Jason's Grab-Bag WIP (Dystopian Wars, WHFB, and some 40K)

Post your painting WIPs here!
jbrown1214
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Jason's Grab-Bag WIP (Dystopian Wars, WHFB, and some 40K)

Post by jbrown1214 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:57 pm

I think it is safe to say that all wargamers/painters go through phases: whether it is preferring to focus on painting a lot of models in a stretch, spending a lot of time on "showcase" models, or having a hard time resisting the urge to through your brushes and paints in the trash after churning out too many models or screwing up on a favorite (and likely expensive) figure. For me, I'm emerging from the latter into the middle group: my painting skills are slowly improving to the point where I feel justified in spending a lot of time on a small number of figures, even if this means that other projects, like my ForgeWorld Chaos Dwarves or Elysian IG Regiment, tend to languish.

So I wanted to start a WiP for a couple of reasons: 1.) to motivate myself above-and-beyond MWG's weekly painting pledge, 2.) share my work with other hobbyists, and 3.) hopefully demonstrate some evolution in my own painting expertise.

To start, I wanted to post a couple of pictures of a recent model I put together for a Forgotten Realms-based Pathfinder game. I really fell in love with Rackham's Confrontation line of models when I saw a good friend's Cynwall-based High Elves. Because I didn't want my character to be the typical flowey-robes-with-a-long-staff Elven wizard, I used a Cynwall Quarterstaffer with a magical tome liberated from an unfortunate Warriors of Chaos familiar. I did a fair bit of edge highlighting and paid special attention to highlighting the Elf's "skirt". A bit of basing here, a quarterstaff changed to a magic stave and voila', a Sun Elf Wizard! I'm really unhappy with the pictures, but am pretty pleased with the model overall.

New! I have a YouTube channel!

Warriors of Chaos: 4,500-ish points (95% painted)
Chaos Dwarves: 3,000-ish points (85% painted)
Bretonnia: 3,000-ish points (25% painted)
Imperial Fists: 1,500-ish points (40% painted)

Updated 1/7/2014! - WIP here

jbrown1214
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Jason's Grab-Bag WIP (Dystopian Wars, WHFB, and some 40K)

Post by jbrown1214 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Buoyed by my success with the Rackham elf, I decided to show a little love to my Warriors of Chaos. They've been languishing for a while, and I have a number of what I think should be showpiece models--mounted and foot-based heroes/lords and sorcerers--that were either unassembled or merely primed. I really liked the posing of the Khorne hero, and even though I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the quality of the FineCast model (fingers missing, bubbles, etc.) it did have a lot of detail and armor that I wanted to experiment doing just my typical basecoat, wash, and drybrush. I attempted to replicate the GW paint scheme--except for the cloak, where I wanted more of a bone color befitting the character's offerings to the Blood God! All in all, I think it turned out very well, and I was extremely pleased with my edge highlighting. The base work wasn't particularly exciting, but it needed to approximate the rest of the army.

jbrown1214

Post by jbrown1214 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:59 pm

And now for something completely different: I've wanted to get into naval wargaming for some time, and since I don't really care for the 40K rules--I like the strategic view of games like WHFB and others vice what I see as rather cartoonish wargaming found in the former--but love science fiction, I decided that Dystopian Wars would be the way to go. So for an early Father's Day present, I convinced my wife to buy me the Prussian Empire and Republique of France Battle Groups. This also allowed me to change up my painting: I could hone my skills a bit more on small-scale ships rather than the same-old figures.

Of course, I started on the flagship of the Prussian flotilla: the Emperor-class battleship. I have to say that Dystopian Wars includes some OUTSTANDING sculpts; because of this, I was really looking forward to trying my hand at an even smaller-scale model than I was used to. Because the game allows for different turret choices I first magnetized the three weapon mounts. I wanted to go for a more weathered, "we've been at sea for a long time and haven't had time to keep the ship pretty" look, so hence the sooty funnels and gun barrels and rust on the joints, hawse pipes and elsewhere. Also did a bit of free-handing with the iron cross, which I still need to practice a bit. Again, even though it took me a tremendous amount of time--even if I experimented a lot, it took more than I'll admit!--I'm pleased with the outcome.

ArqArturo
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by ArqArturo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:07 pm

I gotta say, the chaos champion looks really good. Nice detail on cloak.

EDIT: Heh, just noticed your post of the ship. What scale is it?.
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased...” Miyamoto Musashi

jbrown1214

Post by jbrown1214 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:20 pm

ArqArturo wrote:I gotta say, the chaos champion looks really good. Nice detail on cloak.

EDIT: Heh, just noticed your post of the ship. What scale is it?.
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them!

