Orrion's Mini Work in Progress thread (Warning: Pic Heavy)

Post your painting WIPs here!
Orrion Carn
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Orrion's Mini Work in Progress thread (Warning: Pic Heavy)

Post by Orrion Carn » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:32 pm

Hey everyone. I've been painting miniatures for about three months, starting at Christmas. And in that time I've painted almost a Tactical Squad of 40k Space Marines, with another assembled and waiting to be painted. 40k Tyranids with twelve Hormagaunts, three Warriors and a Ripper Base. With ten Termagaunts waiting to be painted.

The Halo Interactive Stategy Game miniatures I'm slowly working on.

And recently about three weeks ago the Mongoose Publishing Starship Troopers game. And plenty more to likely come.

Warhammer 40k:

Space Marines:
-(To note, I didn't know those scrolls were scrolls when I first started painting them. I thought they were medals and painted them as such. I like that look so I'll be keeping it. Sorry for all of you screaming 'Codex flaw!')
-(Also, I haven't highlighted the eyes on the Space Marines yet. Aside from the flamer that is. Though the closeup shot is a prehighlight shot)

Space Marines - Group Shot (I know the flag sergeant's right eye sucks. Working on it) :

Space Marine - Sergeant #2:

Space Marine - Rocket Marine:

Space Marine - Flamer:

Tyranids:

Tyranids - Group Shot (Warriors and Rippers awaiting carapace highlights, center Warrior partly finished):

(More shots to come)

Starship Troopers:

Temp Group Shot:
-(For comparison, a Space Marine is exactly the same height of the Cap Trooper)

Mobile Infantry:
Cap Trooper:
-My first highlight model. Fifteen left to paint.

Arachnids:
-(All Arachnid Warrior jaws are custom posed. By default they were all suppose to look the same. In a very boring, neutral mouth closed pose. So I cut off the little 'joining-nubs' and custom posed the jaws)

Standard Warrior Bug (Right) and converted Tiger Warrior (Left):
-Upper portion of Tiger bug is highlighted, working on lower portion. Standard Warrior shown to compare conversion. Tiger Warrior was my first greenstuff modified unit (Back red carapace crest). Claw converted with spare leg bits. Four 'Tigers' left to paint.
Standard Warrior:
-Test model. Still awaiting claw/leg lines and highlights. Fourteen left to paint.

Halo:

Covenant:

Brute and Grunt:
-Test models. Brute color will stay the same. One more for the brute to paint. Grunt color will likely change. Two more for the grunts to paint.

UNSC:
-None at this time. Master Chief in the works.

Terrain:

Starship Troopers Starter Set supplied Cardstock Bunker:
-With thincard base (Warhammer 40k box), sand-based, sand painted and glued on bits. Bits still need to be painted.

Alright! There we go so far! I'll be updating this as I go, though for a while it might just be Starship Troopers. I think I pale in comparison to Epic Duck with his epic minis. (I started highlighting my models when I saw his Quick & Dirty: 100 Orks in 8 Days video.) But hey, all a process in learning. Hope you guys like my work!

C&C Welcome.

Waargh! :P
Last edited by Orrion Carn on Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who says I have no life? I'm a gamer. I have THOUSANDS!
My painting/modeling thread

Orrion Carn
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Orrion's Mini Work in Progress thread

Post by Orrion Carn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:06 pm

Alright! I have little in the way of painting updates, or in pictures (Though I might snap a few in a minute), but last night I chopped up some of my Halo UNSC Marines to change head directions, cut off the backpack on one and greenstuffed them in place.

Cut off the arms of one of my Spartans and raised it up with it's arms for a more action posed look, primed red for Sarge from Red vs Blue).
Cut off the head of another Spartan to turn it another direction, being painted yellow/orange for Grif from RvB.

Cut off the leg of one of my spartans and angled it against a greenstuff rock for a braced shooting stance.

Cut off the arms and head of my last Brute for an angered/shouting/taunting pose, still unassembed after a failure with my greenstuff on him.

And lastly I got my Tiger bug finished.

EDIT: Pics added.

Finished Tiger Bug (No base required for Arachnid models):

Tiger bugs are a converted unit of my own from some good memories as a little thirteen year old playing an old 2001 PC game called, Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy. Tiger bugs, or Royal Guard bugs, too far back for me to remember correctly, but they looked the same, would spot my guys roughly 20" inches away in MWG terms, and would leap right into my unknowning platoon. I was caught totally off guard by these guys when I first encounted them and got so messed up I had to restart the level. Didn't make that mistake twice.

Normal Warrior bugs move 6" inches in a single action (Starship Troopers MWG allowed for two actions per unit per turn. So Move, move. Shoot, shoot. Move, Shoot. Shoot, Move etc etc.)

To reflect the Tiger/Royal bugs abilities, I created it to move 12" inches in a single action. But that also makes them a high target. And to not make them unstoppable I made their saves 5+, instead of the standard 4+ for a bug's armor save (I'm not up-to-date on the 40k rules, but in SST saves need to be equaled or surpassed to save a unit. So a 5 on a d6 would save the Tiger bug and Warrior, while a 4 saves the Warrior, but not the Tiger).

