It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:08 pm 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
I've been involved with WH40k for quite a while now, but I expand very slowly. As of now, my army is at 956 points without upgrades. I need to repaint a good portion of it (Termagaunts, Spore Mines, Hormagaunts), and I need to touch up pretty much everything else.

So, without further ado, here is my Tyranid army.

1 Tyranid Prime
3 Warriors (2 actually, one base with no model)
12 Hormagaunts
15 Termagants
6 Genestealers
1 Broodlord
8 Spore Mines
1 Hive Guard
1 Lictor/Deathleaper
1 Carnifex/Old One Eye
1 Mycetic Spore

Only 1 is painted, but I'm going to redo it because the plastic isn't painted. I got these last December, but still haven't done much with them.

Genestealers and Broodlord. I'm actually happy with these guys. I don't really need to touch them up, except for maybe the teeth and eyes.

2 Warriors. No Boneswords yet. The third was used as my Prime. I have to finish these guys up as well. The carapace highlights for all synapse creatures are Ice Blue, while the rest of the army will be Skull White.

15 Termagants. If you look at their feet, you notice the plastic. These were my first models ever, I wasn't introduced to undercoating until later.

Tyranid Prime. I will definitely need to paint up some parts I missed, along with the Rippers.

8 Spore Mines. Also not undercoated. I really need to fix these guys up.

Hive Guard. He actually turned out well, I just need to fix the base. All the snow kept falling off. His arms keep falling off too. I don't know anything about pinning, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lictor/Deathleaper. He was "ok", I'll definitely have to revisit him, along with painting the spikes on his chest.

CARNIFEX! Oh boy, is she a beauty. I'm not going to edit her because she's the best one in my entire army! I want to magnetize her, but I don't know how, seeing as she's already glued.

Yep. A Mycetic Spore. A LEGO Mycetic Spore. I found these pieces lying around and I realized that my limited-creativity was enough to make a Myectic Spore. Just look at the awesomeness!
Teeth! I can't get over myself! :mrgreen:
The Tentacles fold down and up! My brilliance in this model really makes me feel proud!
Size Comparison.

So that's my army. I'll be slowly adding up to this and editing it. I want this army to get to 1500 points with upgrades before I start collecting another. My list to get to 1500: 1 more warrior box, 1 more Hive Guard, and 1 Hive Tyrant.

CF

WIP: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=66534

Last edited by Crusherfex on Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 10 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:33 pm 

Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
looks nice i like the scheme color choices... reminds of my DoW II Retribution color scheme :mrgreen:

I'm not an experienced player but i think the white outline is kind of to bright... stands out alot, if you could tone it down I think it would look nicer.

Also what is with the carnifex face 1st pic left side, it looks really cool and stuff but why is it like that?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:05 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Thanks Tmb, DoW was a great inspiration for me, helped me stay with this color scheme!

The white does look a little bright (note that the flash made the white even brighter then in person) but the base scheme is snow. The white is an attempt for the Tyranids to blend in. I tried several colors (white, black, yellow, red, tan, blue) but white seemed the best. I'm considering giving the larger creatures a light blue highlight (which looks nice I've done it on a few heads) so they don't look awkward.

The piece you're referring to is a head that comes in the carnifex box; nothing special. Basically, the set comes with an array of heads, and one is a completely normal. No horns, no huge tongue, no three eyes, no drool. Each head has two parts, left and right. The right is normal, and there is a left that's normal. However, there was another left that was battle-damaged, meant for this head. I just used that one instead, to make it an OOE whenever I would want it.

CF

Post subject: Tyranid Prime
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:44 pm 

Tyranid Prime

So I decided to start the renovation with HQ. My Tyranid Prime wasn't too bad, except for the fact that it didn't look incredibly different than the warriors. The Prime used to be: Dual Boneswords, Deathspitter, Regeneration. Now, I decided to make it: Dual Boneswords, Rending Claws, Adrenal Glands. This will help it destroy those annoying walkers that assault my warriors. I still don't have any Boneswords (I do not like flipping Scything Talons up). So, here are several WIP shots and finished shots.

WIPs

So that's what it was before I started fixing. MC Scything Talons were the boneswords (yuck) and it had a deathspitter. Nothing really seperates him from the warriors.

So, I ripped off all his arms :D

My normal warriors have Scything Talons as their upper limbs. Even though the Rending Claws replaced the Deathspitter, I placed them on top as the Prime's hand weapons. The Boneswords are a different type of Tyranid (or alien?) so they aren't part of the Prime. They wouldn't be hand weapons.

Seeing as the warriors have boneswords on the lower set of their arms, I figured the Alpha Warrior should follow suit, so I put two spinefists on the lower pair. The spinefists are going to be my base for the Boneswords. I also added extra shoulder pads for every arm, showing his bonded exoskeleton (3+ as opposed to the 4+ for Warriors).

