Blue's Tau&Terrain. 6/24/12

Post your painting WIPs here!
Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Blue's Tau&Terrain. 6/24/12

Post by Blue » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:05 am

Hi everyone,
I have put off making this thread until I was finished my deathmatch entry so it is a large first post. At least I included a lot of pictures for everyone’s viewing enjoyment. :lol:

I started collecting and painting GW minis around October ’09 and discovered MWG shortly there after in December. I have some venues to go play but alas they are far away and my time is very limited. So I figured I would concentrate more on painting. It often takes me 15 or more hours to paint one mini and still they’re not that good. I still need to learn a lot and most of the time spent painting right now is more or less teaching myself some kind of new technique or idea.
Currently the Tau Empire has my full attention. I like the true sci-fi army feel they portray and have always preferred a ‘harder to play’, more strategized war-game/army/video game/strategy and feel the Tau fit this roll very well. I’m working towards at least a 1500 point army in this color scheme and then will quickly change to something a little more advanced. I like to push myself when it comes to painting. I’ve done it since October last year and it hasn’t hurt too much yet.
This is every mini I have painted so far in order:
These were my first minis. I speed painted them all at the same time. Primed black with some gray drybrush on the pants and regal/space wolves gray helmets, fortress gray armor with white highlights.

Then I followed them with this skyray. I’m happy with the overall camo scheme. The paint job is horrible though. There are so many thick paint lines all over the hull from the tape I used. Regular blue painters tape. :roll:

I then went on to paint my pathfinders in the same blue scheme and hated the direction I was going. I dipped them into the pine-sol and let them sit. In the meantime I researched everything I could find and learned a lot, mostly from MWG and all of its great painter’s here on this forum. I also decided to use some cheap craft paints for now until I felt more comfortable to use the expensive paints. They worked extremely well I think and I still use them from time to time on my minis. These pathfinders and XV-8 are painted almost entirely with craft store paints. All but the black really.

I felt like I learned enough to evolve from those cheaper paints after painting these minis. I went with reaper brand paints for now because I liked the idea of their triad sets of complimentary colors. They work quite well I might add but I think I need some more variation/contrast in my highlights. My minis seem to come out darker than I would like and the pictures are always a bit darker.
He are the first two firewarriors in the newer scheme. This is also my first time feathering and using more than 1 extreme highlight.

I changed the blue sept marking to orange and they are magnetized. Here is a pic of the alternate weapon magnetized on there.

I have also picked up some pink foamboard and made a small hill simply to get used to working with the stuff. Nothing special but I feel as if it’s an accomplishment. I’m also in this month’s Group Build XV. Doing a ruined building for that.

My birthday just passed last Wensday and I am going to order a threesome of xv-88’s and some more paints. I would also like to order some new brushes but would like to try a different brand. I currently have mostly GW brushes and an Army Painter brush as well. The Army Painter brush has a nice tip but the Ferrell fell off and the paint on the handle is chipping. I would like to purchase some good quality brushes but not go Windsor Newton expensive. Maybe like a couple of 15-20$ brushes. Anyone have any recommendations from personal use?

I am still learning and teaching myself a lot so any critiques, comments, tips, etc. are extremely welcomed and as always honestly is highly appreciated!

Thanks for taking a look. :D
…Blue
Last edited by Blue on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 13 times in total.
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Nocturus
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Blue's Tau

Post by Nocturus » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:34 am

Models are looking good :).

All I have to say is if you are planning on picking up some Broadsides, save your money up and order the FW ones. They actually look like what I would expect a heavily armed and armoured XV8 to look like (which is what an XV88 is). ;)

Noc
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right. -Isaac Asimov
I bow down, Nocturus. --Aloh'Kais
Tau 6th Ed. W-0 D-0 L-3
Tau w/ Eldar Allies W-3 D-1 L-3

Blue
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:00 am

Nocturus wrote:Models are looking good :).

All I have to say is if you are planning on picking up some Broadsides, save your money up and order the FW ones. They actually look like what I would expect a heavily armed and armoured XV8 to look like (which is what an XV88 is). ;)

Noc
Thanks for chiming in Noc! I would love to grab some of those forgeworld suits but for now I would like to learn a few more things. I figure minis like those need a proper paintjob. They deserve it really. I am building a small scene in my head for a future diorhama including at least 3 of the forgeworld suits. Hope to be working on that project by the end of the summer.

...Blue

Bigbul
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Bigbul » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:15 am

Love the blue camo, great work!

The whole army has a very nice paint scheme, would love to see more.

