First go at painting minis (UPDATE: 13 August - Page 10)

Post your painting WIPs here!
Linx
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

First go at painting minis (UPDATE: 13 August - Page 10)

Post by Linx » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:50 am

***NEWEST UPDATE IS ON PAGE 10***
What you see below is a bit old now and these are my first models so beware: Newbness abounds!

So I essentially started playing the beta for Dawn of War 2, and became seriously interested in 40k. I've never done any form of table-top-gaming (unless you count various pen and paper RPG's early in my teenage years) so the concept and the depth that 40K had was almost completely unknown to me. I am in the military so I certainly don't have an unlimited budget. I decided to stop by the nearest retail store to me that had some GW products to get a feel for things. I purchased the AoBR tactical marine starter kit. This included 6 small pots of paints, and 5 marines. They were extremely NOT customizable, but this didn't matter because the painting was what I was most interested in.

I painted up those first five, and I became even more interested in 40K. I decided that ultimately, I'd like to try Space Marines out first. I also decided that I'd really like to try my hand at creating my own chapter to build and learn with. I knew it would be a bit of a challenge, but I figured if it was worth doing, it would be worth doing right. After coming up with a basic color scheme, I went out and bought a small box of 3 more tactical marines like the ones I had painted before (not customizable) to use as a testbed for my custom chapter ideas.

I have a few pics, bare with me on my noob-ness:

That's the basic color scheme there. Kinda going for a more desert style look. I know there aren't many highlights, I'll fix that on my next model once I figure out how much of that I want. There's a LITTLE bit of highlighting, but it doesn't show up on camera at all for some reason.

So then I decided on a chapter symbol and I finally purchased a super fine detail brush and tried it out making this:

I had a lot of fun coming up with this stuff, and I'm looking forward to painting some REAL (read: customizable) marines soon.... just gotta find some money. No one joined the military to get rich.

I'd appreciate any constructive feedback, tips, or tricks. I tried a wash for the first time on this one and I really didn't dig the effect. Maybe there's a trick to that I just haven't mastered.

Also... these close-ups sure do makes these look much messier than in real-life. Also the color is a little strange in some of these photos. That's mostly my fault for getting a little too frisky with photoshop color adjusting. They looked worse before due to my camera dorking up.

Oh and if you'd like to see my first batch of marines...

Or you can check out my whole web album here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/sammrichard ... directlink
Last edited by Linx on Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:25 am, edited 13 times in total.

muramasima
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: My first go at painting models (or minis... or anything)

Post by muramasima » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:50 am

They look great. You are definatley not a noob. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Scout Bikers, arch enemy of Ben's tau!

Ultramarines: 1300 points

CMcF
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by CMcF » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:28 am

I can't really add anything to Ze's post that's all great advice but I can say, Good Job! It's nice to see you painting around all the detail and I like how you leave a bit of black between the trim and main colour of the shoulder pads. You should check out my thread in this very same forum (WIP), as I think we have similar painting styles. I also washed a unit of tactical marines and didn't like it at all, plus I find painting around all the recesses gives it plenty of shading. I like my armour looking clean and polished, I guess I'm UM through and through LOL!

I would just say follow Z's advice you will be well on your way to being an excellent painter. Keep Painting! :)
I love the smell of paint in the morning, smells like...victory.

Linx
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Linx » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:58 pm

Thanks for the tips and the feedback. I certainly feel like I'm on the right track now and I really appreciate that. Thanks again.

Linx
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Linx » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:25 pm

Ok so I finished my little box of three pre-posed tactical marines. Again, this whole exercise is to test out my custom chapter theme, see what works and what doesn't before I start into some real minis. My last two I tried for some variations on the theme; What would squad leaders, or even veterans look like? So As you can see in this trio pic, there are some ideas in motion:

My latest one is on the left and my first attempt is on the right. I finally got a 5/0 brush so I tried going for a more detailed eye lense. I also drilled out the barrel of the bolter and the exhaust ports on the barrel as well. Here's a frontal shot of that latest one:

I tried to incorporate some more traditional military symbols, and I think it worked well. I'm very happy with the eye lenses. Oh and BTW, that's Pensacola Beach sand. Nice and white. I'll probably go over it with some color at a later date.