Dystopian Wars are 1/1,200, according to good ol' Wikipedia!

jbrown1214

Post by jbrown1214 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:58 pm

Just finished up my three Reiver-class cruisers for my Dystopian Wars' Prussian Battlegroup. According to everyone who's anyone, the ships stink game-wise: they have weak gunnery and AAA, and they're really only good for boarding operations (the Prussians' strong suit). Do I care? Heck, no! I think they're cool, and since I haven't really had the opportunity to play the game much, they're still sweet-looking on my desk! Prussians are the most "normal" looking models in the DY universe; I guess I'm a fan of the old-school "Castles of Steel" ship types. Still, I'm definitely looking forward to painting up the Republique of France's battlegroup...flying battleships? Oh, yeah...

jbrown1214

Re: Jason's Grab-Bag WIP (Dystopian Wars, WHFB, and some 40K

Post by jbrown1214 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:59 am

Nobody more than I hates it when someone starts a painting log, only to let it languish for days, weeks, or (gulp!) months. It isn't as though I haven't been painting; life just seems to get in the way of me posting here. I'm also a bit of a slow painter (both in terms of the time I can afford to give to my hobby, and the ridiculously slow pace at which I paint). But no more excuses! Here's what I've been working on of late, 40k-wise:

I convinced a friend that previously focused on WHFB to take a look at 6th Edition, which means I have a reason to ready my Elysians for the air! As I've mentioned before, the Forge World models are incredible in terms of detail and posing...which scares the crap out of me as a painter! So I wanted to spend a fair bit of time on the company and platoon command groups; I'm glad I did, because I think they turned out really great. My wife's camera phone might not do them justice, but they look good up-close. Going for a desert theme (hence the bronze/gold visors to reflect the terrain and heat), but I'm not sure how well the bases turned out. Still, some progress is better than none...only 60-70 more troops, plus vehicles and aircraft to go!

Company and Platoon Command Groups

Special Weapons and One of the Vox Casters

Company Commander with Power Fist, Platoon Commander

And, as I've seen on someone else's painting blog: "Let the slow painting war continue..."

eNi
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by eNi » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:36 am

Looking good man, i love those model ships!
My grounds. Where screams are flowers, and pain their fragrance
-Are any of these people available for questioning?
-Not unless you want to stick your head down a tyranid's throat and shout "anyone at home?"

Work In Progress

jbrown1214

Post by jbrown1214 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:05 am

eNi wrote:Looking good man, i love those model ships!
Thanks!

To break up the monotony of figure painting and broaden my own modelling horizons a bit, I'm also breaking into terrain a bit. First up: the Aegis Defense Line:

The shield wall segments:

...and the quad-barrelled antiaircraft gun:

I'm pretty-well finished with the former, but skimmed over the details on the latter (the imaging devices, etc.). Will swing back and hit those later.

I also got in a big order of not-so-gently used terrain (some 40K, some LoTR, by the looks of it) that I'll tackle next time this kind of painting bug bites...now to find a big base to use...

"Let the long, slow painting war continue..."

jbrown1214

Post by jbrown1214 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:10 am

I only just realized how long it has been since I actually uploaded any progress, which makes for a pretty piss-poor WIP! I HAVE managed to get quite a bit accomplished...for me, at least. Being married with a full-time job and children definitely can put a cramp in one's hobby time!

I've always struggled with having a clean modeling area and actually getting work done; more often than not, my desk was covered with paint pots (I tend to keep out all of the colors I use for various batch-painting projects that sometime get sidelined for weeks or months, never mind the various tools, water cups, etc. I find, however, that a messy desk doesn't really allow me to focus on the project at hand, so I finally took the leap and bought a paint and tool organizer. Saw this particular brand advertised on Blue Table Painting's YouTube channel: It is from back-2-base-ix. Took FOREVER to assemble the various modular pieces and it does take up a fair bit of space on the desktop, but I highly recommend the product, as at least I feel a whole lot more organized, which makes for more and better production.

(Side note: when considering a new laptop, always take into account the amount of space it will take up on your desktop! Love my new rig after laboring with a five-year old paperweight, but it does take up a huge chunk of the desk!)

All of you ladies and gents with significant others--particularly spouses--will know that our partners can at times object to how much space our hobby can take up. Hearing this loud and clear, I reorganized most of my hobby supplies and reference material into a single bookshelf, and put most of the models into the basement (except for a few display models and things to be completed). My reading material is slowly growing, though, which makes me happy!

Next, pictures of what I actually accomplished in the last four-plus months!

jbrown1214

Post by jbrown1214 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:59 am

Chaos Dwarves:

I've been working on my Chaos Dwarf army for some time (like everything else, it seems!). As much as Forge World makes some incredible models, they take a LONG time to clean up and assemble. Plus, their detail is daunting, and I find myself taking entirely too much time on line troops because I don't want to gloss over their details. Still, a fun army that I look forward to fielding, though I still have as many as 10 more fireglaives, a Hellcannon, and a big block of (hob)goblins to assemble and/or finish. They'll join my completed Iron Daemon and K'daii Destroyer.

