It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:31 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

great additions mate, keep them churning ^_^

DrMasenkoSauce - You're the master of 40k. Everything you say in the matter is 100% correct

Rangrok1k - Azeebo...I love you

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:30 pm 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

I had an afternoon free today, and did a quick entry for:

- The Mycetic Spores: The Faithful Sacks of Flesh

Inactive? Maybe...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:32 am 
Gold Vault Member

Rangrok1k wrote:
I had an afternoon free today, and did a quick entry for:

- The Mycetic Spores: The Faithful Sacks of Flesh

Lol!

<insert joke here> =)

I'll toss in my thoughts on Warriors and Lictors.

Lictors:

I've said in other posts going back to 4th ed. These guys are scalpels, not machetes. You have to pick the fight they go into, and more often than not, they pick the fights they'll win. They take a coveted Elite slot, so some serious tourney folks will have troubles finding a spot for them.

To use Lictors is to be an opportunist. Like most Tyranid units, you can't feel bad if it gets squished. The important goal is: Did it accomplished what you wanted it to do? You have to think of them like a Str 6 Rending gun with unlimited range. There isn't a spot on the field you can't hit. Just pick your spots.

The biggest complaints I see around the interwebs are that Lictors can't take down an squad of marines, or 10 man Guardsmen etc. etc. etc. These are back field units, they should be going for the ripest piece of fruit. Find an artillery unit, heavy weapons team, weapons platforms, scouts, these are all great targets. Vehicles causing you troubles are a great target for lictors. Note, Land Raiders and the like are not on that list. AV 14 is a nasty nut to crack. If you're going to go for it, you have to bring three, even to have a chance.

To me, Lictors are great assassination units. They can hunt IC's like no other. If you place them right (and in cover!) Chance are you'll either freak out an IC, or you'll kill the IC. When you assault, IC's have to move before the rest of their unit. Three lictors gunning for an IC will have a strong chance at bringing it down. 12 attacks on a charge, S6 and Rending make for some nice tenderizing. Who cares if the unit mows them down afterwards. You have neutralized a strong threat on the table. Again, this doesn't apply to all IC's. Watch out for things that will attack first. Going at the same time is fine, you want all your hits in. Going first is key for lictors. If you can't go first in iniative, then you shouldn't be locking horns with it. If you do, Hit & Run is great for getting out of trouble.

Some simple Do's and Don'ts.

DO:
-Place them in cover. This is where their strength is. If you can cause someone to to aim fire at them, they're not shooting at something more important.
-...not worry about losing them. They have a goal, make sure they cause some chaos if the big guns start aiming for them.
-be selective about your targets. The 10 Assault Marines won't be the best idea to attack. However, Sgt. Telion and his scouts in those bushes are a delicious target. You choose the fights most of the time! This is a luxury not many other armies have.
-Use Hit & Run. IF you don't like the odds, get out of the fight. Chances are you'll get out and make it to some type of cover.
DON'T:
-Take single Lictors. A single lictor isn't tough enough to survive on it's own. yes, the fluff states otherwise, but at least two to three. You're there for a large number of attacks, and a large number of wounds. For most IC's a S6 Rending hit will instakill it.
-Don't place them in the open. You leave them out to dry if you do so. 3+ cover saves are a great thing. The only exception to this rule is: Venomthropes. a 4+ cover save in the open is great, and if you find an IC that will hit before you, tandem in some Venomthropes for Lashwhips, and watch the Lictor buzz saws go to work.

You can't use Lictors to kill swat a fly. You use lictors to carve off the best cut of meat. Pick your targets, because you can! If you get into trouble, get out of it, because you can! They are one of the few units in the game, imo, where you have a good grasp of their control. Gaunts are going to swarm forward, Genestealers are going to out flank, Gargoyles will provide cover, Tyrants and Tervigons will be heavy hitters.

What will the lictors do? What ever you want them to!