Making them suicidal units mainly for tying enemies up while other units move up. Normally takes a squad of Mobile Infantry out of the battle for a turn or two.

Speaking of the MI...

Mobile Infantry Cap Troopers - Corporal and converted private:

Getting better with my mini faces.

Tyranid Warrior with Venom Cannon:

Finished painting my last Tyranid Warrior. Well the detail parts that is. I have to mix up my highlight and I need to wait for all my Tyranids to be done. AKA I still need to finish my last nine termagaunts so I can get all my Tyranids done at once.

Speaking of Termagaunts...

Tyranid Termagaunt:

Nine more to go. :x

Ripper Base:

Got these guys with my Warriors, sadly I don't think I'll be buying any soon with ten bucks per base. But we'll see.

Tyranid Hormagaunts:

Five of my twelve Hormagaunts.

Space Marines - Finished Flamer and two Space Marines in the works:

Halo - UNSC units and chopped up brute:

That's it for now. What do you guys think of my work?

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:14 am

A lot of stuff you got there mate. Halo, Starship Troopers and 40k!
They're looking good, if I were you I'd try to get detail in the smaller stuff. Liek more color in the lenses and more usage of color on smaller parts: belts, buttons, weapons, etc.
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Orrion Carn
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Orrion Carn » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks Luna!

Yeah, at first I wasn't doing lens was mainly since I was slowly gathering my set of colors. But then I was on games-workshop and saw some eye highlights in a tutorial. That's when I ran upstairs and did the highlights on my flamer haha.

I still grab my minis now and then and touch up on some details that I was afraid to touch a while ago, now that I've gotten better in freehand and a more steady hand for small details. For comparison I couldn't do the teeth on the Tyranids, now I go back and redo them.

But thanks for the tips! I'll surely start work on those!

Orrion Carn
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Orrion Carn » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:10 am

Got some updates.

Oh. Look what I got in the mail :D

Arachnid Brain Bug
I purchased this guy off Ebay about a week ago and just got it in today. My first metal miniature so I happily looked up my PDF MWGing help guide that I got when I signed up here to help make my first metal mini correctly. AKA the super glue/green stuff trick.

From start to finish: Unboxing, to pre-cleaning shots, post cleaning and assembling, and built brain bug with a three layer thincard base made from the box. (There are some gaps where the model just wouldn't fit correctly, and that may just be an 'ok' mold. But I can clean those up easily with green stuff)

I'm going to be taking him out to the garage tomorrow to prime him. Which color primer (White or Black) would go well with a Calthan Brown Foundation base coat? I'm thinking black spray paint. I'm going to make him look like a tan-y color so I'm using Elf Flesh as a highlight. (Painting him similar to this. Also by a glance what colors do you think could be used here?)

Now some other updates

Warhammer 40k
Space Marine Sergeant
Partially redone. I re-did his face after watching the MWG video on Faces and Skin. Truely helped me out in improving my faces big time! Also touched up a bit on different places on his armor.

Halo
Covenant Brute Pose #2
The arms didn't stick well for this guy so I had to forget about him for a while until I figured out what to do. Apparently I had some extra green stuff left over and used the good old super glue/green stuff trick. Worked like a charm! Time to get this bad boy painted up soon.

Starship Troopers
Mobile Infantry Faces
Again, these were done after I watched the new MWG video Faces and Skin. (Middle Corporal in the third picture was my first attempt. Sadly he has to stay that way due to bad black paint) The eyes on some are a little big, but I only had a 3/0 brush on hand. Today I bought myself a set of 0, 3/0, 5/0 and 10/0 paint brushes. So I should be doing much better details now that I have small enough brushes :D

Terrain
Starship Troopers Bunker 95% complete
Finally got around to doing some of the spare bits on this guy. And I must say, he made an awesome piece of scenery in my last two games. All I need to do is finish painting the gun and arm in the second pic, and add some more blood effects. Green blood for the bugs and red blood for the helmets and arms. Respectfully.

More Bunkers
Printed five of these bunkers out, two of which I follow the instructions. While the third one I used three of them to make a 'Whiskey Outpost-ish' bunker. Of which both my dad and brother in the seperate games used that to try and attack me. Stupid dice rolls >_< (One roll away from destroying the objective {Below} and they wiped me out after I failed to get a six >_<)

Comstation
This building played as a defend/destroy objective in my last two games and it was an amazing center piece. Might get some foam here soon to do more rocky stuff, and add more detail to this. But for now:

Silo and 40k Bridge
Nuff said really.

So that's it for now. C&C perfectly welcome! :D

Smartah
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Orrion's Mini Work in Progress thread (Warning: Pic Heavy)

Post by Smartah » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:40 pm

That is one fugly disgusting bug. I want to squish it... Very cool find dude! I can't wait to see paint on it. It'll be the thing of nightmares even moreso than it is now
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!
Check out Smartah Studios on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter! @Smartah

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
[X---------] Painted (10%)
Eldar
[X----------] Painted (4%)

Orrion Carn
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Orrion Carn » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:45 am

Thanks, Smartah! Oh, guess what? Painted! (Note the glue was still drying when I took these shots)

One. Big. Fat. Smart Bug.

