It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:53 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Well, as some of you may know, I have a couple armies going on at the moment. Chaos Daemons of Nurgle being one and Lizardmen being another. I am putting a lot of time into both and my Nurgle Chaos Daemons are about 90% completed and will be completed sometime in the future, but I got some Khorne inspiration and so I'm shifting a little over to that direction. I only have 10 Bloodletters, 4 Bloodcrushers, and Skulltaker, but on my purchase list is; Another 10 Bloodletters, A Bloodthirster, and some Flesh Hounds to round off the Khorne side of my Chaos Daemons.

Since I focused mainly on Nurgle, I have little to no Khorne painted besides 3 Bloodcrushers (Which I am repainting), Skulltaker (also repainting), and a single Bloodletter (already repainted :twisted: ) Anyway, most of these are test schemes so let me know what you guys think. I'm going to post old pics of work done in the past and newer pics to show what I've done differently, and hopefully, how I've improved.

First off, my old Bloodletter:

And to this, my current idea for my Bloodletters. I will be highlighting with more yellow to achieve the fiery affect.

Followed by my old Bloodcrusher scheme:

And this is my new Bloodcrusher scheme. I tried valiantly with the shading/blending, but I don't think I got it quite right. Regardless He is still VERY much a WIP, the only thing done on him so far is most of the red to black blending.

And Skulltaker

Right now he is chipped and damaged somewhere in a box, so I am probly going to strip him and start from scratch. I think with my current painting skills I can make him look much better.

Anyway, thats all I got so far, so lemme know how I'm doing. I'll try to keep this updated, but I have 2 other WIP threads going at the moment, so please understand! :D

--Mars out.
Edit: I realize I have multiple WIP threads, each being a little too specific, IE, one for Nurgle, and this one for Khorne, so instead of doing that, I'm just gonna lump them all into one, if anyone is curious you can look up my Nurgle WIP thread, but from now on, all my Chaos Daemons will just be thrown in here.

Chaos Daemons - WIP
Tau - WIP

War, war never changes.

Last edited by Marsdreamer on Mon May 30, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 15 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:34 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

The Jugger looks great so far. I really like the blend up from dark to bright red, gives it a lot of definition.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:20 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Nice fire effect on the second bloodletter I like it alot. Keep it coming.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:48 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Liking the new scheme but the 2nd bloodletter's face sort of looks like (D-:<) sense he has such a stark highlight on the center of his face.

The bloodcrusher looks great (specially compared to your original one) and I want to see more of it :D

I love you every time one of these threads show up. -Jason
I submit! /cower -Mike Nixon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:34 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Looking good Mars.
The juggernaught is impressive. Very well blended!
The first picture of a juggernaught looked like he was breathing fire or something :P

...Blue

Post subject: Re: A Chaos Daemon WIP
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:11 am 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
As stated above in the red text, I've decided to just lump all my WIP stuff into here, so I've been working on some Pink Horrors in the last day or so and have 3 painted up. Let me know what you guys think.

Here is all three:

The base on this will be very fun. I made an Eye sticking out of a rock. We'll see how well I can paint it when I actually get around to the basing, but the overall structure I think came out nicely.

The one with the horns needs some notable touchups, but I'll get around to that later. :wink:

*Edit*
Finished up another one, thought I'd throw him up as well.

--Mars out

Chaos Daemons - WIP
Tau - WIP

War, war never changes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:24 pm 

-A Shameless Bump-

Update:

Been working on some conversions for my Chaos Daemon army as of late. None are officially "complete" , but they're getting there. I thought I would throw up some pics of my progress. Sorry there is no photo editing on these guys, but I hardly think it is necessary, after all they're all still unpainted :P

First up is my Soul Grinder. Since I already have one, I didn't want to have the exact same model on the field twice, especially since they're big and kind of a "centerpiece". With troops its not such a big deal, but here I wanted to do something different. He will be painted to the Khorne scheme, and he was a blast to convert. I only used the parts from one kit and a bit of Greenstuff. I still am going to add some green stuff and wires and what not to the back. Let me know what you guys think.

Second up is my Changeling, or Chaos Icon Pink Horror. Not a whole lot here; I added a cloak and a staff from a Lizardmen sprue. I'm not 100% happy with the eye, I may redo it, I may not, but it gives you an idea. The eye will be part of the Tzeentch symbol (The eye of course being the round bit in the middle)

Third up is my Skulltaker on a Juggernaut conversion. This was a little difficult to get, but after some massive conversion to the Skulltaker model I think I got it to work. I swapped his sword arm around and then twisted his forearm so that it is horizontal instead of vertical. Since I have to wait to completely assemble him until both models are painted it was hard to show how he is going to look, but basically each foot fits in a foot hold of sorts and the his right hand is going to be holding a chain that goes around the Juggernaut's neck.