I'm glad that I'm finished with these pre-posed SM. I've got a box of Assault Marines waiting. My eyes glazed over when I opened the box and saw just how many bits I had in there. I'm used to these three part minis. I'm happy that they have them, however, as it provided a perfect starting point for me to cut my teeth on both painting and assembling 40K minis.

Next update I'll have some assault marines to show.

KrisL
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by KrisL » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:27 pm

The eyes on the marine with the red helmet are very well done. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

Marsdreamer
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Marsdreamer » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:31 am

Those look absolutely fantastic! I don't think I have ever seen any better first minis by anyone :P.

Keep up the good work and I will be following this WIP thread closely :P
What I'm Working On:

Chaos Daemons - WIP
Tau - WIP

War, war never changes.

okintofu
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by okintofu » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:20 am

You are drowning in compliments, but I must say again, "good job!"

Linx
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Linx » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:24 am

First off, I'd like to put out a HUGE thanks to all the positive feedback. It's awesome to get this kind of encouragement when I'm trying something new. The community here is just amazing! I've never found an atmosphere like this on any forums in the past, regardless of the topic.

Second; I've finished my first Assault Marine! This was the first REAL figure I've painted (read: more than three parts, like the AoBR ones). As such there was a bit of a learning curve in getting the model put together how I wanted. Then there was another learning curve as this was the first non-tactical marine and non three part mini in a set pose. Finding my way around this new model was challenging and rewarding. I think I've learned a lot and look forward to tackling my next four assault marines armed with a better strategy for completion in a more timely manner.

So here it is! I did a little more extreme highlighting, using multiple shades, and it paid off.

Here's a good example of my more liberal use of highlighting. I also had a lot of fun making those scorch marks around the jets.

That's about it. I'm going to do a little more detail work, not much though, and I'll then jump right into the other four. I'm really thrilled with these "real" models, and all the interesting choices I get to make during assembly. Next update, I'll either have the five completed or test out some basing ideas. I appreciate any feedback until then.

twomz2
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by twomz2 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:24 am

Very nice work. About the only things I could think to add would be to do more of a dry brush on the weapons (black base, then drybrush gunmetal or what ever for metal parts and paint on any color you want) and maybe some washing to go with the highlights.

turducken
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by turducken » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:05 pm

I love it, especially the markings on the shoulder pads. Fantastic job!
Ladies and germs, I'm the wedge buster, and I am here to bust a wedge.

I am also known as Benny the Crusher.

Blood Angel 1
Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Blood Angel 1 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:10 pm

excellent job! where did you learn to paint marines so well?

Linx
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Linx » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:54 pm

Blood Angel 1 wrote:excellent job! where did you learn to paint marines so well?
shrug Thanks, but I've no idea. Before I started painting, I looked around for some tutorials. No single tutorial stands out in my mind, however. I just purchased the AoBR painting starter kit with five tactical marines, and started painting. I noticed how 'Eavy Metal did their highlighting, so I just emulated that a bit.

I should add that I've done a little bit of drawing and whatnot, though I've never painted anything past the age of six. Also I should add that these take me quite a long time to paint. Longer than average for sure. Certainly that Assault Marine took quite a while. I'm working on getting faster. I'm thinking some better detailing brushes and a few more colors so I don't have to do QUITE so much mixing all the time...

Blood Angel 1
Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Blood Angel 1 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:09 pm

you could try mixing batches of the color and storing it. Also on if you go on YouTube and look up Jawaballs, he has some good painting tutorials (there's one on blending, and other stuff that might help), not that you need any help though lol

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:05 am

Urgh! Mould lines! :shock:

Nice painting though. First time painting small things in general? If so.. very well done.
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Return to “Work In Progress”