Project Redemption: Salamanders (Painting Update: 7/12/09)

Post your painting WIPs here!
MrMcOwnage
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Project Redemption: Salamanders (Painting Update: 7/12/09)

Post by MrMcOwnage » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:09 pm

Hi all and welcome to my Salamander's Space Marine army thread. In this thread I will be posting my progress and ideas during my time finishing my Space Marines army and hopefully receive some good constructive criticism and encouragement from my fellow miniwargamers.

The reason I decided to start a WIP Army thread is because I have always had trouble with keep myself focused on painting my models and this time around I want to do everything right. My previous attempts at painting, as you will in the first few pictures, have been terrible! I was one of those excited new kids that loved to play the game, but was too impatient to paint and didn't want to spend much money on the paint itself. Because of that I rushed into making a color scheme with the few paints that I had (Chaos black and Blood Red) and did a very sloppy job. One of my main objectives of this thread is to become a better converter and painter as well as become good at building terrain. All of my previous attempts, as I have said, have been very half hearted and have turned out disappointing results so any improvement I can make will make this project a success.

Here are a few examples of my old painting:

And here is my current army, short another tactical squad:

Now that those embarrassing pictures are up I will move on to what I plan to use to fix my previous work: Brake Fluid! Yes thats right! I will be stripping the paint off of all of my current models that are painted and begin the long process of repainting them as Salamanders.

Also, I recently purchased a Battleforce, a box of Devastators, and a Command Squad Box from Miniwargaming.com and will be working hard to assemble and paint them all to expand my army to a much more playable size.

The last part of my project will be to build at least 4 terrain pieces (Most likely ruined buildings for City Fight or a city based Planetstrike board) and paint them to a better than tabletop standard.

So in summary, the First Stage of this thread will mostly be made up of assembly and stripping/repair work on my previous collection while the Second Stage will be the painting of my entire army and any new additions I pick up along the way. The work on my new terrain will be mixed in between the two stages depending on how motivated and how readily available the materials are.

I hope you all enjoy my work and can help me along as I try to finish my army off!
Last edited by MrMcOwnage on Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Armies:
Salamanders- 1500 pts (Check out my progress at Project Redemption)
Savlar Chem Dogs (IG) - 500 pts
Dwarves - 1500 pts
High Elves - 3000 pts

MrMcOwnage
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Project Redemption: Salamanders

Post by MrMcOwnage » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:37 pm

Here are some pictures to get it all started off!
1st Stage: Assembly and Paint Stripping:

My old Models testing out the effectiveness of Brake Fluid:

One pile of Sprues from the BF, Dev box, and Command Squad Box:

Completed Rhino from Battleforce:

My first test run on painting Salamander's armour and highlighting:

I think the shade I obtained on the Dev Arm looks good, but is still a bit too dark for what Salamanders are normally. It was a quick test which still needs a lot of work and might be stripped off and done again. What do you guys think?
Armies:
Dwarves - 1500 pts
High Elves - 3000 pts

DigitalNinja
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by DigitalNinja » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:42 pm

Looks a lot better than your first attempt! :P
I want there to be images allowed in Siggys!

edsgotjive
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challengeParticipated in King of the Hill

Post by edsgotjive » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:04 pm

2nd attempt much better than the 1st, but it looks like you might be drybrushing and using line highlights. Try to stick to one because they do not work well in combination. Also I recommend the citadel washes if you have them.
Shop Smart...Shop S-Mart.

MrMcOwnage
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by MrMcOwnage » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:18 pm

DigitalNinja: Thanks! I thought it looked a lot better. I still need to work on the highlighting and blending paint for the second coat though.

edsgotjive: What washes do you recommend for washes? I have Badab black, but I heard that was more of for metal areas. And yes, I did drybrush on the elbow because the line highlight wasn't going on well. I think it made it look more sloppy so I probably won't be doing that anymore, though it does look okay on the fingers.
Armies:
Dwarves - 1500 pts
High Elves - 3000 pts

DigitalNinja
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by DigitalNinja » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:48 pm

Maybe an Earthy wash would look good with it.
I want there to be images allowed in Siggys!

MrMcOwnage
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by MrMcOwnage » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:03 pm

DigitalNinja wrote:Maybe an Earthy wash would look good with it.
I'll have to look into that. Any suggestions?

Here is a small update: My Master of the Forge and my partially assembled Devastator Squad with Sergeant
Here are the pics:

Front:

Back:

Adeptus Mechanicus Shoulder Pad/Side View:

Close Up of Conversion Beamer:

Dev Squad and Sergeant

I left the arms off of the Heavy Weapons users so that I could paint the detail on their torsos without being impeded by the monster guns they all hold. I left the heads off so that I could pose them after attaching the arms. I want it to look like they're all taking aim or firing and so I'll put their heads on after the arms are attached, or at least painted.

Hope you like them.
Armies:
Dwarves - 1500 pts
High Elves - 3000 pts

MrMcOwnage
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Project Redemption: Salamanders Update: 7/1/09

Post by MrMcOwnage » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:46 pm

Here is a bigger, more interesting update for all of you guys.