Chaos Daemons - WIP
Tau - WIP

War, war never changes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Looks pretty awesome :)

Does that Soul Grinder on 2 legs actually stand up without falling over? It seems the model needs all 4 legs just to hold itself up properly.

Also - maybe it's just the camera, but the second blood crusher and the horrors look very shiny. Did you put some kind of glaze on them or something?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:53 pm 

I am going to mount the Soul Grinder onto one of the Large Oval bases (the bases that the Valkyre and the Trygon come on) so that will take care of his standing problem :P

As for the glossyness, with the Bloodcrusher its just the camera, he isn't shiny, however all of the Pink Horrors are a bit glossy. I haven't actually quite figured out how they are glossy, because I didn't add a glaze at all. I believe it to be some sort of interaction between my Vallejo paint thinner and GW wash. Either way I don't mind cause on the Pink Horrors it looks good :twisted:

Chaos Daemons - WIP
Tau - WIP

War, war never changes.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:15 pm 

Wellll, haven't updated in awhile, but that doesn't mean I haven't been hard at work. Been pushing myself really hard the last few days trying to paint up as much as I can for an upcoming tournament. I've made significant progress considering the only thing painted for this particular list I am bringing was one soulgrinder and 20 Plaguebearers. Well, here we go:

Here is everything I have painted so far:

Pink Horrors:
Finished these guys up about a week ago, they were a lot of fun to paint and I think they turned out decent, considering Tzeentch is a superior pain in the A$$ to paint.. At least for me.

Flamers:
These guys were a lot of fun. I painted one up first that was traditional blue and white, but it took too long and didn't look as great. These guys aren't great, and I know that, but it took about 3 hours to paint all three and that includes dry time. They were painted using primarily washes and inks making the paint job quick and easy. I have 3 left to paint.

Bloodletters:
Just finished these. I started on the group of 20 on Monday, so I think I made good time having them all painted in 4 days. These guys' skin tones were done the exact same way the Flamers were. I added "lightning" affects to the swords to give them a bit of "wow", but overall they were painted quick and dirty. Overall I think they turned out okay though.

Plaguebearers:
Not much to say about these guys. I painted them months ago when I was planning an entirely Nurgle army. They were painted using various washes and successive shades of greens and browns.

Soulgrinder:
Again, same thing as the plaguebearers, he was painted awhile ago, not really up to my standards. If I have time I will make some adjustments to him and maybe swap out his sword for the claw bit.

As for the army, this is the list I am bringing. Things painted will be in Green and things unpainted will be in black. Overall I have currently about 1100 points painted out of the 2,000 point tourny limit.

HQ
Bloodthirster

Skulltaker on Juggernaut

Troops
Plaguebearers[10]

Plaguebarers[10]

Bloodletters[10]

Bloodletters[10]

Pink Horrors[10]

Elites
Flamers[3]

Flamers[3]

Bloodcrushers[4]

Heavy Support
Soulgrinder

Soulgrinder

Well, thanks for taking a look, comments are always appreciative and I would like to know what you guys think of my growing Chaos horde :twisted:.

Take it easy,
--Mars out.

Chaos Daemons - WIP
Tau - WIP

War, war never changes.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:08 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
I really love the work you have done on your army. To me, a Daemon army really needs to have vibrant colors and stand out. You Sir, have done a great job at doing this!

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:15 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Bigbul wrote:
I really love the work you have done on your army. To me, a Daemon army really needs to have vibrant colors and stand out. You Sir, have done a great job at doing this!

Agreed! Very well done Mars. The soulgrinder looks great painted up too.

...Blue

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:20 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

those soulgrinders look great

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:48 am 

Thanks for all the compliments guys, I appreciate the feedback.. It keeps me motivated :).

Been working on my second Soulgrinder even though I don't quite have a base for him yet :roll: ...

But none the less, work has been getting done on him and I thought I'd throw the WIP shots up. The skin still needs a dark wash, it looks a little funky in the photo, but in person it looks much different.

Pertaining to the base, how would you, as a player, feel going up against a Soulgrinder like this mounted on a Trygon base? Its slightly smaller the normal hull radius of the regular Soul Grinder, but in general that model is ridiculously difficult to draw distances too anyway. Why GW decided to make the Soul Grinder and the Defiler not have some sort of base is beyond me, considering they are a walker. I guess what I'm asking is, would you feel cheated in anyway? Because I'm really not going for "cheesy", I just wanted something different, and if GW had a bigger base, that potentially better fit the model, I would use that instead. Keep in mind I will be going to tournaments (Granted, they are pretty low - key tournies that are fairly friendly).

Chaos Daemons - WIP
Tau - WIP

War, war never changes.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:52 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
I wouldn't have a problem with it being mounted on a Trygon base. Personally I think it would be nice to have the actual base defined on things like defilers and soul grinders. Looks great so far and I can't wait to see it when it is finished :).

Noc

Tau w/ Eldar Allies W-3 D-1 L-3

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next