I'm hoping you noticed the base in the previous photo!
The Rippers on the base show his leadership and power over the lesser beings.

So then, I added the snow and the rock. I was aiming for the rock to be a place for the Prime to stand while yelling at everyone else to attack, but the pebble was small.
I added a second one, but I hadn't put it on until the Finished Product shots.

Finished Product

So, the Prime is standing on a few rocks in an attacking pose. He has spinefists for the time being.

Here you see a back shot of the Prime, with the Ice Blue. I like how it turned out, the sloppyness came as a plus.

With his retinue of Warriors.

Facing off against Shas'vre Kais'Mont'yr from MotM August '11.

That's the Prime. You might've noticed the green next to his foot. It isn't greenstuff, because it NEVER dries. I'm going to say that it's moss on the rock and he's just standing on it. The Prime is incredibly flimsy and will probably never stay up for a whole game. But, I do like how he turned out and how I improved him.And don't worry, I'll clean up the snow on the rim of the base. :wink:

Up next: Spore Mines
Due Date: Hollow's Eve!

CF

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:43 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Location: 221B Baker Street, London with my faithful companion Watson.
Nice stuff, I see what you mean you do highlight. I've just noticed your nids are pretty much a reverse of my original scheme (my original scheme was blue skin, dark blue carapace with pink highlights and red claws and stuff) can't wait to see more :)
(sorry if this counts as threadromancy.)

"Miniwargaming, is that for dwarves" - My dad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:46 am 

theninjanid wrote:
Nice stuff, I see what you mean you do highlight. I've just noticed your nids are pretty much a reverse of my original scheme (my original scheme was blue skin, dark blue carapace with pink highlights and red claws and stuff) can't wait to see more :)
(sorry if this counts as threadromancy.)

Oh wow, not at all, I was just about to post! And those must've been some fierce nids. Just imagning it makes me terrified :D
it's been a while since I updated. Yes it's Hollow's Eve, but I did not finish up the Spore Mines :(
I did on the other hand, paint/build other stuff. I was in the DM comp, MotM comp, and GBXXX comp this month.
The Prime was my Motm submit.

This is my DM submit

And this is my GBXXX submit
Look some Spore Mines! I actually am working on it!

I'll get the Spore Mines done next month, I promise :wink:

All C&C welcome!

CF

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:52 am 

hehe beat you to it ninjas ninja skills 1 crushers crushing skills? 0 :lol: on a serious note good stuff dude keep it up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:00 am 

theninjanid wrote:
hehe beat you to it ninjas ninja skills 1 crushers crushing skills? 0 :lol:

:(
theninjanid wrote:
on a serious note good stuff dude keep it up.

Thanks man, I'll keep painting whenever I have free time, which might be plenty next month.

CF

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:02 am 

Crusherfex wrote:
theninjanid wrote:
hehe beat you to it ninjas ninja skills 1 crushers crushing skills? 0 :lol:

:(
theninjanid wrote:
on a serious note good stuff dude keep it up.

Thanks man, I'll keep painting whenever I have free time, which might be plenty next month.

CF

That's ... umm ....... that's a lot of time painting. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:54 pm 

looks good and remember dont trust ninjas!

CLICKTHELINKINMYSIG wait what?

:P good job crusher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:58 pm 

Tmb wrote:
looks good and remember dont trust ninjas!

CLICKTHELINKINMYSIG wait what?

:P good job crusher

Don't worry, I stopped trusting ninjas when they came into my house and stole some tissues.

OMGYOUSABETIDID cough cough blaaargh...

Thanks so much man.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:05 pm 

Hey everyone! I'm back!

I'll keep this short. No new Tyranids Update, but my Tau Army so far.

Tau Empire

:mrgreen:

What I have built. One Drone refuses to fit on the base...

Troops Choice #1
All have pulse carbines. The one with the drone controller is N'tol (from the Bitter Cold RP) and the crouching down medic is Bap'nan.

TheNinjaNid-Devilfish
This is your secret santa, theninjanid! I'll be posting in the other thread shortly, but here you go. Hope you like it. It's the carrier for the pulse carbine squad.

Troops Choice #2
All have pulse rifles. I'm missing one (yet to be built, he's the guy from the skyray kit). The epic one is Shas'ui Yr'ro (but he is just a Shas'la in gameplay).

Drones

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:45 am 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

your drones appear to be a little broken... you might want to let the adeptus mechanicus take a look at that 8)

anyways good job so far, you might want to add another layer of green to the devilfish though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:21 am 

im with paladin on this one...

The look of your tau army is pleasing, the colors seem to work well together.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:17 am 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
I like the brown/green combo. What brown is that?

One critique... your base colors are a bit thin and the undercoat is showing through. Try thinning your paints down a bit and doing a few thin layers for solid coverage.

how do you plan on basing them?