Also, if you want to try to get your minis brighter you should try white primer - is that what you are using now?
“I would rather have a good plan today than a perfect plan two weeks from now.” - General George S. Patton

Blue

Post by Blue » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:22 am

Bigbul wrote:
Also, if you want to try to get your minis brighter you should try white primer - is that what you are using now?
The blue minis are primed black but the others are all white. It's the brown I'm using I think! It's darker than I expected it to be.
I will use white primer from now on, learned that one first! :wink:
...Blue

emtyach
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by emtyach » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:57 am

hey blue, great work. very nicely painted minis.

as far as brushes go winsor newton does have some cheaper brushes that are still quite good, the Cotman line is nice and you are looking at $5-7 a brush. if you are willing to spend 15-20 though you can get som W_N #7's for that price. i had a set that my kid destroyed so untill he can not destroy what he touches i will wait to replace them

for the most part i have one brush that i use for the lions share of my painting.Its an "american painter" 10/0 spotter by lowe-cornell and i get them for $3 and yes its golden taklon crap but so long as i clean it well (the masters cleaner) and i re shape the tip from timt to time and hang them point down they serve me well.

i am of the mind set that there is always a cheaper and = or better alternative to any thing out there so that means more $ fo minis :D

cheers
M@U

Blue

Post by Blue » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:33 am

emtyach wrote: "american painter" 10/0 spotter by lowe-cornell
I have the same brush! #4650 :lol: Its a silvery pink!

Thanks for the info on the brushes Emtyach. I always heard Windsor Newtown brushed went forupwards of 30$ a brush. If they closer to 20$..... I will have to look into them. In the end what kind of brush (hairs) am I looking for? Taklon?
Thanks for the warning about letting kids get to the brushes. I don't have any but my girlfriend sounds as destructive as your children.... Probably more so though! :|
I'm under the same mind set. There are always cheaper alternatives to the stock or name brand stuff we all use. Locating it is the hardest part. But fun sometimes too! :wink:

Thanks.
...Blue

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:12 am

I really like your paint job. Nice clean paint job, but not flat looking. You sir are added to my ' must steal talent' list.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Blue

Post by Blue » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:00 pm

Lady_Soria wrote:I really like your paint job. Nice clean paint job, but not flat looking. You sir are added to my ' must steal talent' list.
:lol:
There's not too much to steal, but you can try! :twisted:

...Blue

emtyach
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by emtyach » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

blueductcleaner wrote:In the end what kind of brush (hairs) am I looking for? Taklon?
the best imo and others im sure is sable.

taklon is cheap and unless you put the effort into maintaining and altering your tecnique you will be dissatisfied with it . im sure that you have found the tip to split or become forked on your american painter brush. as i mentioned i clean it frequently with the masters cleaner and use a brush shaper to keep a point on them.

Blue

Post by Blue » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:15 pm

emtyach wrote:
blueductcleaner wrote:In the end what kind of brush (hairs) am I looking for? Taklon?
the best imo and others im sure is sable.

taklon is cheap and unless you put the effort into maintaining and altering your tecnique you will be dissatisfied with it . im sure that you have found the tip to split or become forked on your american painter brush.
Not yet luckily, I have only used it on one mini so far though. But I'm expecting it to! My GW brushes have begun this forking. I recently picked up the masters brush cleaner and plan o taking a small break from painting while I clean and condition all of my brushes.
as i mentioned i clean it frequently with the masters cleaner and use a brush shaper to keep a point on them.
I'll have to look into this brush shaper thing. Like a pencil sharpener for brushes? :lol:

Thanks for the tips Emtyach.
...Blue

Greywolf
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #2Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Greywolf » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:30 pm

Great looking stuff there bud. Really like the green on the Crisis Suit. :twisted:
https://www.facebook.com/gearsandgutsgamingclub
Gears and Guts Gaming Club
Gaming in Sanford, NC

Blue

Post by Blue » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:37 pm

Greywolf wrote:Great looking stuff there bud. Really like the green on the Crisis Suit. :twisted:
Thanks Greywolf, I've been told it reminds some of mint chocolate ice cream! :? Funny that the paint's name is 'basil green'.

...Blue

Blue

Post by Blue » Mon May 03, 2010 7:02 pm

So the April Deathmatch is over. Congrat’s Luna! I really appreciated the challenge.
This was my first attempt at battle damage and weathering. The competition gave me the inspiration…err…guts to go that much further. I knew a simple nicely feathered mini would not cut it. Overall I don’t think it turned out too bad. I’m not too fond of this look though as it seems to hide a lot of the details and feathering. It is good however for covering up some minor last minute mistakes! I need to refine the battle damage a bit. I used bleached bone and black for the scratches but it seems too stark and I will probably mix in my highlight color from now on.
This was also my first time adjusting a joint too. To give him the ‘kicking off the ground’ look I wanted to point his toe slightly more. I had to cut the left hoof off directly above the cloth. Then pinned it straight through to the base (which was not easy!), Stuffed the gap with some plumbers putty and greenstuff. Wound up sanding and filing the greenstuff and wound up with that clump down there. How noticeable is the clump? Does it wash into the weathering a bit?

Any critiques are welcomed as usual. Honesty is appreciated!
Any tips on making the cracked clay bases a little better would be helpful also.

Thanks for taking a look.
...Blue

DarkAxel
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: Blue's Tau *Update*5/3/10

Post by DarkAxel » Tue May 04, 2010 1:06 am

I love your style, it'S perfect for Tau
Chaos Space Marines commander
Nurgle, Tzeentch, Khorne