Wargamer curious about Easterlings and the Mordor

Delve into the world of Middle Earth and discuss tactics, strategies, and anything you want about the Lord of the Rings Battle Strategy Game.
Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Wargamer curious about Easterlings and the Mordor

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:32 pm

Hello guys ! I'm a long time player of 40k and just starting Orcs and Goblins in Fantasy and decided to get a look on Lords of the Rings models by curiosity. I'm a big fan of historical parthian and sassanid cataphracts and I was pleasantly surprised to Easternlings Kataphracts in the Fallen Realms army. I won't start an army of LoR before a large amount of time because I have no money for it and no player to fight, but I'm curious about it.

I tend to love bad guys and I always had a weakness for Sauron, Orcs, Uruk Haï, the Nazgûl, the Mordor, etc. So I would want to know how powerful the Mordor and the Fallen Realms are in LoR?

I have a particular interest for the heavy armored orcs types including Uruk Haï and the Black Guard of Barad-dûr , Easterlings Kataphracts, the Nazgûl, the Morgul Knights and finally the Castellans of Dol Guldur. Are they powerful units? Thank you in advance.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

francisco
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Re: Wargamer curious about Easterlings and the Mordor

Post by francisco » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:03 am

Alright first of all there are supplements for each faction: free peoples, kingdoms of men, moria and angmar, mordor and fallen realms.

You can mix watever supplement of each faction with his evil or good counterpart, kingdom of men can mix with free peoples for example.

Within each supplemente it includes diferent factions but the way you organize your army its much up to that.

Fallen realms supplemente includes:
- isengard
- harad and umbar
- eastern kingdoms

Moria and Angmar includes:
- Moria
- Angmar

so on...

There are a couple limitations when you make your army and each supplemente brings set of basic scenarios(which are common to all) force organization charts and individual scenarios in case you wanna recreate something...

The force organization chart follows this rule.

1 Hero slot + 12 warriors and there are bow limitations (1/3 of your army overall, not including heroes can carry bows and no more, there might be exceptions to this rules but each individuality is presented at the start page of each faction)
If 1 hero includes 2 hero profiles, the 2nd heroe counts as a warrior slot filled
(example elladan and elrohir or Murin and Drar, since you pay for both (150pts for example and you cannot take 1 of either, you must pay for the 2)

Heroes that got a banner icon with a forbidden symbol over it means they are heroes that cannot lead warbands, so if you want warriors and want those heroes you will have to pick other heroes without those limitations to lead em.
Solo heroes are like: easterling dragon knights and castellans of Dol guldur to name a few....

Fallen Realms supplement includes a wide variety of units, and very exotic ones, its a very funny supplement to pick specially if you play around harad/umbar/eastern kingdoms(easterlings/khand)
This supplement factions (excluding isengard which is pretty straight forward to play) relie on poison and combinations, illusions and exotic combinations, its a powerfull army by itself you just need to know which models to take on the field.

Mordor supplement includes several units inside from light armoured orcs to more heavily armoured one, and opt to take ringwraiths or named nazguls which each includes special rules to enhance your army (example shadowlord got a special rule that everything around 6" of him makes the enemy needing 6s to hit with shooting weapons regardless their profile shooting value needed)
Other nazguls got diferent rules as you can imagine...

Mordor supplement is also a very strong point to pick on models, not to mention the hobbit rules enhance monsters in battle so they can grab models after winning fights and throw them back into enemy lines or bash their way inside the enemy ranks and so on.

If you do feel interested yes you can mix as long you respect the force organization charts....
About powerfull units depends really on what you pick :P
[youtube]gTWo9oLJOWk[/youtube]

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:33 pm

Thank you for your explanations. If I understand well, each squad needs an hero to lead them. So you have to put the a compatible hero into a unit, like by example, a Dragon Knight into a Kataphract unit, right? And the armies are grouped into 2 big factions and you can mix units from different supplements into a single grand army, right? So by example, you could do a Mordor/Fallen Kingdom army made of Orcs and Nazûl from the Mordor supplement with Easterling forces too.

I have another, more specific question about two units. I'm kind of obssessed by cataphracts, so are they powerful by themselves? Nazgûl and Morgul Knights are very appealing to me to, are they very powerful or like so so?

francisco

Post by francisco » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:35 am

Easterling kataphracts are decent, they are one o the few units that use heavily armoured horses on already heavily armoured warriors, they are men however so they share strength and weakness of their race.

