It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:03 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries
EDIT: There is an update on the previous page as well, this is a continuation of that one. I didn't edited it since this isn't an errata, it's more stuff.
=====

Couldn't sleep (even taking an antihistaminic), so I decided to hit some Elite squad members. I have to get them ready to paint by saturday, I'll only have access to my airbrush then.

Update: Elite Squad

Ok, new list (just saw I can take a chimera), so new set up for my "In the Emperor's name" - ITEP from now on - Elite Squad. i'll try something like this...

Officer x1 - Flak Jacket, Autogun, Power Weapon (26) [1/1]
Veteran x6 - Flak Jacket, Autogun, Dagger (17) [2/6]
Veteran x1 - Flak Jacket, Heavy Bolter, Dagger (22) [1/1]
Guardsman x1 - Clothes (13) [1/1]
Chimera x1 - 38 [0/1]

First, the captain. I was against giving a power sword to him, but he would be so weak with just a chainsword, I had no choice. I'm not looking forward to the day where a police officer will walk around carrying a giant sword, but than again, this is the 41st millennium...

I kinda like him, but that giant sword is eating me from the inside...

Close up on his submachine gun

This guy is the heavy support. They don't have IRL a single guy carrying around a .50, much less trying to shoot it with the butt pressed against his shoulder (that would be a terrible scene...), but again, in the 41st millennium this is ok. I made his leaning a little so he could get some support for shooting that giant .50 cal. The popsicle sticks are just to show, I'll make a better wall for him to lean on.

CLose-up on the .50 cal machine gun

This fellow is the driver. This game requires you to bring 2 models as crew for the chimera, and the cheapest way to do that is to bring the lowest point-cost model w/o any weapons or use some of the soldiers you already have, which I'll use only one. Since he's equipped with only his clothes, no sense making him carry anything other than a map. If the chimera get's blown I'll just place this guy pointing to where the rendevouz point should be.

Also, check out my brand new blog for some painting tips, conversions and finished pieces!

http://themechanizedworld.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:50 am 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries
Just noticed that I'm playing with myself on this thread here. I really don't mind but I would appreciate some criticism on how to improve my painting. Anyhow...

Ok, long time no post but I've been busy.

Got all the Space Wolves I've bought assembled but painted none (no airbrush), and since I had no other choice I painted some more bugs. I have to say I'm getting pretty tired of painting pink and green...

Decided to try something new after watching Romain's Colour Theory videos (all 6 parts here), so I blended the teal claws with lime green and edge highlighted with lime/white. Maybe a pure lime edge would be better, this was just a first try. If you think you can help me improve in any way, please post a comment.

click for a larger pic

Also, check out my brand new blog for some painting tips, conversions and finished pieces!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:40 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Location: 221B Baker Street, London with my faithful companion Watson.
Nice nids, do you highlight after the wash or not? If not I would try it if i were you it made my nids look better. The IG also look great, keep up the good work.

"Miniwargaming, is that for dwarves" - My dad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:09 pm 

theninjanid wrote:
Nice nids, do you highlight after the wash or not? If not I would try it if i were you it made my nids look better. The IG also look great, keep up the good work.

Wash on the skin or on the carapace? I didn't highlighted the skin after washing it, and I haven't wash the carapace (don't have a nice purple wash for it). Think I should highlight the skin or wash the carapace there?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:42 pm 

balangaz wrote:
theninjanid wrote:

Wash on the skin or on the carapace? I didn't highlighted the skin after washing it, and I haven't wash the carapace (don't have a nice purple wash for it). Think I should highlight the skin or wash the carapace there?

I meant on highlighting the skin but washing the carapace could work, and I'm sure you can find a good tutorial to make your own washes. I think lester bursley from awesome paintjob made a video on making washes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:37 pm 

theninjanid wrote:
I meant on highlighting the skin but washing the carapace could work, and I'm sure you can find a good tutorial to make your own washes. I think lester bursley from awesome paintjob made a video on making washes.

I could Highlight the skin after the wash, it would give the model a cleaner look. I'll try this tonight and post the results here.

I also use Lester's tutorial on washes, I have my black/devlan washes, I just haven't done a purple one as I saw no use before. Two new things to give a try!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:39 pm 

balangaz wrote:
I could Highlight the skin after the wash, it would give the model a cleaner look. I'll try this tonight and post the results here.

