It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:29 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Here's my 1k list. I'm going to try and do some new things. I wanted to bring a Tervi and a Broodlord for psychic powers. I may drop the warriors for a brood of zoanthropes as well.

== HQ ==
Tervigon (1) - Cluster Spines, Toxin Sacs, Regeneration, Cat, Onslaught = 230 pts.

== Elites ==
Venomthrope Brood (2) = 110 pts.
Hive Guard Brood (2) = 100 pts.
Zoanthrope Brood (2) = 120 pts.

== Troops ==
Hormagaunt Brood (21) - Toxin Sacs = 168 pts.
Broodlord Brood (133 pts.)
Broodlord (1) - Scything Talons, Toxin Sacs = 65 pts.
Genestealer (4) - Toxin Sacs = 68 pts.
Tyranid Warrior Brood (135 pts.)
Tyranid Warrior (3) - Devourer, Scything Talons = 90 pts.
Tyranid Warrior (1) - Venom Cannon, Scything Talons = 45 pts.

== Total ==
996 pts.

Subject to change. I'm trying to figure out how to be balanced and try new things.

Edit: I'm thinking about 3 Zoans and taking the primary from Telepathy for psychic screech and one from biomancy and hope for Endurance or Iron Arm.

Edit2: Take two, I think this is what I'm going with tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:33 pm 

It was a win vs. Eldar. 5-1 vp.

Here's the list.

== HQ ==
Tervigon (1) - Crushing Claws, Cluster Spines, AG, Toxin Sacs, Regeneration, Cat, Onslaught = 265 pts.

== Elites ==
Venomthrope Brood (2) = 110 pts.
Hive Guard Brood (2) = 100 pts.
Zoanthrope Brood (2) = 120 pts.

== Troops ==
Hormagaunt Brood (20) = 120 pts.
Broodlord Brood (133 pts.)
Broodlord (1) - Scything Talons, Toxin Sacs = 65 pts.
Genestealer (4) - Toxin Sacs = 68 pts.
Tyranid Warrior Brood (150 pts.)
Tyranid Warrior (3) - Deathspitter, Scything Talons = 105 pts.
Tyranid Warrior (1) - Venom Cannon, Scything Talons = 45 pts.

== Total ==
998 pts.

My first thoughts are:
--The game sped up. It could be we only played 1k points. There was good pace to the game. Movement was fast, shooting was quick and assaults were quick. The only times it slowed down were at perfect moments. Wound allocations in CC made it intense. It made an Avenger Exarch and a Farseer durable.
--Night fighting saved my butt. Venomthropes + night fighting = Nid's with decent cover saves. It also saved his butt as well. He had a Vyper zipping about that was making insane 3+ jink saves. What a skilled pilot. Hive Guard work great against that. He saved a lot of shots until the guard could turn around and deal with him.
--Pyskers galore. The tervigon had Warp Speed, Endurance and Enfeeble. I was up against runes of warding (?) But still managed to pull off a good deal of powers. Regen + It Can't die + FnP is almost silly. I wish I had Iron Arm on there as well. But, a Tervigon that can hit at I4 is also fun =D
--Look out for the Telepathy of Terrify. We played it as it nullifies Synapse. It can do some damage if combo'd right. We both felt it should, it may need a faq though.
--Enfeeble means you don't need toxin sacs on Hormagaunts all the time. I did feel naked without them.
--Hull points were fun. Glances didn't scare him much anymore. It's the pens that get nasty. I only managed to do a hull point to the vyper before the HG shot it down. With a lot of shots and bad rolling on his part. I exploded a falcon, but jink and night fighting kept it alive until the HG got in range.
--Shot edge table deployment sucks!
--Fleet was great on the Hormagaunts. It blasted them forward. I got into combat on turn 3. Rerolling bounding leap is awesome. I feel it almost guarantees a 2nd round assault. On their first assault I rolled a 1 and 6. Rerolled the 1 and got another 6. I was well within, but I imagine that will happen a lot.
--A brood of Zoanthropes with psychic scream are mean. They will shred units with no problem.

Overall a great game. Lots of great moments. My tervigon died in CC to the Avenger Exarch with a special sword that works like a power weapon. I should have had Endurance up for that one, ouch. It was a great moment though. I also had to watch out for fire dragons attaching melta bombs to my Tervigon. That was a close call.

I was keeping track, the tervigon took 8 wounds before it got sliced up. Regen and I can't die regenerated 6 of those wounds back.

Movement and positioning were key. It felt like a taffy pull. I had to give up positioning on one side to prevent from flanking with his Vyper, getting to my Venomthropes and Hive Guard, while getting cover on the other. It was a mini chess game of denying clean shots to my important stuff.

Overall, great game, I like the new system. Lots of pysker powers to choose from. My broodlord was so far away from anything, but I'd love to see him with warp speed on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:17 pm 
Bronze Vault Member

FotoGuy wrote:
--Fleet was great on the Hormagaunts. It blasted them forward. I got into combat on turn 3. Rerolling bounding leap is awesome. I feel it almost guarantees a 2nd round assault. On their first assault I rolled a 1 and 6. Rerolled the 1 and got another 6. I was well within, but I imagine that will happen a lot.

Isn't bounding leap just roll 3d6 and pick the highest 1? Being able to reroll those still means the most you can move is 6, it just basically guarantees it.

Vanilla Marines 5500

In that order!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:36 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
xsquidz wrote:
FotoGuy wrote:

Isn't bounding leap just roll 3d6 and pick the highest 1? Being able to reroll those still means the most you can move is 6, it just basically guarantees it.

He means for the 2d6 charge range. They're Fleet, meaning they can reroll any or all of the dice used for charging. He rolled a 6 and a 1, making for a 7" charge. However, he elected to reroll the 1 and got another 6, making for a 12" charge.

High Elves - 5k

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:10 pm 

Yup, sorry it was an interrupted thought.

1st/2nd round = moving 12" almost all the time. In this game, I did.

3rd round, Fleet made it so most of my guys could land in CC instead of just a few guys.

Edit: Also about my comment that a Tervigon hitting at Ini 4 is nice. It is, but I had crushing claws and couldn't. My brain was streaming through possibilities of what combos I could throw out there.