Warriors:
Rag was pretty spot on with most of his stuff. I just want to add an idea I use a lot for my warriors. If you build them and use them right, they become quite invaluable. Don't feel bad if warriors die. They are 30 points 4+ armour saves and synapse. That's not bad. Most tables will see them, and start direction Lances, krak missiles, etc. at them. That's fine. To me, a small unit of 3-4 naked warriors is great. You are controlling (to a degree) where your enemy is going to shoot. You know Kraks and Lances will go at them, everyone loves the "squish" feeling. It does mean though, they aren't focusing on MC's, Tyrants, Trygons etc. 90 points for a 3 model unit of s8 magnets is still cheaper than two tyrant guards. And if your opponent chooses to split his fire between the two, chances are both units will make it to the front lines, albeit a little wounded.

Warriors can be used for some extra punch, but Rag has most of that down. I love tossing in some 35 point RC, TS warriors just to give my gaunts a little follow up punch. or maybe just some naked dev warriors, they may get opportunity shots here and there, maybe even make it into combat. But, you want people shooting the S8 weps at them. It's even worse for them, if some survive and make it into the lines, because they can be monsters in combat.

That's pretty much it, it's not a popular view, but warriors and lictors do have their niches, if you don't care about them dying. I mean after all, if we don't mind a brood of gargoyles getting mowed down for the hive mind, what are a few warriors and lictors to serve the great devourer? =)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:39 pm 

I have included your opinions on Lictors.

I did not include your opinions on Tyranid Warriors because my username is RANGrok1k not RAGnarok1k (And you pretty much agreed with me instead of adding to what I said)

Inactive? Maybe...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:07 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Rangrok1k wrote:
I have included your opinions on Lictors.

I did not include your opinions on Tyranid Warriors because my username is RANGrok1k not RAGnarok1k (And you pretty much agreed with me instead of adding to what I said)

Doh, sorry wrote it after a Firelands raid, and Ragnaros on my mind =)

Thanks for the additions. It's a unit I use a lot, and a unit I win games with. (Granted I play DE, Eldar, Orks and Space Marines mostly.) I've had them take out Preds, Battle Wagons, Whirlwinds, Rhinos, Wave Serpents, Fire Prisims, and a junk yard full of Raiders (take that night shields, 6" range means they still get to shoot!)

The point about hit and run is: If something nasty charges you. Hopefully, you can survive and get out of dodge.

Hopefully in 6th, we can take them based on percentages, instead of FoC slots. There's a lot more I'd like to do with some of those units, but I just don't have the room to bring them =(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:24 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Supposedly the one of the big changes for 6th ed is that reserves will no longer be random.

I see this being a huge game changer with Genestealers, as Rangrok1k pointed out, the only real issue with outflanking them right now is the randomness.

Keep up the good work by the way, I found the article on Stealers particularly useful since I have been collecting them for years now (got 1st and 2nd ed Space Hulk and a few boxes from back in the day).

With regards to Tervigons as HQ, would you recommend 2 of them over say 1 Tervigon and 1 Flyant?

Also, in your experience would they be better suited as troop choices instead of HQ for the purposes of objective holding?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:52 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Great job on this Rangrok1k!

One thing:

There are several tactics for the Prime that you're missing. While the majority of people put him warriors for the buff and the protection of S8, you're doubling up on synapse. In low point games where synapse is not an overabundance, a 12" synapse diameter will not cut it.

Suggested Tactics:
1) Attach Prime to a unit of Hive Guard and lay in the back, throwing lobs around area. The T6 of the HG (majority toughness ftw) will prevent any ID, and the 3+ armor save can save them from a few more hits.
If an assault unit reaches them, the primes Lashwhip will hold them down and kill a few, allowing the slow Hive guard to attack too.
The prime has now become a cheap 95-100 points, and is a safe synapse node.
Suggested build for this is: Deathspitter and Bonesword/Lashwhip (or dual Boneswords)