I also use Lester's tutorial on washes, I have my black/devlan washes, I just haven't done a purple one as I saw no use before. Two new things to give a try!

Haha, yep, can't wait to see the results. Good luck with the tests.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:39 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
balangaz wrote:
Yeah, that's one thing that's keeping me from trying several layers of highlight, I'm afraid that if I keep adding white to the bright pink I'll end up with a Hello kitty soft pink guard...

To avoid this use other colors to make your transition. Purple is a very dark color so you should be able to use blue, red and pink completely avoiding white. Add some brown in the recesses for added depth.

balangaz wrote:
Decided to try something new after watching Romain's Colour Theory videos (all 6 parts here),

I've got those on my watch later list. Any good?

balangaz wrote:
I blended the teal claws with lime green and edge highlighted with lime/white.

That looks pretty darn good dude. The talon has a great blend to it. The pic is a little dark but I would say to stay with the final HL of green and white.

balangaz wrote:
I could Highlight the skin after the wash,

What I usually do is base, thin wash, highlight, highlight, wash, extreme highlight.
If the washes are used carefully (so pooling doesn't occur) they can act as a sort of filter layer which helps blend everything together.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:02 am 

@Blue @Ninja my highlighting skills weren't good enough to pic the details after the wash, I've got a termagant who looks like crap. I'll keep trying more but if this turns out to be a hassle I'll keep the base/wash/finished combo.

Blue wrote:
To avoid this use other colors to make your transition. Purple is a very dark color so you should be able to use blue, red and pink completely avoiding white. Add some brown in the recesses for added depth.

Found a new dark pink tone who helps me to make the transition from purple to bright pink. I'll post a pic later, thing is it's much brighter so I'll have to tone it down a bit. For depth I did a purple line on the recesses, gave the impression of shadow.

Blue wrote:
I've got those on my watch later list. Any good?

If your new or have some extra time you should watch it, but they aren't ground breaking nor will teach you anything you don't know. I learned because I knew nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:56 pm 

Converted a Manticore yesterday, just couldn't say no to those d3 S10 Large blasts...

Also, test paint on one Tallarn infantry guy. Since l don't have skin color, or black, had to stop until l can get some... The shemaghs will have different colors on them, some red, some green, some blue but most will be just plain white. Guns will be red/metal. Also, l discovered that l hate to paint human figures!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:02 pm 

Since I'll be attending a tournament this saturday I decided it was high time I painted my Vendetta proxies. Only after I finished and took some pictures I noticed that I took horrible pictures this time...

This is the "day time" Vendetta. It's painted like the tank but with some changes. This time I did some pre-shading with the airbrush and used a lot more wash. Also, instead of paint I used pencil graphite. It does not look very good on the pictures but you can see the paint burn as well as some metallic shine.

Also, at first I painted all the wires and details on the hull, red/yellow/blue/orange wires and the likes, but when I finished it looked so busy it was a mess, so I painted over most of them and only left ones on the middle of the top of the hull, so it can be a center point to grab the eye.

The "night time" vendetta. At first this was painted just like the other one but then I decided to try that 'two colors scheme' where the top is one color and the bottom is another, but even with the masking tape and newspaper I made a few mistakes. Instead of trying to touch them up, I decided to live with them and see what I could do with a black model.

Also, 4 objectives markers. Tried to get the glowing effect but I wasn't very successful, but for a first try I kinda liked it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:01 am 

My new Stug Vanquisher/Demolisher, based on a German Hetzer Tank Destroyer, with some extra side armor and (after priming) some camo netting.

I have to admit that the vanquisher let me down on my first game, even with Pask and a lascannon on it it only managed to hit a crew stunned. It did serve as a fire magnet, but i believe that a Demolisher would have done more for less points.

Newer picture with the extra armor.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:54 am 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

It looks more like an ISU 152

Then a Hetzer

I really really like your Manticore though

Many of my best friends are Wargamers, and only a few of them are transvestites. Yours faithfully, MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall Khornate, Mrs. P.S. I have never kissed the moderators of the Miniwargaming forum.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:09 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges
Balangaz- really fantastic work! I love the creativity and the customization. Thanks for posting it. What did you use to make the objective markers? Did you buy them and just paint 'em, or were those something you put together yourself? They look great.

David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:02 am 
The Duckiest!

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
I *must* know what model your Vendetta Proxy is...

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next