Getting into LotR

Delve into the world of Middle Earth and discuss tactics, strategies, and anything you want about the Lord of the Rings Battle Strategy Game.
easycompany
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Getting into LotR

Post by easycompany » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:43 pm

So as the title says, I'm considering starting LotR for two reasons
1. A local guy is selling off a few bits for pretty cheap
2. I'm currently trying to get my friends into wargaming and they LOVE Lord of the Rings!
So I'm thinking of buying The Hobbit rulebook and the Fellowship of the Ring Journeybook and play through some of the scenarios and see where my friends want to go from there...

So what do the good people here think? Any ideas?

Cheers!
easy
Curahee!

dh1992
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Getting into LotR

Post by dh1992 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:01 am

Hi, I know from previous experiences I highly recommend it. I moved from 40k to LOTR in my younger days and found it a much more enjoyable and simple game! Its perfect to introduce friends to the hobby! If you get it cheaper then I'd say it's well worth it!
Tabletop Workshop on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tabletop- ... 81?fref=ts

Tabletop Workshop on Twitter! https://twitter.com/TabtopWorkshop ;)

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:07 am

Heck the Hobbit is still a fantastic way to get into LOTR anyway as the Scenarios and models included therein help quickly famaliarize you with the advanced and core rules, even those that are rarely used, which is helpful. I would fully encourage you to go for it as it is as dh1992 and i have said, a fantastic starter.
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

easycompany
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by easycompany » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:53 am

Meh just not too fond of escape from goblin town. This is a long term project idea, planning on having them over one day and then BOOM! There's a board, terrain and two fully painted armies ready to roll :P It's hard to say no to that! I'm thinking of recreating the Last Alliance as an intro game cause I really like the models and it's where the story starts. What kind of stuff will I need for that scenario?
Curahee!

SweetSorrow
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:17 pm

well a few boxes of warriors of the last alliance plus some boxes of mordor orcs would be a good place. then it depends if you want tog et named heroes or not for the scenario or if you want some minor characters and reenact one piece of the battle line but not the main one.

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

francisco
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by francisco » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:40 am

Alright you wanna re create that kind of fight hey?

I recommend you to get 3 factions:

Mens of Numenor (old gondor)
High elves (eregion/lindon)
Mordor

You should get:

Gil galad
Elrond
Elendil
Isildur
Numenor and elven captains
warriors from the last alliance + finecast elves with shield and spear + numenor with bow/shield and spear

Sauron
Orc captains and shamans...maybe some basic nazgul
Orcs (variations)
Mordor Trolls..

thats all you need :)
orcs
[youtube]gTWo9oLJOWk[/youtube]

easycompany

Post by easycompany » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:19 am

Cheers! If it isn't against forum rules, post the forces list from the last alliance scenarion in the fellowship journey book?
I'm gonna try and get past with as few minis as possible while still having enough make it all cinematic
Curahee!

francisco

Post by francisco » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:41 am

im placing up what I remember seeing it, I dont need to check the book to see who were part of the fight :P

and how you build lists anyway? lol

SweetSorrow

Post by SweetSorrow » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:24 pm

well seeing as how you take armies in warbands, with each hero having if i remember a minimum of five other guys per Hero that is how.
i believe it is those heroes plus around 36 orcs and 3 trolls vs 24 elves and 24 men should do it.

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:30 pm

I am getting into this as well. Have the hobbit starter kit, the trolls and then I picked up a bunch of random stuff from a guy selling of his stuff. I really need to count it all out, but mostly orks, Uruk, goblins and them some halflings. I don't have any good forces other than gandolf, the fellowship of the ring and an eagle :)

francisco

Post by francisco » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:47 pm

you need to check which force you gonna pick it up, maybe I would consider going to GW website and check the forces. If you like any of those, well buy the scourcebook in which you might choose the models youre looking for.

Minas Tirith, Rohan are a good basic army for any player on the good side.
Dwarves are awesome hard to kill, but they lack in some unit types in which might be important if you dont know how to work with them.

Elves are pretty awesome, high courage, high weapon skill, their lack of armour its their downside and their cost accordingly, but depends on which elves you pick of course.

For evil side, the uruks form the white hand are the most balanced force you can ask, hard hitting warriors, variety in wargear, awesome defence, good strength, good weapon skill and somehow point cost balanced.

Goblins you need to work for horde armies and relie a bit on numbers, you need to get heroes in order to keep the weak morale guys in line.

Orcs are a mix, but you can field them part of any force.

In all depends on your likes and see how that suit you

SweetSorrow

Post by SweetSorrow » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:18 pm

or for Evil there is Angmar which is now all about the finesse and sneaky movement in order to hit you hard and fast before running away from retaliation.

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Return to “Lord of the Rings”