Do not underestimate them cause they are still a nut hard to crack and sort of cheapish still as costing 14pts eachm they do cost 1+ more than a rider of rohan for having an heavier armoured horse(+1D) as well as the rider having (+1D) they do lack on mounted range weapons but you can fin a mix regardless of that.
They do have another usefull upgrade which turn them into sort of rohan royal guard called black dragons, this increase their fighting skill and courage from 3 to 4 being able to match elite type of troops in battle like uruks, or dwarves, rohan royal guard or citadel guards.. they cost as much as a rohan royal and dont have bodyguard rule, but having harder to kill horses sort of compensates.

They are a reliable cavalry to count upon.

Morgul knights, well they are better than easterling cav since they are mix of both man and wraith.
What they got diferent of a kataphract?

lances and terror

lances its a weapon that further enhance the riders killing power on the charge (+1 to wound on the dice value), terror its nice to avoid being charge at as the enemy tend to make leadership tests in order to do so, so fighting man race you can potencial avoid some charges and with it avoiding being outnumbered 2 much in a fight or outflanked that often... if youre fighting elves or dwarves, well they have higher courage less likely to cowar and not hitting back...

These buggers as their basic statline says they come with higher fight (of 4) so they are considered elite cav (like black dragon kataphracts), but they are alot more expensive to field, while an eastelring on horse with fight 4 and courage 4 goes around 16pts, these guys can pass over 20pts a model. grain by grain you´ll find your army quite small if you field several of these...

As for weakest to strongest cav I would do the following
from weakest to strongest:

khandish horseman
haradrim raiders
serpent guard/riders of rohan/outriders/knights of minas tirith
easterling kataphracts
rohan royal guard /black dragon kataphracts
knights of Dol Amroth/ Morgul knights
Galadhrim knights
Knights of Rivendell
Sons of Eorl

Why sons of eorl the strongest? well imagine a black dragon kataphract but with strength 4 and 2 attacks (yes 2 Attacks, its not natural) with a bit faster steeds for 22pts a model

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:29 pm

Thank you for your detailed explanations ! They seem to fit my tastes as I love elite heavily armor cavalry and I really love the mix of exotism and pure terror of Sauron's forces. Is this game more of a skirmish game like 40k or is it more like the large blocks of Fantasy? Or maybe it's in the middle? I remarked that the units use round bases like 40k.

BTW, do you think that the Morgul Knights could fit on a rectangular Fantasy cavalry bases? Because I might build a Vampire counts army one day and the Blood Knights models are overpriced. They could be an interesting alternative model. I'm not fan of the Hexwraiths models neither so they could replace these too or I could take the Nazgûl models on horses.

francisco

Post by francisco » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:33 am

this game is a bit more like skirmish equivalent to 40k although thes works more to the model base level of interaction.
Each model can do things diferently despite included on warbands (warbands are just a way to limit stuff you can take) where in warhammer now you can take all sort of stuff as long you respect the organization chart and even so there are unbound, in here its a bit diferent...

You could try to make on fantasy bases although I would not advice since the skirmish method envolves being able to run through gaps in the enemy lines or seeing if you can pick 1 or 2 or more enemies engaged in combat... the bases are really ment for the symstem, you can convert those bases to be fitted on fantasy bases afterwards, but I dont recommend mixing bases...

of the 3 systems lotr its the one that requires less models although depends which faction your playing and which points.... random games goes from 500 to 750pts, bigger games are 1000pts or more...

or you can play less like 350/250pts

Just for an idea Im trying to make an erebor army and got somesort like this...

thorin oakenshield with orcrist and oankenshield
12 warriors or erebor (6x with spear 6x with shield)

Dwalin
8 warriors or erebor (4x with spear 4x with shield)
4 grimhammers

Erebor captain with shield
8 warriors or erebor (4x with spear 4x with shield)
4 grimhammers

this is more or so 500pts and as you can see its 39 models wise force.
Other armies varies like goblins depending on configuration can go up to 80/90 goblins
or high elves or more elite dwarven armies which relies on like 28/29 models...

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:26 am

Thank you for your answer. It seems to need a more reasonnable amount of models than Fantasy!

About the Fantasy bases, it would have been for using as replacements for Fantasy models I do not like like the Hexwraiths or that are overpriced like Blood knights. I will use LoTR bases if I play build a LoTR army one day.

Return to “Lord of the Rings”