Expanding my Erebor Dwarf army

Delve into the world of Middle Earth and discuss tactics, strategies, and anything you want about the Lord of the Rings Battle Strategy Game.
Magnus01
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Expanding my Erebor Dwarf army

Post by Magnus01 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:29 am

Hey guys,

I have just started a new army after my previous Mordor army. As from the title you can tell it is a Erebor Dwarf army. I already have Thror, Thrain and Thorin. I also have 12 Grim Hammers and 24 Warriors of Erebor. I also have the rest of the 13 company of dwarfs from the escape from goblin town box set.

What should I get next and is what I have now good? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Must. Kill. Matt. Ward.

EmoAngels
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Expanding my Erebor Dwarf army

Post by EmoAngels » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:15 pm

The thing about Erebor is that their list is fairly limited in the fact that there is little variation in units. If you want to have a 'competitive' army I wouldn't usually take the Grim Hammers as they just don't pull their weight when compared to the likes of Khazâd Guard (however if you love the models as I do use them). Dwalin and Thorin are both good leaders of war bands as for what they bring to the table is well worth their point cost.
If you want to expand your army I would suggest getting more warriors of Erebor. Are you open to use allies or would you rather just stick to Erebor?
"I take this burden of this breakfast upon myself and I will not fear it, for I am breakfast incarnate..."-Konrad Curze/Walter White. One of the two. Probably.

Magnus01

Post by Magnus01 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:55 am

Thank you for your response. Although I prefer to stick to Erebor Dwarfs I am 100% open to any ally suggestions. Although I would prefer Dwarf allies such as Durin Folk I am also open to any other races you have in mind. Just pick the ones you think would be the most useful in battle for me. Again thanks for the help and the reply.
Must. Kill. Matt. Ward.

respect92
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by respect92 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:12 am

Dwarfs are pretty slow so I would take some cavalry to capture objectives. Also ranged attacks, some Archers. In cavalry I Think Rohaan or elves, thou I dont know how well that fits with the theme. And in archery elves.
Note: I havent tried this or met this, it is what I Think wouldd be good.
Please nerf damage of GW-prized minis.
Best regards the Wallet

francisco

Post by francisco » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:54 am

Well the dwarves can pass without cav... for archer is meh..

But if it was me I would ally with durin´s folk with a couple of fellows.

King´s champion, hes expensive but well worth the cost cause hes a raw monster in the fights
Khazad guard (better version than grimhammers and by far much more usefull on the punch and survivability)
Floi stonehand (maybe the really cheesy dwarf to neutralize 1 enemy model stuff) like remove the shade ability to get that -1 to win fight aura, which balance the game on your side, or removing a nazgul dread aura or other nasty skill you wanna get rid off for a turn and such....
(as alternative) Rangers with longbows, yea I know its a normal man bow on a 10pts dwarf, but think of a ranger man with defence 5 and 24" bow... some armies manipulate the lack of range dwarf bows have and just keep at distance, this way you gonna make sure how scared they get when the dwarves suddently are able to match the bowskill in range...from a virtually way better defence type of army...
Iron guard do equally well, although substancial weaker with defence 6, they pack 2 attacks at S4 which can be deadly noneless...

And of course, the wide range of character variety, from the humble murin and drar to the mighty dwarf king Durin...
You also can use a better balin version that those from the dwarf company, to a more deadly and suitable killing machine.. :)
[youtube]gTWo9oLJOWk[/youtube]

respect92
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by respect92 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:44 pm

That sounds way better then my suggestions. To my defence I can say I have no experience with dwrfes :)
Please nerf damage of GW-prized minis.
Best regards the Wallet

francisco

Post by francisco » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:39 pm

To aim where you should go with erebor at low point games thror and thrain are expensive, they are like durin (ma bit less mighty) but cost, at 500 despite awesome or you have an excelent tactic or instead go for cheap and durable characters to boost your line like thorin and dwalin....

Try this at 700pts

Warband 1
Thorin oakenshield with oakenshield and orcrist
4 dwarves of erebor with shield
5 dwarves of erebor with spear

Warband 2
Thrain
4 dwarves of erebor with spear

Warband 3
Dwalin
4 dwarves of erebor with spear

Warband 4
Floi stonehand
5 khazad guards

total: 700pts

Might: 9
models: 34

Its a tricky army but pretty hard 1 to get for a couple reasons:
- they got 3 very strong heroes, thorin oakenshield as a very cheap and excelent leader, dwalin is a dwarf butcher and very decent for the cost, and of course the best dwarf "king" class ever out, Thrain, father of thorin, a dwarf king model with 3/3/3 statline with an entire field standfast... as long hes alive and make the tests he can rally watever warrior spreaded out of the field making your army way more flexible and being able to endure from breaking points...
And if you find any enemy with azog in, all your army sudently re.rolls to wound thx to thrain special rule :P

and for final touch cause shades are all but annoying, you got Floi stonehand which with his special rule can negate an enemy special rule providing you defence for things you cannot neutralize.
With him 5 sturdy defence 7 khazad guards.

Of course this army got no shooting, but maybe you can workout something from this list on...
[youtube]gTWo9oLJOWk[/youtube]