It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Zoans as IC?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:52 pm 
Bronze Vault Member

I remember someone saying that Zoanthropes used to be Independent Characters, or at least you could spread them out.

How do you think that would work with the way they are now? Would it be viable to put them in a group of say Hive Guard and run them up the board?

The first big hurdle that comes to mind is the IC rule that and ICs have to move into CC if possible. I think if they were to make the current Zs ICs they'd have to make an exception to that, or you'd have to be stupidly careful about placing them in the unit.

What are your thoughts?

Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

‎"Craft counts. Art matters. Stories are important"

Post subject: Re: Zoans as IC?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:42 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
well my first thought, is show me where it says ic have to move into cc? please share the rulebook pg number. second, it would be total cheese, that would make them so good, but the points i think would have to go up at least 10 points per model.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:34 pm 
Bronze Vault Member

gorefangz wrote:
well my first thought, is show me where it says ic have to move into cc? please share the rulebook pg number. second, it would be total cheese, that would make them so good, but the points i think would have to go up at least 10 points per model.

First, there's no need to be so confrontational about it, so just take it back a step.

Second, (in the little BRB anyway) on p49, it says: "...independent characters that have joined the unit must move before other friendly models in order to get into base contact with an enemy if at all possible..."

Third, why would it be so good, in your opinion? I agree that it would be great (else I wouldn't have bothered with the topic), but I'd like to know some reasons.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:56 pm 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
they could only be 0-3 in an army... and were split up across the board but they did not count as IC's...

same applied to lictors and biovores i think

I do do. The cha cha.

War Cry:
"Overly Glorified Tickle Cannons Prevail!!!"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:08 am 
Gold Vault Member

Sniperfex wrote:
they could only be 0-3 in an army... and were split up across the board but they did not count as IC's...

Yup, something that is kind of missed for Lictors, imo. The fluff has them as stealthy solo killers, but as of right now, a single lictor can not do it's fluff like ways. You need two or three of them to be effective.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:58 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challengeParticipated in King of the Hill
I think maybe they were characters when you didn't have "slots", you could just spend a percentage of your points in different sections of the army list.

Last edited by edsgotjive on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spelling error

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:31 am 
Bronze Vault Member

edsgotjive wrote:
I think maybe they were characters when you didn't have "slots", you could just spend a percentage of your points in different sections of the army list.

40k used to do it like Fantasy?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:11 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
FotoGuy wrote:
Sniperfex wrote:

Yup, something that is kind of missed for Lictors, imo. The fluff has them as stealthy solo killers, but as of right now, a single lictor can not do it's fluff like ways. You need two or three of them to be effective.

Fluff almost doesnt matter when comes to the rules it seems like.

The fluff says a Swarmlord is to a Hive Tyrant that a Hive Tyrant is to a termagant.
Going by that... the Swarmlors stats would be 2-3 times than a Hive Tyrant lol :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:40 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Little know fact that Swarmlords are like blue jeans, they shrink in the dryer.

We just gotta remember to let that sucker dry on the rack when he comes out of a birth pod instead of tossing him in the dryer. It's our own fault. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:10 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
tigerguy786 wrote:
Second, (in the little BRB anyway) on p49, it says: "...independent characters that have joined the unit must move before other friendly models in order to get into base contact with an enemy if at all possible..."

hey, this rule is stating that if a charge is declared, thats when an ic must move before the rest of the unit so that it can get into contact. this is not saying he must charge if possible. if this was the case, gs might as well just give ICs rage. and the reason it would be sooo good, is because you can take 3 squads of hive guard for the t6 then stick a zoanthrope in each squad to make it incredibly hard to get tothe zoanthrope to kill it by shooting. and even in assult, you would still have to deal with all those t6 wounds. it would just be soo good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:23 pm 
Gold Vault Member

I dunno, it looks clear there to me.

Is it the assault phase? Yes.
Is there an IC in the unit being charged? Yes.
The IC moves into BtB before the rest of his unit does.

I use it often to get my lictors to pike IC's and then try and Hit & Run away if they survive =)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:38 pm 
Bronze Vault Member

FotoGuy wrote:
I dunno, it looks clear there to me.

Is it the assault phase? Yes.
Is there an IC in the unit being charged? Yes.
The IC moves into BtB before the rest of his unit does.

I use it often to get my lictors to pike IC's and then try and Hit & Run away if they survive =)

This is my understanding of it as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:11 am 

wait are you saying, if the unit+ic is being charged, or if he is the one in charge range but does not want to charge? because if he is charged, he must be the first to move into btb, but if he is in charge range, he does not have to charge.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:19 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Anytime a unit, with an IC attached, is assaulted the IC must move into BtB before the rest of his unit moves. No hiding IC's in combat :-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:44 am 

ok yes that is correct. i thought you were saying that if a unit with an ic (in the ic assualt phase) is in range to assult, they mmust issue the assult.but anyway, your correct, although, for a unit ranging from afar (where all the ics would be that you dont want in combat, with a few acceptions)a zoan in a unit of say hive guard, they have a pretty good range, when you see a unit coming, you can spread the unit out, so that if the unit is charged, the zoan will be too far away to get into btb, ergo, not being attacked.