Rohan and Dwarf proxies/ alternative models

Delve into the world of Middle Earth and discuss tactics, strategies, and anything you want about the Lord of the Rings Battle Strategy Game.
AnPeter90
Now we're getting somewhere...

Rohan and Dwarf proxies/ alternative models

Post by AnPeter90 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:49 pm

I am starting up a Rohan army and possibly a dwarf army, anyone know of good proxies from other companies other than GW? Especially for things like the iron hills dwarves, and the goat riders as well as things like the sons of eorl and mounted rohan royal guards

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Rohan and Dwarf proxies/ alternative models

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:29 am

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/82 ... =user_menu

Got new Dwarves on that KS - and they're looking pretty sweet. Not sure on the goat riders tbh.

Scibor Minis are pretty sweet as well:http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?group=139

There's prolly some others but I can't look atm if I see anymore will update this :) Good luck!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:56 am

For Rohan, I would check historical miniature companies for Norman heavy cavalry. The Tolkien universe is largely based on the Anglo-Saxon period of England, that is before the Norman Invasion by William the Conqueror in 1066. The Anglo-Saxon used infantry armies, so you won't find much miniatures for Saxon cavalrymen, but Norman knights of the time are very close in equipment and style. Forget the plate armor you see everywhere in Jackson's movies, in Tolkien's books, soldiers were equiped like the soldiers of the 11th century and before, that is with chain shirts or hauberks for the richest warriors and leather armor or nothing for the common soldiery. Nasal helmets and skull caps would have been popular on both sides and Saxons were often wearing helmets with eye protection like the Vikings. So if you want to do kit bashing, you can add this type of helm.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:08 pm

Ooh that's a good idea Kov - I know wargames foundry makes some really sweet models. But they're pretty small, I guess they're 28mm but def not heroic. I think the hobbit minis might be similiar but I'm not sure. Anyway, worth a look see.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)