It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:38 am 
Silver Vault Member

So, i got my sixth edition rulebook a day early from my LGS and couldnt wait to read it. After i was finished, i was actually quite sad. From the looks of it, my Tau are going to be VERY effective in sixth but my nids- not so much. Assaulty armies seem to have been nerfed extremely, epecially nids. I believe this may be in response to the nerfing of vehicles as nids dont have any. My saving grace were the flying MC rules however. Flyrants and harpies will be in every competitive (well as competitive as nids can get now) list from the looks of it. This is probably due to the release of the harpy kit in the next few months and GW wanting to make some dough.

So, thats enough about my thoughts on sixth, what do you think about sixth and how it will affect your army?

Also, can nid players give input on what they think will be effective in sixth and what lists will most likely be run?

I know the book just came out and FAQs will probably change a few things in the codexes and rulebooks, but i am just scared for the playability of my nids and had to vent somewhere ;)

Tau - 5000+ points

Necrons - 4000+ points

Ogre Kingdoms - 4000+ points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:08 am 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
I like it so far. I play Chaos Space Marines and Chaos Demons, and it has breathed new life into those two armies for me. Even if I don't play a competitive list for either (I usually bring Obliterator and Lash of Submission spam in Chaos Marines and the Fate-Crusher list for Chaos Demons), I'm going to have fun playing for a change.

I'm in the midst of planning a 2k fluffy Black Legion list with Daemons as allies. I look at what I've got so far and I cringe from a competitive view, but then the little chaos demon on my shoulder says it'll be so much fun, and I have to agree.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:43 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

I'm very pessimistic.

Nids have even more weaknesses now than in 5th, and we can't take any allies to compensate for that. Hell, even fortifications we take are not as effective since we can't manually operate the guns in them.

Outflanking genestealers (and anything coming in from reserve) can't assault on the turn they arrive. Combine that with the heavy prevalence on shooting in this edition and you've got some very vulnerable genestealers.

The new assaulting rules screw us over IMO, and Fleet is not nearly as useful. I'd rather have a guranteed 13'' charge range (move 6'', run D6", then assault 6") than have the potential to roll double 1's for assault (even with re-rolling) and be left out in the open to be shot up and destroyed. Fleet now no longer lets us assault after running - that's pretty brutal.

The only boons I see are Boneswords and psyker stuff. Our boneswords still ignore armour saves, while several types of power weapons are reduced to AP3. Tyranid psykers are allowed to take 1 psychic power from the 6th Ed rulebook for every power it has in Codex: Tyranids. So a Hive Tyrant can take 4 psyker powers from the rulebook (in any combination). These new psyker powers are pretty powerful, but of course, the selection of them is still random (rolling on a D6).

Overall, I'm not very happy about 6th Ed so far for Tyranids. I'll have to see how it goes at my FLGS when I get back home. I only play friendly games, so hopefully it won't be too bad. Shame really, I've only been in 40k since last September :\

Edit: I just remembered another boon for Tyranids, and that's the change to Fearless Wounds. Basically, they're not really a thing anymore. This affected us mostly in multi-assaults where for example a Trygon assaulted an enemy unit that was in combat with Termagaunts, so the enemy would focus as many attacks as possible on the gaunts and cause several free fearless wounds on the Trygon. This is no longer the case. However, multi-assaults are now changed so that now you don't get the bonus +1 attack against either of the units you charged.

Edit 2: MC's do have AP2 on all their basic attacks. My mistake.

Though cold themselves, they burn the heart to ashes.

Last edited by TheSneak109 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:00 pm 
Gold Vault Member

I'm trying to remain optimistic. Lash whips got a buff, new pysker powers are awesome. I think broods of Zoanthropes will become what Warriors should have been.

For personal use, I wish Lictors got shrouding. Who knows, maybe they'll faq again with more specifics. Bounding leap needs to be re worded, imo. It lets us use 3d6 on the run, but we can't assault after a run anymore =\

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:00 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
1st MC does get AP2 for attacks, it is under the rule Smash not Smash attack I and 3 others at my local misread this bc. we didnt understand that Smash and Smash Attack were 2 different things.

Our Tervigons will be boosted alot with the way FnP works and now we can take other more powerful Powers too.

Genestealers with Broodlords will be good no too, yes they got nerf alittle but the Broodlord got boosted alot, with some of the new Powers they could be wrecking balls. There is a magic Beam shooting attack that is insanse!

Infiltrae cant charge 1st turn and yes no more assualt from outflanking, this does hurt us, but we do not have to do these. It would seem that GW wants no DS or Infilirate :'(

Having a small unit of 8 + brood lord for Psy defense and powers will be the reason for Genes now.

