FalknerBlitz WIP blog

Post your painting WIPs here!
falknerblitz
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Re: FalknerBlitz WIP - Updated 8/27/09 Galrauch COMPLETE!!

Post by falknerblitz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:47 pm

Thanks.....not really trying to be modest, though I guess it seems like that. The reason I don't see myself as that good of a painter is because I'm so bloody slow....I mean I take like an hour to paint 1 freakin gaunt....I think that if anyone was to take as much as me then they would have models just a good looking if not better. Still I am quite proud of this one, my best model to date.....I'm going to have to show it off at the local GW once I get the rest of the army finished.... :mrgreen:

Ashran
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Ashran » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:48 pm

It takes me just as long but yours would probebly still beat mine any day :P
dreadlord is a bar of the fish of the friction
I literally cried -Khornate
My Brotha from anotha motha.
I love you every time one of these threads show up. -Jason
I submit! /cower -Mike Nixon

falknerblitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by falknerblitz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:52 pm

lol, well I'm glad that atleast I'm not the only one who's this slow. I guess it all comes down to practice. I've only been in the hobby for about a year and I haven't done much painting even for that short amount of time. I was planning on doing a lot this summer but I've been really busy. Hopefully I can get my orks done before school starts in September.

Oh Also I finally started posting vids. Please to anyone who view this thread check it out and if you like then please subscribe, but more importantly give me advice and suggestions since I have no idea what I'm doing (first time ever).

http://www.youtube.com/user/falknerblitz
http://www.miniwargaming.com/channel/falknerblitz/

falknerblitz

Re: FalknerBlitz WIP - Updated 9/09/09 Nob Bikers+MegaBoss Skin!

Post by falknerblitz » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:01 am

Hey guys been a while. Have a little update here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7p_m2IVFtU

The video will explain. I've spent some time tonight and got the skin finished. I tried to blend to get a smooth finish. It look ok though the pics make it seem smoother that it person... :?

Eric.West
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Eric.West » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:54 am

Don't cut yourself down, that is some wicked ork skin. If you want it to be smoother have you tried reapers flow improver? Or any flow improver for that matter. Or you could try a wash after highlights instead of before, but that will dull them down a fair bit and they wont pop as much, but will have a smoother transition.
Successful trades : Greywolf[traded with him 3+ times], Lyzander17, Joe, Rhino, Fighting Gopher, More Dakka [Traded an entire army]

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:18 pm

I think I missed it, but what miniature is that orc boss? Its awesome! is it scratchbuild?
Anyway, the skin is pretty nice:) I would suggest giving it some more highlights, (like an extreme highlight on the edges of the skin).
Also @ the bikes:
"look mumma! no handz"
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

falknerblitz

Post by falknerblitz » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:33 pm

I did use some flow improver and drying retarder so that I could blend the colors more easily. I think it just comes down to experience - I still don't know where to highlight and here to make the transitions yet. :roll:

Anyways thanks for the kind words - the model is based on an inquisitor model with some bits and pieces added here and there.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... GameStyle=

falknerblitz

Post by falknerblitz » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:38 pm

Small little update. Got the basecoats done for most of the model. Two kinds of metal. Shadowed Steel (reapers) for the armor and Boltgun for claws, pistons, etc. Khemri for the pants, Mechrite Red for the belt, boot, eyes, etc. I'm going to go on to highlight with some bronzes/golds next and then add the reds/blue/greens/etc. for the wires. Let me know if you get any ideas.

Loota
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Re: FalknerBlitz WIP - Updated 9/12/09 MegaBoss Basecoat!

Post by Loota » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:36 pm

Looking pretty slick, what colours did you use for the skin? It's interesting I want to try it :wink:

Also you better be putting him on some epic base :wink:
"Loota, the little goody-goody boy who likes to stay on-topic and only plays Orks because they make him feel like a bad-butt"-Jombo

"I nuke posts like it's 2012"-Asrodrig

Visit my Youtube channel: Lootaful
Yeah Loota was taken.

falknerblitz

Post by falknerblitz » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:51 pm

Went something like this

Orkhide
+Knarloc
+Knarloc
+Yellow
+Yellow

Basically started with orkhide then added knarloc a couple steps and then start working up with yellow.

Loota
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Loota » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:52 pm

Did you use the same yellow twice?
"Loota, the little goody-goody boy who likes to stay on-topic and only plays Orks because they make him feel like a bad-butt"-Jombo

Yeah Loota was taken.

falknerblitz

Post by falknerblitz » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:15 pm

Ya....though not nessessarily twice. Basically just keep building up until I'm happy with it. So I guess start with orkhide, then add some knarloc, then add some more, add some more with some yellow, add some yellow, add some more......Not exactly sure how many layers but probably a couple steps of knarloc and then a couple of yellows.

Loota

Post by Loota » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:18 pm

Okay will try that on my next character model.

What are you planning on doing with his base?

Yeah Loota was taken.

falknerblitz

Re: FalknerBlitz WIP - Updated 9/30/09 MegaBoss Complete OMG!!!

Post by falknerblitz » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:57 pm

Hey Guys - ITS TIME. I finally got off my lazy butt (actually I've been super busy the last few weeks) and got my MegaWarboss finished. I still need to design a wicked custom base for him but ya the model itself if complete. Let me know what you think - hope you like it.

My thoughts - I'm happy with the way it turned out. I think the skin came out good, considering it's all blending (there were no washes used). I like how reaper and GW metals have different shades - gives them a nice subtle contrast. I didn't want the armor or him to POP - since well he's an ork, it should be all dirty and stuff. Instead I gave the wiring and batteries slightly bright colors to contrast with the dull metals. Anyways hope you enjoy. As always comments, criticism and suggestions are welcome.

Loota

Re: FalknerBlitz WIP - Updated 9/30/09 MegaBoss Complete OMG!!!

Post by Loota » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:01 pm

OMG! I love him, I really like the skin tone and the klaws. Now you need to model an attack squig for him :wink: Mabye you could have a team of Grots on the base manning his gun for him?

Yeah Loota was taken.