Shipping Canada to the US

Use this forum to list your miniatures that you want to sell, or to list something you are looking to buy.
Forum rules
We actively support those with excess hobby spare bitz to trade them with their friends on this site. Once you have listed and agreed swaps, please continue the trade within PM's or email. We do not support sales of your spares though. We do not take any responsibility for any trade that goes wrong.
Fighting Gopher
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Shipping Canada to the US

Post by Fighting Gopher » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:39 am

Hello Everyone,

I know from several people that shipping to the US through Canada Post has been a huge pain. Parcels not arriving or taking over a month, horrible customer service. Shipping with a tracking number to the US can run you up over $50 in shipping etc..... So I thought I would share a little solution I found.

Ship through UPS. Ever parcel has a tracking number no matter what. Also, they are way cheaper to ship through. I went to a UPS store in the next town over to ship mine. It was simple, easy and painless. Guaranteed the parcel will be there within 5 days and was about 75% of the cost of Canada Post without a tracking number, everything is automatically insured up to $2500 so I can't complain at all. I thought I would share this with all the fellow Canadians who are put off from shipping to the US.

Also, you can get UPS to pick up the parcel from your house for free. You just have to have your measurements and weights correct.
Warhammer 40K - 41,000 points
Warhammer Fantasy - 27000 wounds (I'm guessing)
Flames of War - 6000 points
Warmachine Cryx - 100 points
Hordes Circle - 240 points

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Shipping Canada to the US

Post by Marit Lage » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:03 am

You should sticky this. I've had more than one package not arrive from Canada, including one time with you and that Crisis suit that probably went into the Warp somewhere.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:13 am

I wonder if the same is true from the US to Canada. Will have to look into that.

IGfanatic
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Post by IGfanatic » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:41 pm

2 of 3 parcels sent to the us have been lost, this might help a lot!
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:05 pm

The one you sent me is in New York :)

Tracking is tracking...

Fighting Gopher

Post by Fighting Gopher » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:15 am

I've had in the past 6 months, 7 packages not make it to their destinations in the US. I will be using UPS moving forward for all shipments to the US. As for Canada, I will remain with Canada Post as I have venture card and it gets me free tracking in Canada.

BewareOfTom
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by BewareOfTom » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:20 am

never had trouble with canada post :/
I have half a mind to kill you, and the other half agrees

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

Fighting Gopher

Post by Fighting Gopher » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:46 am

Marit Lage wrote:You should sticky this. I've had more than one package not arrive from Canada, including one time with you and that Crisis suit that probably went into the Warp somewhere.
I don't have sticky powers, I'm only a fanatic, not a MOD.

The Crisis Suit was a pain, but not as big of a pain as this last one that went missing, Hundreds of dollars in minis, 60 Guardsmen, 30 Space Marines, Terminators, Assualt Marines, IoB High Elf set. I was furious with Canada Post that it didn't make it to the guy in a trade and I believe it when the guy said he didn't get it, there is no question there.

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:56 pm

Darn, that is alot of minis...
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

DFazakas
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by DFazakas » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 pm

I've sold perhaps over 200 items on ebay in the past 8 years, and I've never had a problem with Canada Post. I always use expedited parcel with insurance & tracking. I print my address labels, so there's no mistaking my handwriting. It's true that tracking is not thorough and you can't see online updates when the package crosses the US/Canada border, but I do get confirmation of a delivery or pickup from the post office by the buyer. Also if you sell stuff using paypal make sure the buyer's address is verified, this will save you from many headaches.

If you plan on using UPS for Canada>USA or USA>Canada there can be huge hidden fees for using their regular services. If you are charged any duty then you'll also be charged a huge brokerage fee. Ask about UPS super saver where all fees are upfront and nothing is hidden.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
~ (Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton.)

Badger
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Badger » Mon May 27, 2013 7:35 am

DFazakas wrote: If you plan on using UPS for Canada>USA or USA>Canada there can be huge hidden fees for using their regular services. If you are charged any duty then you'll also be charged a huge brokerage fee. Ask about UPS super saver where all fees are upfront and nothing is hidden.
This. I've never shipped models, so it's possible they aren't taxed the same at the border, but with buying airsoft gear from American websites you quickly learned to never get UPS. Typically ended with you having to pay 50% of your costs again at the door to the deliveryman. Make sure as a sender you enquire about duty before you ship it off.
"Men follow courage, not treachery."

Fighting Gopher

Post by Fighting Gopher » Mon May 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Badger wrote:
DFazakas wrote: If you plan on using UPS for Canada>USA or USA>Canada there can be huge hidden fees for using their regular services. If you are charged any duty then you'll also be charged a huge brokerage fee. Ask about UPS super saver where all fees are upfront and nothing is hidden.
This. I've never shipped models, so it's possible they aren't taxed the same at the border, but with buying airsoft gear from American websites you quickly learned to never get UPS. Typically ended with you having to pay 50% of your costs again at the door to the deliveryman. Make sure as a sender you enquire about duty before you ship it off.
You are correct, what you do is add the generic cost, I can't remember what it is called but it's about $5.00 to avoid all those hidden fees. Mine was a set rate to ship to the US with no hidden costs.

Some1
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Some1 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:49 pm

Nappen wrote:I wonder if the same is true from the US to Canada. Will have to look into that.
I used ups to send a bunch of ork boys and two,tucks to some one in Canada. It got stopped at the boarder and ups canada called me to find out how much the guy paid for it. I sent them a copy of the PayPal receipt and it was shipped on to the guys house.

When it arrived the guy was informed that he had to pay a huge tax on it that was way more then what the stuff was worth.

I would be weary of shipping stuff to Canada for this reason.
I don't usually post often, but when I do. It's pretty fricken epic.
Stay online my friends.