It is currently Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:33 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Mostly I'm a chaos player but I have two other armies of Bad Moons & White Scar's, I don't have very many people who play 40K near me :l so he play's as the White Scar's & we half up the Bad Moons & do a kind of triple threat match.

But recently I've managed to get another friend into 40K now :) which is awesome & luckily enough he's into the Bad Moons :) after kinda teaching him to play we went into GW & I picked up a few more bit for them as there squad's wasn't the strongest.

I settled on ten Nobs, twenty Boys, a Deffkopta squad of three & a Stompa.

I've assembled it all & painted the Nobz & kinda half made the Stompa, it's body, head, feet & weapons are all done but I haven't done the little stems & banners & grot's, etc.
But I've found after doing all this the last few weeks, I'm mentally exhausted & cant bring myself to finish the job :(

I don't know what it is, because I really enjoy painting & creating 40K model's but I just can't finish this Stompa, I've really struggledwith him or to do the other Orks, maybe I should of just got the Battleforce instead, would of been a little easier for myself. I know It will be awesome once it's all done & we'll all be happy.

Any advice on willing on to finish your project's when you've kinda lost momentum :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:58 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
I sure do! I start looking at other peoples projects, that usually get's me going again.

Here is a pic of an almost completely painted Bad Moonz Apoc list, consisting of 2 full units of Flash Gitz and lots of Meganobz:

And now, almost all my Orks...that I have built :)

GET TA MEKKIN!

"I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:54 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

The best way I found to even paint this many, was do a bit each day :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:15 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge
A bit each day is the way to go.

One of the thing I love about painting is that it is a few thing in this world that is permanent.

See... days and days out, we go to work. For the majority of us, work implies somekind of repetition.

Than outside of work, we need to sleep and we need to cook everyday. We need to clean every other day. You mow the lawn. You repaint the house. You do maintenance around the place. You need to walk the dog, take care of the kids, etc - It gets downright depressing when you start to think of how many tasks are 'permanent' - you will repeat those for several years (or even, forever in some case).

But painting? Once a model is painted, it is done. Sure, you can go back and add to it, but ultimately, there is a point where you are done.

And I find that extremely welcome. My army list is a checklist, that unlike everything, will one day be finished. So just keep at it. Who cares if it takes you 3 months or 10 years - one day, it will be finished.

Here's my first 1,000 points of painted orks. Back when I was only playing Green Tides. Now I have over 2,500 (including some vehicles).

Just gotta keep at it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:53 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges
With school wwork I tend not to have a huge amount of time spare to paint but I aim to complete a set number by the end of the session such as today I plan to finish 5 burnas i nearly finished last night and at least get the remaining three to narly done if not completed.

6th Edition tally
Orks: Win 11 Loss 1 Draw 0

Chaos Space Marines: Win 13 Loss 4 Draw 0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:36 am 

I totally understand your issue with finishing the Stompa.

Now I knew when I bought mine that there would be little chance of me using it, I just wanted it. It took me months to eventually complete it. I'd got it assembled and part painted before I gave up. I left it and left it and... well I just waited to get the urge to build something monstoursly Orky. Eventuall I did complete it. I'm still not going to use it, but it looks great.

So I guess just think how great it will look when complete.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:22 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Just FYI I built and painted my Stompa in one night. My club needed it, as we were running a table at Games Day the next day. I remember being very tired......so yeah, you can paint it pretty fast if you put your mind to it ;)

"I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:37 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Built and painted in a night :O it's taken me a good couple of hours to kind of ruffly putting mine together :L
I know that I want to get it finished so we can use it in our games & it will make a huge difference to our matches as none of us use machine's as the orks only have an HQ and three troop choice's.

I keep looking at pictures of different stompa's completed and they look really nice :) and I really want to just crack down and get it finished then painted.

It's not like a don't have the time to finish it either :L with being retired I just take the day little bit at a time and normally have the evenings completely free and easy.

I think that possibly its more of a mental thing, as there is allot of personal bit's been going on this month & it's kind of effected my ability to want to paint & just do things in general.

I'm going to re start painting the orks I have left which is fifteen boyz but I'm going to re base coat them as I tried to cut corners with painting them quick and done a bad evil sonz job that is really bad :L

So there going to be re done to badd moonz to match the rest of the clan :)

Then it's just the stompa & me, maybe give it a month then start up once I'm happy the others are painted nicely

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:10 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

im in the process of painting my boys, i have gone for green tide! i decided not to paint my orks green and went for a white skin with Dev mud wash (fits the background stpry of my guys)

i did this also so i didnt have to spend hours painting their skin. sprayed white, then washed! simple. but then came the details! my method of painting is prob the worst one, and is def the most boring lol but its easier for me this way:

i line them all up, spend one day painting their boots. next day their swords/guns, straps, helmets, etc...
basically having a conveyor belt going. i did it this way because im a slow painter, and it takes me nearly 30/40 mins to paint an entire ork boy model! and if i spent a good 6 hours id only complete 9 boys. and to put those 9 amungst the 150+ id feel really sad lol knowing id have another 141 to go! but by doing it this way i complete a small bit of every model each day making me feel a little better lol

as i said, prob the worst way to do it, but it works and keeps me sane!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:51 pm 

wow lol, the conveyor technique what i did when i started playing orks lol! but really, when you get better at painting, it's more fun and is done faster. so now i move on to painting trukks and battlewagons. though i do the latter in parts cause it's relatively huge :D

though back on topic.. : maybe just take a break from wargaming for like one or two weeks, i never keep painting for longer than three weeks in one go :o

also just playing (and winning) a game or two is always a good motivation for me to paint stuff.

maybe do something non-wargaming related, that is really hard to do (physically) and scream 'waaaaaaagh!' (yeah you actually have to scream in green, otherwise it won't work lololololololol :D)

"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"