Thousand Sons, DA, 30k Death Guard and Cryx WiP (pic heavy)

Post your painting WIPs here!
Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Thousand Sons, DA, 30k Death Guard and Cryx WiP (pic heavy)

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:57 pm

Hello everyone! After months in the forum saying that I'm playing Thousand Sons, I decided to start a WiP about the painting of my army that is in progress. For years, most of my army has been plastic grey as I have no artistic talents myself, but I'm blessed to know someone who is not only a great friend, but also a very talented painter. With his full agreement, I will be showing off his current projects and gives you updates as often as he sends me material. From time to time, I will also show you his works on his own armies which are a small force of Dark Angel and a growing one of FW 30k Death Guards. He will be reading you and he will happily welcome your comments and advices.

However, he is a very occupied man and has a familly to care of in priority and so, updates may be coming slowly. He also tends to switch from a project to another so he may be painting an Obliterator only to start a 30k Rhino when its nearing completion instead of painting a full unit and then starting something else. This way, he can keep himself motivated and going foward better.

I will begin first by Thousand Sons that are already fully painted.

Here is the half of my first Thousand Sons accompagned by a converted Chaos Lord using an exclusive Space Marines captain that was availlable for free in the spring 2014 when you bought things on the GW website. He added bits for the CSM aspiring champion of the normal CSM box. We decided to keep some imperial iconography to give the impression the he's a recent renegade and as a form of insult to the hated reactionary Imperium. :P

Thousand Sons and Chaos Lord of Tzeentch with powerfist and plasma pistol:
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
The aspiring sorcerer:
[+] Expand
Now, here is Ahriman. As you may see, he is clearly inspired from the image in the codex. I really loved the burgundy colour of his robe and my friend very skillfully recreated it. The top of the staff is reversed because it broke and it was impossible to glue it in the normal way. This model is the reason I hate metal as a material for miniatures.
[+] Expand
My Daemon Prince of Tzeentch. I really like how he turned out. The fiery details in the shoulder decorations are very nice.
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
So it's what is done for my TS army. I hope you liked it. Feel free to comment about it, all comments will be appreciated. More will follow soon including some DA and 30k Death Guards.

Edit: Added spoilers for photos for ease of navigation and loading.
Last edited by Kovlovsky on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges

Re: Thousand Sons WiP and some DA and 30k Death Guard(pic he

Post by Munin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:42 pm

Lookin' good!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:03 am

Sweet work, keep at it!
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Iguana1981
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Iguana1981 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:32 pm

Really like your Daemon Prince, the shoulder pad work is bad butt!
Black Legion ~ 450PL/8110
Dark Angels ~ 282PL/5449
Tau - 121PL /2152
Eldar - 217PL/3828

Chrissmith785 on Instagram

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:47 pm

Thank you for your enthusiasm! I'm glad you like my friend's work. Yes, my Daemon Prince is really awesome. It's one of his best work for sure! I think it's a picture of it with the base not yet finished. I will ask him for a new one.

Now, it's time for some true WiP and also a few already painted goodies.

Here is the first painted TS Obliterator. I really love how he made the flesh. It looks like unnatural overgrowth and the color makes it rather sickly looking. The base isn't done yet and there are details to add.
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
Now, it's Dark Angel time. Here are two DV Terminators, the one with the power fist and the Sergeant. Some details need to be done like the targeting cameras and some decorations. BTW, my friend wasn't very thrilled by the Deathwing colour so he instead decided to paint them DA green, but with a Bleached Bones head. Many chapters paint the helmet of their termies in a different colour so why not the DA? And I really think they look a lot better this way.

DA Terminator with a Power Fist
[+] Expand
DA Terminator Sergeant
[+] Expand
Now here is 30k Death Guard 10 men Tactical squad that is mostly finished. Enjoy!
[+] Expand
Last edited by Kovlovsky on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:52 pm

Oh, man, I LOVE the weathering on those Death Guard!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:17 pm

Munin wrote:Oh, man, I LOVE the weathering on those Death Guard!
What he said!
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:51 pm

Thank you for the kind words on the Death Guard. I'm impressed each time I look at them. The weathering is gorgeous and really fitting for them as they always had a rugged and battle worn look even before siding with Nurgle. My friend really got it right.

More is coming including a 30k Deimos Rhino to transport the tactical squad and something else I won't reveal just yet!

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:18 pm

To make the waiting easier, here are some more already painted DA units from my friend's army. Enjoy!

Here is a Dark Angel Captain. It's the same model that the one who served as a base for the Chaos Lord conversion that I posted earlier.
[+] Expand
DA terminator with Assault Cannon
[+] Expand
DA Dreadnought
[+] Expand
Last edited by Kovlovsky on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:21 pm

Thank you for the compliments! I'm really proud of them and my friend does awesome job on his own army as well. As promised here is the first picture of my friend's 30k Rhino with the interior painted. I really love the radar screen he painted. It looks like the old 70s radar screens! He's now working on the exterior of the model. More will be coming soon.
[+] Expand
Last edited by Kovlovsky on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:31 pm

All right everyone, here are the most recent pictures I got. The Obliterator is now completed and so is the base of my Daemon Prince. On top of that, I have the pictures of the now assembled 30k Death Guard Rhino and a quite advanced Death Guard Grave Warden Terminator with a Heavy Flamer. On the last one, what is remaining is to rework a bit the colour of the armor, adding the Legion and squad marks, making the armor looking old and a bit rougher and finally doing the base. I hope you will appreciate!

Obliterator:
[+] Expand
Daemon Prince:
[+] Expand
Now the work in progress :

Assembled 30k Rhino:
[+] Expand
Death Guard Grave Warden Terminator:
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
Last edited by Kovlovsky on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Novayne
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Novayne » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:32 am

Some amazing looking mini's in this post! I especially like the death guard & grave warden, though I have always liked that kinda of colour for some reason, hence my love of Dark Angels Deathwing, don't suppose you've got any of them coming up? :D As looking at your deathguard, I am sure you'd do a stunning job on them!

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:18 am

Novayne wrote:Some amazing looking mini's in this post! I especially like the death guard & grave warden, though I have always liked that kinda of colour for some reason, hence my love of Dark Angels Deathwing, don't suppose you've got any of them coming up? :D As looking at your deathguard, I am sure you'd do a stunning job on them!
Thank you for the compliments, it's really appreciated. First, I want to dissipate some apparent misunderstanding. As I said in my intro and in many messages I posted in this thread, these were all painted by my friend. I don't paint myself because I have no real artistic talents and furthermore, my hands shake. It's not dangerous or crippling, but I can't do very accurate things like painting details. I'm a perfectionnist and I wouldn't be satisfied by my own work. For my friend, this is a hobby and he really love to paint. He was actually volonteer to paint my minis. I happily accepted of course. I provide him with the tools and paint he needs for my miniatures. So this is all his glorious works. The Death Guard and Dark Angels are his own army, while the Thousand Sons are mine.

For your other questions, beside the terminators I've shown he still has two other Deathwing termies from Dark Vengence that will be painted eventually and some old 3rd edition plastic terminators that may be painted at some point, but they are pretty much bland, so yeah ... they are also very tiny since terminators were on small bases back then. Basically, for the DA you will see Dark Vengence Dark Angels + some old 3rd edition tactical squads, the old termies, a metal Azrael and a weird Land Raider. More Death Guard and Thousand Sons will be coming soon too of course.

Return to “Work In Progress”