It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:45 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengePlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Hello everyone! I figured I'd do one of these so here it goes.

This is what I own:
01 x XV88 Broadside
01 x Kroot Shaper w/ Kroot Rifle
02 x Devilfish
02 x Hammerhead/Skyray
02 x Piranha w/ Fusion Blaster
02 x XV8 Battlesuit Commander
03 x XV8 Crisis Battlesuit
03 x Pathfinder w/ Rail Rifle
03 x Pathfinder w/ Pulse Carbine
06 x XV25 Stealth Suit
06 x Kroot Hounds
17 x Kroot
24 x Fire Warrior

Here's Some Pictures!!!

Let me know what you think!!!
For 2010: W:6 T:6 L:12
Painted:[==[+]=================](17.14%)

Last edited by Poseidon on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:56 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Really like the scheme its cool(no pun intended) :) if I decide to play Tau I might use this scheme-thanks for the inspiration :)

*EDIT* nice poses too 8)

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are one of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:13 am 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #9Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Ah, White, one of the harder colors to work with.

It looks as though you're basecoating in black and then drybrushing multiple layers of white to get the effect you're getting.

Honestly, it'd be easier, faster, and would probably look nicer if you basecoated (primed) in white, and then used a Devlan Mud or Badab Black wash over the full model. You'd get all those recesses that drybrushing can sometimes accidentally fill, and the model as a whole would look a little less splotchy. Give it a shot on a model you're not using, and if you like it, great! If you don't, no worries!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:24 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengePlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
DrBored wrote:
It looks as though you're basecoating in black and then drybrushing multiple layers of white to get the effect you're getting.

YUP! Thats exactly what I've been doing. Good eye! I thought about basing them white and i think i'm going to try that, the black wash, n white dry brush, but i just want them to look battleworn. like the bork'an fire warrior on the GW website just looks like he walks around n doesnt see battle. :lol:

But, IDK, I'm new to 40k or any mini war gaming at that, so i'm sure i'll change my mind a ton!

Thanks for the input though! ALL COMMENTS ARE WELCOME!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:36 am 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #9Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Poseidon wrote:
DrBored wrote:

YUP! Thats exactly what I've been doing. Good eye! I thought about basing them white and i think i'm going to try that, the black wash, n white dry brush, but i just want them to look battleworn. like the bork'an fire warrior on the GW website just looks like he walks around n doesnt see battle. :lol:

But, IDK, I'm new to 40k or any mini war gaming at that, so i'm sure i'll change my mind a ton!

Thanks for the input though! ALL COMMENTS ARE WELCOME!

If that's the case, let me find you some inspiration...

Check out these posts. First is a weathered Farsight army.

http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic ... 22&t=10515

And here is a slightly less weathered army with some Forgeworld Suits

http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic ... 22&t=15796

In terms of painting, drybrushing is fast and will get you an effect, but there are other ways that let skill and time shine through.

Here's a simple trick...

Decide an area that you want weathered, like the shoulder of the crisis suit. Line an angle with a messy dab of Chaos Black. Let that dry, and then carefully go back with Codex Grey and fill in the black spot without overlapping it. This simple trick will make it seem as though a layer of paint has been scraped right off your model, and it takes just a few seconds to do! Lay a few of those across your model, along with a messy wash of Devlan Mud and a quick drybrushing of Codex Grey or Fortress Grey over the white and you'll have a real messy looking model.

*edit, you can also use Chainmail or Boltgun Silver instead of the greys to get the same, though slightly shinier effect. It works better when used on vehicles that would naturally be made out of metal, versus personal armor that would probably be made out of plastic-metal compounds.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:10 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

DrBored wrote:
If that's the case, let me find you some inspiration...

WOW :shock:
You definitely found me some inspiration! Since i joined MWG I've been waiting for posts like yours that respond exactly to what I need help with at the moment. Thank you again for you're input and please keep a lookout for my updates as i will surley be taking a turn on my painting. :D

Also, I'd still appreciate other peoples opinions, as variety is what gets the mind churning! :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:11 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Looks great man,

you should try the advice on priming white and washing black.

Blood Angels 4155 Pts
W:7 L:8 T:8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:11 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
From my experience washing black doesn't look very good over white, sure it makes it look dirty, but in my opinion it makes the model look dirty, not like the figure the model represents is dirty... I dunno if that makes sense..