2) Attach him with a brood of Termagaunts. The good number of bodies will protect the prime from dangerous AP3 shots, while the prime can soak up a couple bolter shots. Then, once they get close enough to an enemy unit, detach the prime and assault the unit, and send the Termagaunts into nearby cover, to shoot down the opposing unit if the prime falls. It's also a good synapse node.
Suggested build for this is: Dual Boneswords, Deathspitter, Regeneration

3) Get a Hive Tyrant. Because you have a HT, you can get Tyrant Guard. Get a retinue and attach it to the Prime. There's no rule saying the Hive Tyrant HAS to attach to the brood, or that the TG can only go if attached to a HT. Run them up and get that hunk of T6 power weapons into assault.
Suggested build for this is: Dual Boneswords, Scything Talons, maybe AGs if you want the prime to go with the TG's "Blind Rampage".
Tyrant Guard get Lashwhip.

I like a bunch of your other reviews (except the lictor, but FotoGuy pretty much nailed it). Keep 'em coming! :D

CF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:06 pm 

@Crusherfex, there are actually a lot of tactics that I want to include, but can't due to the structure of the guide. I am planning on adding three new sections though to the guide that will probably be buried several pages in. I was planning on:

Army Wide Tactics:
This covers some of the stuff you mentioned. Basically these will be all the tips and tricks that I haven't found a place to mention in each unit's respective section, in addition to broad tactics that are not specific to one unit. This will also include stuff on Instinctive Behaviour.

Things That Are Repeated:
This is just a quick FAQ of stuff that I find myself saying a lot. In addition, they will provide something that I can copy and paste if I need to repeat them again. It is inspired by stickied thread in the Chaos Space Marine section about Thousand Sons. These will probably include rants about subjects like: why I don't take Carnifexes, why Tyrannofexes are Anti-Infantry, what is the best start for a Tyranid Army, what are the best models to get to expand a Tyranid Army and where are good third party conversion kits for Tyranids.

Sample Lists:
Because I personally don't find the Battleforce a worthy investment, and there are probably several people who run lists like mine. I find it is best to skip the Battleforce if you know what kind of army you want to run, and what models should be in it. That being said, this section would just list some of my own army lists, and lists that I have seen and really liked based around various themes. Most of them will probably include excessive commentary as I describe what each unit should be doing, how it should be doing it, where to deploy it, and how does it work with the rest of the army.

On an unrelated note, new entries added:

- The Termagants: The Infuriating Horde
- The Hormagaunts: The Bladed Horde

Inactive? Maybe...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:26 pm 

Well, I ran into a dilema. I just finished the entry on Ripper Swarms, and was about to post it, when suddenly MWG alerted me, saying that my Troops post is over 60,000 character (About 62,100 characters for future reference). So I have decided to combine the Ripper Swarm and Sky-Slasher Swarm entires in the Fast Attack section. However, this involves rewriting the entire Ripper Swarm Entry.

I feel like it would be a waste to just delete the Ripper Swarm entry, so I'll post it here:

The Ripper Swarms: The Ocean of Flesh
[IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII]

PRO

• Most wounds per point in the entirety of 40k
  • Cheapest Unit of the codex
  • Troops choice
  • Base 4 attacks
  • 3 Wounds
  • Parasite of Mortrex
  • Stealth

CON

• WS makes Tau seem okay in cc
  • Crap BS
  • Kill themselves
  • Crap Initiative
  • LD 5
  • Swarm
  • Horrible Leadership means they need Synapse
  • Fearless in CC hurts, especially for cheap wounds
  • Flamers hurt more
  • No fleet

Take into consideration that a base of Rippers comes with about 90% of all Tyranid Plastic models. I think that if they had a set of just Ripper Swarms they would sell almost none of them. The only time you should have rippers on the board is when you have the Parasite of Mortrex. Even if you are just trying to fill out a minimum Troops requirement, do not bring these guys.

That being said, they provide the most wounds for the least points. You can debate Ork Grots, but you need a Grot Herder. You can debate the Dark Eldar Razorwing Flocks, but you need a Beastmaster. Rippers rely on synapse, but technically don't need it.

