First 500pt List - Elves

Delve into the world of Middle Earth and discuss tactics, strategies, and anything you want about the Lord of the Rings Battle Strategy Game.
blahman212
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

First 500pt List - Elves

Post by blahman212 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:11 pm

So I have gotten into LOTR SBG (or The Hobbit, I should say) and thought I might post my list!

Warband 1
10 Wood Elf Warriors
-All Spears
-All Bows
-Haldir

Warband 2
10 Galadhrim Warriors
-All Shield
-All Spears
-Rumil

Warband 3
10 Galadhrim Warriors
-All Shield
-Galadhrim Captain with Shield

Thoughts? Seem OK? I just worry about monsters, but hopefully Rumil could cope with them.
“The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

francisco
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Re: First 500pt List - Elves

Post by francisco » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:10 pm

It depends.....

As for me I would maximize the potencial of each warband why?

You wanna make sure each warbands of yours is self suficient in dealing with threats, because in some scenarios the warband with the bow for example, can be at front which can prove troublesome if its distance what you seek bettewn you and your oponent.

I should go formations of 3/3/4 being the number 4 the number than defines the major role of that warband or 4/6, for example haldir´s bows warband should be 3x with shield and spear, 3x with shield and 4 with bows or 4 with shields and 6 with bows so you can hold effectively each group you have without changing much the miniatures around the field or lose a flank so quickly cause you might lack of bows in 1 side where the other shields is required to hold the line, now you understand what I say about self suficient role?

The list seems good so far, although I would consider the galadhrim court guard as well being part of this force, they are pretty good, although you need quite a few of em, they excel specially well in spear formations and can be of great effectiveness to support your warband leaders.

About cavalry.... it can be a point of edge for an atttack and allows you manouverability, the downside of this is that they are not that heavily armoured and quite expensive, so consider this well..
[youtube]gTWo9oLJOWk[/youtube]

blahman212
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: First 500pt List - Elves

Post by blahman212 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:23 am

francisco wrote:It depends.....

As for me I would maximize the potencial of each warband why?

You wanna make sure each warbands of yours is self suficient in dealing with threats, because in some scenarios the warband with the bow for example, can be at front which can prove troublesome if its distance what you seek bettewn you and your oponent.

I should go formations of 3/3/4 being the number 4 the number than defines the major role of that warband or 4/6, for example haldir´s bows warband should be 3x with shield and spear, 3x with shield and 4 with bows or 4 with shields and 6 with bows so you can hold effectively each group you have without changing much the miniatures around the field or lose a flank so quickly cause you might lack of bows in 1 side where the other shields is required to hold the line, now you understand what I say about self suficient role?
I understand your reasoning for this, didn't think quite like that! But I am unsure on spreading my bows put between all warbands. The idea of haldir And all of the bow elves was they have a specific purpose (as do all warbands) and spreading out the bows might take away the purpose of the bows altogether; would they be effective in small groups? Other than that I might press some shields into that warband otherwise close combat will munch them...

The list seems good so far, although I would consider the galadhrim court guard as well being part of this force, they are pretty good, although you need quite a few of em, they excel specially well in spear formations and can be of great effectiveness to support your warband leaders.
How many would you suggest for a small Game such as this? Are they a support unit or do they hold their own and require support from the average wood elf?
About cavalry.... it can be a point of edge for an atttack and allows you manouverability, the downside of this is that they are not that heavily armoured and quite expensive, so consider this well..I did consider horseback. But as mentioned they aren't heavily armoured so I imagined numbers are effective, and in 500pts that might be hard.

Thanks for the reply! I am currently on my phone without sourcebook so I cannot change the list as of this moment, although I will post a re-written one soon.
“The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Return to “Lord of the Rings”