Mars' Tau Cadre WIP (Painting Pledge 10/15/2010)

Post your painting WIPs here!
Marsdreamer
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Mars' Tau Cadre WIP (Painting Pledge 10/15/2010)

Post by Marsdreamer » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:40 pm

Yup, yup, another army for Marsdreamer! I ended up purchasing a Tau army from a friend. For about 200 bucks I was able to get:

14 Crisis Suits
2 Broadsides
1 Commander Crisis Suit
1 Set of Farsight Bitz

2 Devilfish
2 Hammerheads, 1 NIB

24 Firewarriors, only about 18 are usable.
8 Pathfinders, only about 5 are usable.
16 Stealth Suits, 3 are new, 13 are the old metal ones.

I think thats about it besides a bunch of Gun Drones and Shield Drones.

All for 200 bucks.

I haven't really decided on a paint scheme yet, and I am really not used to this type of clean painting. I painted up one Fire Warrior to a sept color similar to Bork'An, however it has some differences.

2 things, I believe I'll need to get a better white primer, and probly not use a Badab Black wash (or any wash) for that matter. The Fire Warrior came out a little too dirty and I think too "blended" together, so any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated in making this look better.

The undercloth was painted to represent snow/urban camo.
Last edited by Marsdreamer on Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
What I'm Working On:

Chaos Daemons - WIP
Tau - WIP

War, war never changes.

Asrodrig
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Mars' Tau Cadre WIP

Post by Asrodrig » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:50 pm

I like it!

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:01 am

Another army!?!? :roll:
I don't think it looks bad at all. Yeah you need to highlight of course, I would feather progressive layers of white on top of it until it looks cleaner.
I like the idea you have going with you pants but your right it sort of blends in with the torso too much and you really can't see them. This is a problem I'm having with my new color scheme at the moment. I can't figure out exactly where to go with the pants. Maybe try to base the pants a baby blue instead of the dark blue and then wash them blue. I like the idea of the camo but I hope you plan on refining it for later minis. It is a bit hard to see in the pictures but it looks a bit bland or regular. It also sort of blends in with the armor color.

Good work so far and can't wait to see more.
Either way, nice haul there bro. :shock: All of that for only 200! I wish... :roll:

...Blue
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

jimmy72nd
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by jimmy72nd » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:24 am

You got a great deal there...

cant wait to see how they end up...
"Only the DEAD have seen an end to War" -Plato

Blood Angels 4155 Pts
W:7 L:8 T:8

More Dakka
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by More Dakka » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:04 pm

That is an awesome deal... and you have a LOT on your plate now :)

If you want a pristine white (and you want to start with white primer) then I would go with a wash of Adeptus Battle Gray, followed by a highlight of Astronomicon Gray and then Astronomicon Gray mixed with Skull white 50/50 or 40/60 gray to white.

For pristine looking whites you need to really water down the Gray+White highlights so that they're almost like a glaze.
-SIGNATURR!!!

Marsdreamer
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Marsdreamer » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:20 am

Yes, I do have a crap load on my plate.. I should take a picture of all the blank plastic and metal that needs a good coat of paint :lol:

This model, was of course, only a tester. I was just getting a feel for the mini, what I could do, what I needed to work on, and how the scheme would pan out. Having done that, I am probly going to make a few changes to the scheme itself. Here are my thinkings.

Asurman Blue wash for the cloth

Astronomicon Grey for the base coat.

Wash of either Devlun Mud/Badab Black on the Grey,

Sharp highlights of Skull White on the grey.

As for part of the weapon, the fingers, feet, and backpack, those will be black.

Hopefully I'll get another test model up sometime soon.
What I'm Working On:

Chaos Daemons - WIP
Tau - WIP

War, war never changes.

Dtram
Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting Pledge
Location: Where the Orks frolic side by side, on roving hills and in gumdrop forests

Post by Dtram » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:07 am

Yeeahh.. I'm pretty jealous.. You keep scoring epic deals >.< Lame... Go... Sit on something sharp.. Or something..

Soli
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Soli » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:06 pm

Wow, I think the tester looks really good! It makes me think he is an elite city fighting fire warrior. Heck I like him how he is, with the grey and black making an urban camouflage, and also stirring up images of german stormtroopers. Great job.
Organics fear us. We wish to understand, not incite.

Blue
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:07 pm

Dtram wrote:Yeeahh.. I'm pretty jealous.. You keep scoring epic deals >.< Lame... Go... Sit on something sharp.. Or something..
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Marsdreamer wrote:
The new scheme sounds good but this part has me thinking...
I'm not entirely sure how dark/light astro gray is compared codex gray (the one I have) but I would think that after washing it, sharp white highlights might be too stark. I would recommend using either a lighter gray (fortress gray maybe???) or bleached bone. Might even have to mix the bleached bone with the gray base tone also because it may be stark too. Maybe if you did a few layers (feathering is so easy with the Tau dude!) of gray and worked it up to bleached bone. Just some thoughts.

