Dark Crescent's WIP (Super Pic Heavy)

Post your painting WIPs here!
Dark Crescent
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryParticipated in King of the Hill

Dark Crescent's WIP (Super Pic Heavy)

Post by Dark Crescent » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:51 am

Hey fellow Painters,

I started getting into Warhammer just a little bit over a year ago, a friend of mine was telling me about it and it seemed fun. so we split the cost of a island of blood set and i got the High elves as he had already started a Skaven army. Before I got the High Elves I couldn't wait, so I picked up a Warhammer paint set and started my Journey. this was the result -
I still cringe when I see these

A couple of weeks after this my High Elves arrived, but a few days after that I got married and went on my honeymoon. After I got back there was so much going on I put the Warhammer aside and left it sitting in a corner. about 4 months later i found myself in a GW store buying a 40k paint set. this was the result -
I was testing out colour schemes and didn't yet know what a ultramarine was, notice the purity seal looks like school sports ribbon

i cant remember why, but again distracted I put the warhammer aside, till late november 2011, I had done nothing with Warhammer and so i purchased another paint set, this time LOTR. this was the result -
Sorry for the photo i am still trying to work out my wife's camera, too many bells and whistle.

from that point i got a little bit of motivation and decided to keep painting, luckily by this point my friend with the skaven had accumulated about 500 rats and about 100 space marines, none of which are painted. so I started painting them for him. first I stared on the Space Marines - **See Pics Below**

Then I began with a few clan rats -

With a bit of confidence I painted a warlock engineer -
ImageImage
one of my favourites

Next was a couple of Rat Ogres -

Last of the Skaven so far were Plague Monks -
my friend still hasn't seen the plague monks as I am writing this

At this point I wanted to start working on an army that I could field that was quick to paint, I chose Nids -
I know the colours aren't the same but I couldn't find a hive fleet I liked and didn't really think it was that important.

So basically i have only really been painting for about 4 months, just learning off YouTube and white dwarf articles and judging by the amazing painters I have seen on the boards i have a long way to go, Also since I got my first paint set I have only played 1 game of fantasy and 1 game of 40k, but i am hoping to have a game with fully painted Nids in a month of so.

Apologies for the long post but my intention for this WIP is not just to show progress of models but to show my progression as a painter

Cheers, Keep on Painting!
Last edited by Dark Crescent on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dark Crescent
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryParticipated in King of the Hill

Re: Dark Crescent's WIP

Post by Dark Crescent » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:58 am

This Weeks Painting Pledge
I know the Monstrous Claws look ridiculous but that's the fun of it all.

Here is a close up of a finished model

camsmclean
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by camsmclean » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:01 am

I really like the Skaven, very well done.

Black is nice on the warrior. How did you achieve that?
(Working on blacks myself... find it tricky).
Fantasy: WoC = 5000, Daemons = 3000, Dwarfs = 4000
40k: IG = 9000, SW = 4000
Warmachine: Cryx = 200
Hordes: Skorne = 100
All 100% Painted

Dark Crescent
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Dark Crescent » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:26 am

Thanx Dude!

There are 2 types of black on the warrior so I will list them both but they are really simple.

For the Armour/Shell I use Adeptus Battle Grey, then I wash it with Badab Black.
For the Hoofs & Claws I use Charadon Granite, then I wash it with Badab Black as well.

Cheers again

Jakian
Silver Vault Member

Post by Jakian » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:23 am

Nice job, i especially like the rat ogres.

The light blue armour scheme on the termagaunts looks really nice too. Reminds me of a swarm of scuttling crabs or some other sea creature.

keep it up 8)

sebastionsynn
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Location: having lunch in the Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.

Post by sebastionsynn » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:40 am

The Skaven are great looking but they need to be black washed, their skaven and skaven are nasty when it comes to keeping things clean.

as for the Nids, i think you have the idea of a great and unique Hive Fleet going there, all you have to do is paint each different unit with a different carapace armor color scheme. for instance you have light blue on your termagaunts, and a dark blue/purple on your hormagaunts, if ever add another unit of termagaunts then paint them in the same light blue, and hormagaunts in the same dark blue/purple, and your warriors all in the same black. adding in Lictors, paint them green, added some tervigons, paint them red, trygon? paint him yellow, etc,etc. just make sure you keep their flesh the same light tan color across the whole army.

and also, keep up the great work.
New research has discovered that research causes cancer in lab rats.
Assembled the model before painting?? It's not a n00b mistake, it's a training exercise to improve your painting skills

Dark Crescent
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Dark Crescent » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:10 am

@Jakian
Cheers for the encouragement, I get what ya mean about sea creatures lol

@sebastionsynn
Are you a wizard? or psychic? you pretty much hit the nail on the head, thats exactly what I am going for. The colour scheme for the light blue I got from a pretty old beasts of war painting video that john did in Nid Week, I didn't really fancy making my whole army that colour so I figured I would change it up a bit. these are the colours for the units that i have decided on, the rest I won't know till i have one to paint.

