expecting any to be frank) and i just want to say that we are on a budget of about 100$ canadian each, maybe more if i can get a job, and unfortunately the closest GW store is about an hour away with traffic so i'm trying some local hobby shops for now.
Thats a perfect amount 75 for a hero or, some movement trays(if Wotr) and box of warriors and you guys go 25 each for rule book
Rengar 2012.
"Sizzles picture art is different though. He actually took the time to create the picture he posted using photo shop software. That is creativity. You newb trolls could learn something from him." -Vassago42

bladerdude
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by bladerdude » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:58 pm

I'm a bit sad to say that nearby hobby stores had very little or none at all in stock :( and so i think that me and my brothers are moving to fantasy :). I do appreciate all of the help that you guys gave us and might try again if a movie of the hobbit comes out.