Paint more Tau!!! :twisted:
...Blue

Marsdreamer

Post by Marsdreamer » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:22 pm

Soli wrote:Wow, I think the tester looks really good! It makes me think he is an elite city fighting fire warrior. Heck I like him how he is, with the grey and black making an urban camouflage, and also stirring up images of german stormtroopers. Great job.
Thanks Soli, I am going to try to keep the models as clean as possible though. I like the dirty look, but after Chaos Daemons (Particularly Plaguebearers) an entire army of Space Marines using Badab Black, and my Orks which are both using heavy washes of Badab Black and Devlun Mud; I really want to try to get a really crisp, clean looking army. Unfortunately that means a lot more work by picking out the armor lines.

I tried to do this with the Badab Black, but it just ended making the model look way too dirty.
blueductcleaner wrote:
Dtram wrote:
Marsdreamer wrote:
The new scheme sounds good but this part has me thinking...
I'm not entirely sure how dark/light astro gray is compared codex gray (the one I have) but I would think that after washing it, sharp white highlights might be too stark. I would recommend using either a lighter gray (fortress gray maybe???) or bleached bone. Might even have to mix the bleached bone with the gray base tone also because it may be stark too. Maybe if you did a few layers (feathering is so easy with the Tau dude!) of gray and worked it up to bleached bone. Just some thoughts.

Paint more Tau!!! :twisted:
...Blue
Thanks for the tips Blue, I'll definitely make a few tester minis and throw em' up when I get the time. Right now I've got a couple different variations of the scheme banging around in my head, so I'll probly have 2 or 3 models to mess around with before I end up getting what I want. Unfortunately I'm working a lot now (well, I guess its not unfortunate, I'm making good money... To pay for my addiction! :twisted:) so I only have about 4 or 5 hours of free time on any given day.

Anyway, like I said, I'll throw some updates into this WIP as I get to them. Could be tonight, could be the weekend.

Thanks for reading,
>>Mars out.
What I'm Working On:

Chaos Daemons - WIP
Tau - WIP

War, war never changes.

Marsdreamer

Post by Marsdreamer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:00 am

This was my Painting Deathmatch entry for September, 4 Gun Drones.

I think I've finally nailed down a scheme.. White and offset Red. These four little buggers were quite the training exercise as painting white is a serious task. I still need a lot of practice in this area, but I feel like I am getting the hang of it.. Perhaps I'll try my hand at some Firewarriors with this color set up as well -- See how that works for me and if I can master this technique.

Hopefully I'll be able to make more frequent updates in this section, however with school starting and a large part of my Chaos Daemons now unpainted thanks to me getting a host of new models, it still might be some time until I can focus on my Tau.

Thanks for reading,
>>Mars out.
What I'm Working On:

Chaos Daemons - WIP
Tau - WIP

War, war never changes.

Blue

Post by Blue » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:47 am

Very nicely done Mars. I like the subtle weathering and battlescarring around the edges. Feel like giving us a closer pic of one of them so we can see the layers better? :D

Nice base too, very simple and very organic. Is that cork? Do you glue the cork down first and then add sand or....?

...Blue

Nocturus
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Nocturus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:35 am

Looks great Mars. I like the scheme and can't wait to see some more!

Noc
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right. -Isaac Asimov
I bow down, Nocturus. --Aloh'Kais
Tau 6th Ed. W-0 D-0 L-3
Tau w/ Eldar Allies W-3 D-1 L-3

Marsdreamer

Post by Marsdreamer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:35 am

Blue wrote:Very nicely done Mars. I like the subtle weathering and battlescarring around the edges. Feel like giving us a closer pic of one of them so we can see the layers better? :D

Nice base too, very simple and very organic. Is that cork? Do you glue the cork down first and then add sand or....?

...Blue
Thanks Blue.. I used the Tamiya Weathering pigments as well, however I don't think I quite nailed down the streaking as well as you did on your drones.

I'll link you to some better pics sometime tomorrow when I have time to sit down and answer some mail/PMs, but I'll give a fair bit of disclaimer; I definitely needed to properly blend the white on the guns a lot more, however I feel as though I started to get the hang of it once I got onto my last Drone and I like how the outside white ring came out on my last two -- I tried a different method and it worked much better.

[Update]
Started messing around with some of my Crisis Suits and I remembered a long time ago I found a cool Broadside conversion.. It was probly this conversion that made me interested in Tau in the first place.

Anyway, I decided to try my hand at it and this is what I came up with.

He's mostly converted and obviously unpainted. Main things now will be to sand down certain areas (The top of the head for example) and do the base.. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for reading!
>>Mars out
What I'm Working On:

Chaos Daemons - WIP
Tau - WIP

War, war never changes.

Blue

Post by Blue » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:44 am

I have the same picture boookmarked! :lol: That's from the guy who made the current Tau minis.
I like it, looks almost exacty like the picture... Except for the 'shield' which I feel is too big. It's seems more just... in the way. At different angles it may look different.

On another note... would you be able to take a few pics from the rear? I have always wanted to see what it looks like back there with the MP's in place of the 3rd torso piece.

...Blue