Termagaunts - Light Blue
Hormagaunts - Purple
Warriors, Hive Tyrant & Swarm Lord - Dark Grey
Tervigon - Dark Blue with Light Blue Termagaunts spawning
BioVore & Pyrovore - Dark Grey with fleshy(usually pink) parts green and slimy
Gargoyles - Yellow so they look like bees sorta
Lictors - Maybe Green
Carnifex, Trygon, Mawloc & the rest - still haven't decided

A few different models will have the same colour but only because they are pretty similar, if that makes sense.

As for the Skaven, I know they are meant to be dirty and covered in crud but after spending sometimes 4+ hours on one model that little voice in the back of my head was saying "what if you wreck it?". They ain't my models so I asked the owner what he wanted to do and he said he wanted them cleaner then normal, which made me happy :D

Thank you for your support I will keep working at it, Cheers

sebastionsynn
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by sebastionsynn » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:04 pm

Are you a wizard? or psychic?
:twisted: maybe. :twisted:

sounds like you have a good plan going with your nids, but your going to get teased something fierce for having them being so colorful, but hey it'll be worth it. My nids are black and silver. their flesh is a reddish pink, the exoskeleton is black and the carapaces are done in silver, with brass, bronze, and copper as variations. and then the whole model is coated in hard stuff to give a slick shiny look.
Assembled the model before painting?? It's not a n00b mistake, it's a training exercise to improve your painting skills

Bra$$Fo><
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Bra$$Fo>< » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:34 am

I have to say for the time you say you have been painting i am very impressed. Your doing a great job! And being self taught wow. Keep up your progress and i see big bright shiny demons in your future.
I dont know what this dakka is..... but i think we need more of it.

Sm-2000pts

IG-2500pts

Dark Crescent
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Dark Crescent » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:49 am

sebastionsynn wrote:your going to get teased something fierce for having them being so colorful, but hey it'll be worth it.
Lol, yeah probably. but I am a grown man that paints miniature people for fun, Clearly being teased isn't a big worry for me. :D

your nids scheme is awesome, i always wondered what metal would look like on nids and it really works. The Zaonthrope on the left is probably my favourite

@Bra$$Fo><
Thanx dude! Youtube and other video tutorials have helped me so much and the bonus is they are free. As for demons, i wish but i doubt it, but that won't stop me from trying :wink: Cheers for the encouragement.

sebastionsynn

Post by sebastionsynn » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:31 am

your nids scheme is awesome, i always wondered what metal would look like on nids and it really works. The Zaonthrope on the left is probably my favourite
thanks man. I have to say though that if i can get my lictor to come out the way i picture him in my head, he will be hands the best painted model in the whole army. right now though i'm working on 24+ plus gargoyles.

Dark Crescent
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Dark Crescent » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:16 am

Do you have a WIP page i would really like to see the rest of your stuff, i am going to be doing gargoyles soon got any tips?

sebastionsynn

Post by sebastionsynn » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:03 am

Do you have a WIP page i would really like to see the rest of your stuff
I can arrange that, but no i don't have any WIP pages as of yet, since i don't have a digital camera, and the webcam on my comp sucks. I have access to a friends camera on the weekends, so that's how i get my pics.
i am going to be doing gargoyles soon got any tips?
for what your doing, I would suggest doing something i did along time ago. i once owned and painted a pewter Balrog, and the scheme i did was a dark royal blue skin, black and white hair, and amethyst for the wing membranes. sounds gaudy but believe me it went together very nicely. I have all those colors myself and i can easily paint one up for you to take a look at. as for my nids, i plan to do the same thing as the rest, so black exoskeleton, pinkish flesh, metallics for the carapace and for the wing membranes i'm trying for a light gray fading to black, to simulate the thinness of the membranes.

Dark Crescent
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Dark Crescent » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:36 am

sebastionsynn wrote: I can arrange that, but no i don't have any WIP pages as of yet, since i don't have a digital camera, and the webcam on my comp sucks. I have access to a friends camera on the weekends, so that's how i get my pics.
That would be cool, i understand about the cam. the only reason why i have one is because my wife likes doing photography. also the paint scheme for the balrog sounds interesting but you don't need to go to trouble of painting somthing up. i am interested to see how the black grey fade turns out

Dark Crescent
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Dark Crescent » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:24 am

these are the Space Marines I painted for a friend before I started painting his Skaven.
The Blue isn't as bright in person, but as I said before I am still trying to get the hang on my wife camera.
ImageImage
I took a separate photo of the leader because I couldn't get them all to focus