But anyway, here is a good tutorial on doing battle damage, it seems easy enough, but try it out on a few un-important models because it takes a little bit to get the technique down. When I first tried it I couldn't get the large pock marks. I haven't experimented with it fully yet, but it helps to dip the sponge in whatever color you want, then dab it on a piece of paper until you get a pock marked look that appeals, then press it into a spot on the model, and then repeat. It doesn't look great if you repeatedly sponge the same area though. Anyway, enough of me blabbing, here is the link.

http://www.thedarkfortress.co.uk/tech_r ... emilio.htm

Also, the Tau look good, you are a bold man choosing white as your first color to deal with. Apart from yellow I think White is the hardest color to paint properly.

Good luck!

--Mars out.

Chaos Daemons - WIP
Tau - WIP

War, war never changes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:03 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Thanks marsdreamer that should definitely come in handy. Although what do you guys think about actually chipping some of the armor instead of painting the black and light colors around the sponge painting?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:36 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
You're welcome.

Pertaining to your question. I think that it sometimes can work, but it is difficult to pull it off without being a really good modeler. I've only ever really seen it done well with bullet holes or dings, ruling out the crazy Golden Daemon level hobbyists of course.

I've seen a few good tutorials online , but that was well over a year ago and I don't have them bookmarked anymore. Try googling "How to Sculpt Battle Damage?" or something and see what you come up with.

Personally, I think painting it on is the way to go. Its less destructive and less dangerous (lets face it, if you try to chop into your minis, you're undoubtedly going to chop into your fingers a few times). Not mention, if you mess up with the paint you can just go over it and try again. If you make a mistake cutting then you're kinda screwed.

Hope this helps,
--Mars out.

Chaos Daemons - WIP
Tau - WIP

War, war never changes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:16 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

hey man rly rly diggin the tau man and i mean some people lke the white flat and bold but i think in your case the kinda dusted on effect in contrast to the gold is rly working out. good stuff keep up the work! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:53 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

So I just got done with a tournament. It was 500 points and i covered more about it on this thread.

But i guess this is gonna be a mini battle report. nothing spectacular. :roll:

anyway, We played 6 games. All custom battles made by the store manager. I wound up with a W:3 T:0 L:3 record which i enjoyed cause those are the first three wins ive gotten since i started playing 40k. the matchups went as follows: Game 1:Tyranids, Lose ( i got tabled and i only managed to wound one of his warriors not even killing it... :cry: epic fail.) Game 2: Eldar, Win; Game 3: Imperial Guard, Win; Game 4: Imperial Guard, Lose; Game 5: Imperial Guard, Win; Game 6: Imperial Guard, Lose

I wound up getting 7th out of ten that day (prolly somewhere in the middle out of both days). n we got points for fully painted army which mine was not. I Had a blast tho!

The Game preserve in Lafayette IN is awesome and if you get a chance you should play there.

I took a few pictures while i was playing:

Whats that behind us? oh right.... DEATH!
My Kroot actually did awesome in two of my games. this one (killing an eldar unit in CC), and also stole an objective from an IG unit after slaughtering them in CC.
I got my friend to buy an army (new, unassembled) 5 days ago. he played in this tournament!

COMMENTS WELCOME!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:58 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Love the paint scheme! Too bad you can't handle the power of my WAAAGH!!! hahaha :)

I'm Long Winded :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:29 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
You're very brave for trying to tackle the white color scheme. If I can suggest anything, as I struggled for a while with my White Scars, it would be to get a white spray-on primer. It'll help with making the finished white nice and smooth. Here's my technique:
    Step 1 - prime with white primer (I use a no-name brand. Your local hardware store should carry Krylon brand, which is excellent for the price)
    Step 2 - apply a watered down wash of Badab Black, making sure it covers the model evenly (I often add a drop or two of Reaper's Drying Retardant. What can happen some times, especially on a larger model, such as a Battlesuit, is the wash will dry in some areas before others, and it will get blotchy as it dries differently. The Drying Retardant helps with this)
    Step 3 - keeping your Skull White very thin, layer on successively until you get a clean finish.
Feel free to check out my WIP for pictures of the completed models, to see if you like the effect my technique results in.

Your Kroot are looking good. I use a similar color scheme. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:34 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Hey guys. Just an update. I just painted a stealth team with the stealth effect and wanted to know your opinions!
FEEL FREE TO POST!!!!