Guardians of the Covenant

Post your painting WIPs here!
TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Guardians of the Covenant

Post by TigerDave » Wed May 11, 2016 11:13 pm

I am building a Dark Angels successor chapter, the Guardians of the Covenant.

For the curious, this is my son and I on the way to the 30th Anniversary Space Marine event.

Last edited by TigerDave on Wed May 11, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Guardians of the Covenant

Post by TigerDave » Wed May 11, 2016 11:28 pm

For my return to the Painting challenges, we start with a Rhino-sized tank and a five-marine squad.

Nothing fancy yet with the Rhino. I paint these on the sprue as opposed to building first. They are super-easy to do this way as most edges will be joints and you won't see the clippings. I will do touch ups as needed but they tend to be minor. So, today I scrubbed the frames before work as the sprues had been sitting in the open and collecting dust. Primed them with Chaos Black spray primer. I am super-picky about my primer, and while expensive, I prefer the satin-like finish GW primer has. P3 is another favorite and I will happily use in a pinch. Many find no problems with Krylon, but for me the paint has been thick and/or grainy. Will. Not. Use. Period.

Last primer trick I stick with is letting it cure over night. This is more a habit from my metal days (no, not Mötley Crüe in this case, but yeah!), with plastics the primer grabs more readily. I *might* sneak out and do the Leadbelcher tonight, if the Mrs. stops giving me the evil eye. I'm already in trouble for putting the sprues on the dining room table for a snapshot.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu May 12, 2016 7:25 am

giggles

I love the chaos black GW makes I just can't use it due to our humidity, but it's a good primer. Krylon's ok, but again, humidity here

Anyway, looks like fun! I put mine together (dry fit) since I haven't done one before and we'll see how it goes
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Thu May 12, 2016 7:52 am

I always love to see the process of something being build and painted! I actually never build a Rhino or have seen one unassembled. Didn't know that there a actually not that many parts. If I should ever build (and paint) one, I guess I'll also try doing this while still keeping it on the sprue. Looks doable!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu May 12, 2016 10:13 am

Nothing like sharing the hobby with the kids :)

I couldn't agree more about the Krylon, it's been nothing but a nightmare for me no matter how careful I am or conditions. However, I love the $1 cans of flat black they sell at Home Depot and Walmart. I've gone out and primed stuff in the middle of winter while snowing with no problems, it's kind of crazy.

My other favorite is Rustoleum, that stuff works great too.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Sun May 29, 2016 3:51 pm

Some idiot won a Space Marine standee! And yes, I have it in the painting shed. I hope to rig some sort of display shelving around it for my own miniatures.

Number6
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Number6 » Sun May 29, 2016 6:59 pm

Nice. I am doing a few units of Guardians to run with my regular Dark Angels. Love to see more of the successor chapters out there.

RSD
40k Dark Angels, Harlequins/Dark Eldar
30K Emperors Children
WHF/AOS Vampire Counts

28mm Napoleonics
28mm AWI
Malifaux Ressers

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Sun May 29, 2016 9:37 pm

Awesome!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!