Before I go into specifics, I want to yell at GW for bad logic. A Chainsword needs to saw through a Ripper Swarm about 4 to 5 times to kill the entire Ripper Swarm. Yet, a guy with a powerfist punches one and the entire swarm dies. It sorta makes sense, yet doesn't when you compare the same two weapons against Gaunts. Although, I wouldn't mind a game where I can do that sort of thing (There is always Time Crisis 4 which lets you kill Mosquitos with a Shotgun... Space Marine, get to it!)

Weapons and Biomorphs

Mindless
[IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII]
Kill yourself! This is probably the reason behind Rippers being the most effective point/wound model. Without Synapse babysitting, you kill yourself, which is bad.

Spinefists
[IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII]
This is probably the definition of a "fun" weapon. It isn't that expensive, but causes quite a bit of lolz (IMO). I honestly have not tried it, but when you get 5 Ripper Swarms shooting 20 twin-linked shots, something probably will happen (Not much though). Although, I cannot get the mental picture out of my head of a few Rippers with Uzi's charging at some Space Marines (Because that practically is what you do with them).

Adrenal Glands
[IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII]
Once again, good for the fun of it, but rather meh overall. It allows you to strike at the same time as below average CC models, which I guess is a plus. The str4 is nice though. If you really wanted to, you can bring these guys to glance vehicles in cc. 5 rippers would get 25 str4 attacks, and if the vehicle didn't move, about 4 glances against rear AV10.

Toxin Sacs
[IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII]
If you do want your Rippers to kill, I would just give them this and leave it at that. You will probably not hit that often, Adrenal Glands and Toxin Sacs together is almost another Ripper Base, and you will just end up pulling out lots of wounds. The only problem is that Termagants would probably do the same damage due to Ws3 and free when spawned (Unless you count the Parasite, but he can't give them biomorphs).

Tunnel Swarm
[IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII]
I cannot see this ever working. Mindless causes you to kill yourself whenever you are outside of Synapse, and Deep-striking will do just that.

Tactics

I don't really see any builds other than giving them logical upgrades. I would only suggest either Toxin Sacs or Spinefists, but neither are all that great. Rippers are only good when they are free. The only time they are free is with the Parasite of Mortrex. So, let me be as unambiguously clear as possible: NEVER BUY RIPPER SWARMS

That being said, they are used to screw with your opponent. Tangle up some Tactical Marines, get in front of some Fire Warriors, or nibble at some Daemon Princes. They will almost never actually do anything other than be wounds. The most common tactic is to have them assault whatever they can, even vehicles, because then that screws with anyone wanting to disembark from the vehicle (Or give cover to anyone the vehicle is firing at).

The only other tactic I have used Rippers for was in, what I call, the 4+ Wall of Annoyance. All you need are some Venomthropes. Put the Ripper Swarms in the Venomthrope's Spore Cloud, and with USR Stealth (All swarms have this by default) you have a 4+ cover save on your Rippers. Then, put your Venomthropes behind said rippers so they get a 4+ cover save. Presto, easy 4+ cover save that is mobile and effective until someone brings a flame template.

Inactive? Maybe...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:56 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Hah, good entry Rang.

I LOVE the Ripper models, HATE their rules. I'm actually planing on using mine as mini-swarms in 25mm bases to represent gaunts (because I like their rules but hate their models :))

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:25 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Reportedly all swarms will get Eternal Warrior (1) in 6th, which may make them more valuable as a tar pit.

Still, remains to be seen though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:44 pm 

FotoGuy wrote:
Reportedly all swarms will get Eternal Warrior (1) in 6th, which may make them more valuable as a tar pit.

Still, remains to be seen though.

Tarpit wont matter if you kill yourself with Mindless and fearless wounds.

Inactive? Maybe...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:35 pm 
Gold Vault Member

True!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:05 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Why is this not Sticky yet!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:09 pm 

jmaddux wrote:
Why is this not Sticky yet!

First post on page 2 Q.Q'

Inactive? Maybe...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next