Primer: Flat White
Brain Bug undercoat: Calthan Brown
Chariot bugs undercoat: Undercoat Black (Watered down)
Hide (Body): Elf Flesh
Carapace (Chariot): Red Gore
Washes used to darken multiple areas: Badab Black
Legs: Calthan Brown, darked extremely with Badab Black, drybrushed Elf Flesh, then lightly washed with Badab Black
Eyes: Undercoat black
Eye Shine: Skull White
Base Rim: Calthan Brown

I still have areas to touch up and highlight some areas like the mouth and brighten up the chariot bugs a bit, but that's what it'll mainly look like! I'll take care of the sand that got into tight corners tomorrow, so don't mind those. Might add a spare bit or two, maybe even a head to the Brainz-suckerz. Thoughts?

Tiger Bug #2

My workstation and pending models:

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:04 pm

That is one big bug. I think if I saw a bug in my house the same size as that model, I'd faint.

But the paint job, awesome!
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Orrion Carn
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Orrion Carn » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:08 am

Thanks Soria!

Orrion Carn
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Orrion Carn » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:37 am

About 3/4th the way done with all the Tyranids I currently own. Should have some pic up tomorrow (Today if you want to be accurate :p )

Now I have a question for you all, any particular model you want to see painted? Like those Halo minis? Or me finishing up my Space Marines? What about more Mobile Infantry and Arachnids? SPEAK.

Please and thank you. :D

Orrion Carn
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Orrion Carn » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:07 am

It's late, but here's the pics I promised :D

(BTW, what Hive Fleet does this look like? Leviathan or custom fleet?)

Tyranids
- x1 Ripper Swarm, x3 Warriors, x10 Termagaunts and x12 Hormagaunts

Termagaunts

Starship Troopers
Brain Bug Finished

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:02 am

Just checking back on the big HQ worm of the starship troopers;
Perhaps its a nice idea to add some 'slime' effects to his mouth. If you have Ink or gloss varnish, apply it to the mouth and on places you want to be glossy. It'll look like he's really a slimy bug ;)
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Orrion Carn
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Orrion Carn » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:01 am

Thanks Luna! I don't have any gloss, and I've already inked it (Will add some more since I got my Army Book for the Arachnids in and saw a better mouth pic.), but I'll rummage around the house here and see if I can find anything. Maybe borrow my sister's nail gloss (As far as I know only nail polish remover removes paint, warn me if I'm wrong).

Any suggestions Luna?

Btw I got five things in today. A Mobile Infantry Army Book, Arachnid Army Book, two Chickenhawk M9 Marauder suits and a big Plasma Bug (Roughly 8 inches long by 5 1/2 inches tall O_O ) Pics tomorrow.

Orrion Carn
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Orrion Carn » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:12 am

Pics as promised.

Sorry, I was planning on showing assembly on the M9 Marauders, but I was so wrapped up I forgot to do it. So I told myself I was going to take assembly pics for the second one...Well... :P

I've also tried something different with assembly. With my plasma bug I tried a mix of Citadel plastic glue and super glue. Seemed to work, though it was a pain getting the pieces to stay put. Which would have been the problem anyways with plastic glue by itself.

With the M9 Marauders I used just super glue and with all my might (And I have a bit, I was lifting roughly fifty DariGold double packs of two gallon milks. Daily for six months. Not to mention tons of individual Western Family and DariGold gallons :/ ) I can't budge the joints. Maybe the accessories, but the legs won't budge. No matter how much I want to rearrange the 'neutral' posed one :oops:

Arachnid Plasma Bug
-Unboxing to fully assembled.

Mobile Infantry M9 'Chickenhawk' Marauder
-For size comparison it's on a 60mm base. Same as a Space Marine Dreadnaught if I'm correct?

Thanks for looking!

Orrion Carn
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Orrion Carn » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:29 pm

Put in an order for some paint yesterday:
  • Enchanted Blue
  • Ice Blue
  • Space Wolves Grey
  • Codex Grey
  • Iyanden Darksun
  • Tallarn Flesh
  • Astronomican Grey
  • Mechrite Red
  • Gloss Varnish
  • Chaos Black
  • Devlan Mud
The Enchanted and Ice Blues and Space Wolves Grey are for the body of the Plasma Bug. Codex Grey is going to be used as, Codex Grey, Fortress Grey and then Skull white to make my whites brighter. Iyanden Darksun would be used to help me paint the yellows of any mini I paint. Well I could go on and on. But I took Soria to heart and purchased the Gloss Varnish as well. Even if I use it sparingly, I'll have it on hand :D

I've got an M9 Chickenhawk fully painted with one to go, and I've finally tackled my last eleven Space Marines with four done last night. Hopefully I can get four-to-five done each day and get some space on my desk :P