I think Flying Warriors, Golyes, Harpy's Flyrants, TFexs and Tervigons will all make it into almost every list.

Personally I would love to run full Genestealer list with a good outflank/infiltrate rule too.... But having played a few games with a 6th ed tailored list.... I must say its more fun than 100 genestealers, or a full CC army.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:05 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
TheSneak109 wrote:
Edit: I just remembered another boon for Tyranids, and that's the change to Fearless Wounds. Basically, they're not really a thing anymore. This affected us mostly in multi-assaults where for example a Trygon assaulted an enemy unit that was in combat with Termagaunts, so the enemy would focus as many attacks as possible on the gaunts and cause several free fearless wounds on the Trygon. This is no longer the case. However, multi-assaults are now changed so that now you don't get the bonus +1 attack against either of the units you charged.

This is great, the very 1st rule I read when I piked up the book was Fearless, I told everyone at the store if they didnt fit it im selling my nids for Chaos.

The Nids Codex says "FEED" is rage .... well rage now is AWESOME, so failing those LD on Hormagants and None prime Trygons will give us a +2 Attack,
30 Hormagants... 20 make it into combat (10 die lets say) they charge.... 80 attacks can happen! I cant wait for the Codex's Faqs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:38 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

jmaddux wrote:
1st MC does get AP2 for attacks, it is under the rule Smash not Smash attack I and 3 others at my local misread this bc. we didnt understand that Smash and Smash Attack were 2 different things.

So it is! I must have misread that. Thank you.

Though cold themselves, they burn the heart to ashes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:29 pm 
Bronze Vault Member

Holy crap a potential nerf on epic scale to MC's vs space marines (mostly), what a suprise... You can now use grenades on MC's-1 attack each!!!! So a tact squad with 10 krak grenades before got 5 hits and then got about 1 wound with a 6... now they will get 5 hits and 2-3 wounds since the krak grenades are str 6! At least they are only AP 4, but you can do the same with melta bombs... That means fire dragons can shoot us with meltas and then assault, hit on 4+, wound on 2+ and are AP1.

IMO that is the biggest nerf to nids I have seen in a long time...

Vanilla Marines 6000

In that order!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:32 pm 
Gold Vault Member

I'm grasping at straws at this point. The FAQ needs a FAQ and it needs to at least make synapse EW. I dunno, I had a lot of high hopes about 6th, the more I read, the more I see holes, big like a someone stuck a melta bomb to a carnifex big =(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:49 pm 
Bronze Vault Member

Wow oh wow. Found another one. Almost anyone can challenge, even a space marine sergeant. Imagine this scenario-your hive tyrant charges a weakened tact squad of 3 marine, 2 chumps and a sergeant. Normally you would wipe out all 3 in turn 1, now if the sergeant challenges the hive tyrant, they go into single combat and the best he can do is kill the sergeant which means he will now take 2 turns to do a simple task instead of one? There is potential for huge abuse here. If you decline the challenge you don't do anything...

Vanilla Marines 6000

In that order!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:38 pm 
Bronze Vault Member

xsquidz wrote:
Wow oh wow. Found another one. Almost anyone can challenge, even a space marine sergeant. Imagine this scenario-your hive tyrant charges a weakened tact squad of 3 marine, 2 chumps and a sergeant. Normally you would wipe out all 3 in turn 1, now if the sergeant challenges the hive tyrant, they go into single combat and the best he can do is kill the sergeant which means he will now take 2 turns to do a simple task instead of one? There is potential for huge abuse here. If you decline the challenge you don't do anything...

This could be of benefit to us, that same scenario in 5th edition our tyrant would be out in the open after easily killing off the marines, now we're in combat during our opponents shooting phase if we did the charge.

Click to level up my tyrant on heresy-online

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:21 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

As it stands... I'm uncertain.

I certainly don't think nids got buffed in this edition, but I'm not sure we got nerfed either.

However, IMO, we'll have got worse as a result of every other army getting better (thanks to allies). think of it as them all taking a step forward, whilst we don't move - we haven't been nerfed, but we're still left behind them.

Toxin Sacs have been improved, whilst AG have got a lot worse (because who wants to be burdened with choice anyway?).

You can no longer charge after you outflank, because obviously it has so many other uses. Such as... um... yeah, I'm not going to be outflanking in this edition.

The new shooting rules will hit us hard, since each death pushes our squads further away, and if we put our Prime at the front of the squad, he'll be the first to go.