Dreadquake Mortar

-- Need to decide whether I'm going to weather it or not; thus far, it is fully assembled, magnetized and detailed. Not the best model points-wise, but looks great.

Troops

-- After painting up thousands of Warriors of Chaos, I didn't want to do the standard Tin Bitz or Gunmetal armor, so I decided to go red with orange and brass highlights with custom bases. I tried some weathering powder with the fireglaives to make it look something more like Blue Table Painting's CD army that they featured this summer, but it ended up just being messy. Plus, I don't like how the fireglaives themselves look well-finished, but I had to put them away because I got a bit tired of looking at 'em!

-- Still have to finish the command groups and lords/heroes.

Let the long, slow painting war continue...

jbrown1214

Post by jbrown1214 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:10 am

Terrain:

I've been building up my terrain holdings after purchasing a rather inexpensive but serviceable foam modular terrain gaming board to host some games at my place. Of course, it is much easier to buy than to build/assemble, so I've made some limited progress thus far, including painting up the pillars and stuff from an earlier post for WHFB, and two nice kits for 40K:

Landing pad:

-- I tried to emulate the box art for this one, and thus got to bust out the model masking tape and weathering powder. The former went pretty well, but I've definitely yet to get the hang of the latter. Looks pretty good, though, and I'm really happy with the "this is thousands of years old and not particularly well-cared for" theme that all of my 40K terrain will have.

Bastion:

-- Great kit; went together easy, and I can see when a lot of people praise its modularity (I don't have that much extra money hanging around to cobble together 4-5 kits into a giant bastion, though...can't imagine storing it!). Again, embodied the box art, but might've gone a little overboard in focusing on the used/battle damage theme. Generally pleased overall, though, particularly with the door. Need to finish up the lascannon and communications device at some point in the future.

Still to do: craters, the destroyed Rhino terrain, Battle for Macragge crashed lander.

jbrown1214

Post by jbrown1214 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:22 am

Individual figures, beginning of new projects:

Sometimes I find it is nice to stop doing large pieces of terrain that usually require just a large dry brush and some assembly to spend a lot of time on a few models, which usually end up being generals or one-offs.

The Emperor's Champion

-- Awhile back I bought a large, mostly unpainted vanilla Space Marine army off Ebay. Couldn't decide what to do with it, though I leaned strongly toward Salamanders. The more I thought about it, the more I realized I wanted something a bit different, and so decided to pursue Black Templars. As any true zealot for the Imperium will know, one can't field a crusade of any reasonable size without an Emperor's Champion, and because one shouldn't field such a model without giving the Emperor his due with the best possible paintjob. With my meager skills, at least. The FineCast had its expected bubbles and gaps, and I didn't have the best luck with transfers--which are a pain to put on rounded shoulder pads!--but I'm pleased overall. For some reason the base looks a bit half-finished (did the best I could with my wife's Iphone) but much better in-person. Particularly happy with how the inscription ended up on the Black Sword as well.

Imperial Commissar

-- I've been digging on this WarForge model for a while, and wanted the option to field a commissar in my Elysian Imperial Guard force. Even if I don't ever end up using the model, she still looks great as a display piece. Well-cast, went together great, fun to paint. Though I still hate doing eyes!

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:32 pm

First of all welcome back. Secondly: Those are meager painting skills? O_o Those look awesome man,. I especially love the chaos dwarves and I think the colour really work for those fire worshiping slave drivers.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

jbrown1214

Post by jbrown1214 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Because I'm a lazy slacker, I of course have been remiss in updating what I've been doing hobby-wise. Here's an attempt to update:

40K - Black Templars

So, to complement the Emperor's Champion I did a while ago, I decided to move on to a vehicle. In this case, a Land Raider Crusader. For background: I bought a large Space Marine army off Ebay a while back, but it was in REALLY bad shape. In the case of the Crusader, the engine was mounted crookedly, most of the panels didn't match up, the tracks were off-kilter, and I'm guessing that the 12 year-old who assembled the model used an entire bottle of glue. So I basically had to disassemble the whole tank, attempt to straighten it and peel off the excess glue, and cut out the door panels and assault ramp and install some Black Templar-specific stuff. The model looks a lot better than before, and will definitely be at or above tabletop-equality, but a close look will show all of the mismatched panels and a lot of scratches from the mighty battle wagon's previous owner. I also decided to do a bit of free-handing on the roof because the black looked so boring; pretty pleased with the Templar cross.

After a TON of edge highlighting and detail work, I got bored and moved onto some quick drybrushing of my crater terrain. I haven't had much interest in the Land Raider, but will come back to it eventually.