So, I have finally finished modeling and building my entire battleforce, command squad, and devestator squad, which you can see here:

I have also started painting. I tried to take my time in figuring out a good method of painting Salamanders and after one go at painting them the way GW suggests, I decided to change their method a bit to make it simpler and I think my first few units turned out well. I based the models with Orkhide flesh, as suggested by GW, but instead of doing a 50/50 mix of Orkhide and Snot green as they suggested I decided to just go with two light coats of snot green. I wasn't liking the idea of mixing paint for a whole army on my first go, so I looked around at other schemes and decided that just going to snot green would be the best for me. I have a few washes and so far I have tried Thraka green and Badab black on the models, but I'm not sure it has much of an effect on the armour's main color.

Here are a few pictures:

Assault Marine (One of the redeemed, depainted ones)

Assault Marine (One of the redeemed, depainted ones)

Tactical Sergeant

None of these models are done, I still need to clean them up and do some more detail work on them, but I still thought I would put the picture up to see what you all thought and to ask for some help in making my painting better.

Thanks for any comments in advance!
Armies:
Dwarves - 1500 pts
High Elves - 3000 pts

Vaipa
Gold Vault Member

Re: Project Redemption: Salamanders (Painting Update: 7/12/09)

Post by Vaipa » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:40 pm

That's a lot of good progress. What I can suggest is to switch to black spray primer instead of the white one. It saves you a great deal of time and grief, especially since the salamanders make heavy use of the black.

Oh, and don't be afraid of mixing :)
My army painting blog: here!
My Warmachine models: here

MrMcOwnage
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by MrMcOwnage » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:28 pm

Vaipa wrote:That's a lot of good progress. What I can suggest is to switch to black spray primer instead of the white one. It saves you a great deal of time and grief, especially since the salamanders make heavy use of the black.

Oh, and don't be afraid of mixing :)
Thanks for the comment. I have been using a grey primer which I guess is a lot closer to white than black. Unfortunately, I have already lightly primed a lot of my models, so I don't know how well it would work spraying them again. If it would bind I wouldn't mind cleaning the detail out though. And the mixing just scared me off because I wasn't able to replicate the same shade very easily on my separate tests so I decided to cut it out entirely for now.
Armies:
Dwarves - 1500 pts
High Elves - 3000 pts

Vaipa
Gold Vault Member

Post by Vaipa » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:54 pm

If you are very careful you can do a few distant puffs of chaos black on top of your existing primer. I've done this on a chaplain model and worked quite well. You can try it on a test model and see how it goes.
However, if you go white/grey it will teach you attention to detail, which is also a good skill to have when painting minis :)

Another thing you might want to try is a thin layer of Knarloc Green (foundation paint) before painting your Snot green. What it will do is apply a very uniform layer underneath, which makes your following strokes of color virtually invisible.

Keep it up :)

MrMcOwnage
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by MrMcOwnage » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:28 pm

I was hoping someone had tried it before. I'll try and get some black primer or black spray paint to take out a whole step in my painting process. And I have been using Orkhide shade foundation paint, would Knarloc green do anything differently besides provide a different shade to begin with. The foundation paint I have been using so far hasn't really given me any amazing results so far, but then again I might not be using it correctly.
Armies:
Dwarves - 1500 pts
High Elves - 3000 pts

MrMcOwnage
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Project Redemption: Salamanders (Painting Update: 8/14/09)

Post by MrMcOwnage » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Sorry for taking so long for an update. I know this isn't the most watched thread, but I still think I should have posted some of my progress since last month.

So here are a few shots of my AoBR Dread with its cheap sprue-seismic hammer, which was lightly glued there to have it represent an Ironclad for the weekly tournament I've been playing in. He still needs some cleaning up and a few more coats on the metals. He is also, as of now, still unnamed :oops:. Any ideas for a good Salamanders Dreadnought name that isn't Xavier, Vulkan, He'stan, or any other name that is already in use? I still haven't figured out what culture the Salamander's names are derived from.

Dreadnought Front:

Dreadnought Front:

Dreadnought Right Arm

Dreadnought Left Arm

Dreadnought Back:

And here are a few shots of my Chaplain, which I am still quite unhappy with since I fail totally at highlighting. I still need to do a lot of work on him cleaning him up, but even then I am not sure I will be entirely satisfied with him.

Chaplain:

Chaplain:

And to finish it off here is a quick picture of the whole lot of finished Salamanders. I have another Dreadnought, a Devastator Squad, my Master of the Forge, and 2 Rhinos in the works, but they aren't close to being finished yet.

Redeemer Salamanders:

I always hate posting pictures of my models because I finally get to see a Macro shot of them and they look terrible! When I am playing with them, I think they look great, but seeing their pictures makes me think twice about that!

Anyways. I hope you enjoy looking at my progress. Any constructive criticism or comments would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Armies:
Dwarves - 1500 pts
High Elves - 3000 pts

Vaipa
Gold Vault Member

Post by Vaipa » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:59 am

Good job so far! :)

The macro shots are good because you also get to see what spots you missed and you can get your models close to perfection. It's the closest thing to natural light you have as far as observation goes. Needless to say, if you paint in a dark room you will do some mistakes on your models as it's only natural.

bento-of-the-earth

Post by bento-of-the-earth » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:38 pm

What did you use to model your Master of the Forge? (he looks pretty sweet) And a name for your Dreadnaught...Ku'Zaken