It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:24 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges
Finish it up and this will make a fine sticky. These are the kinds of tacticas that seem most useful, at least to me.

Even if they always are slightly opinionated, and generally feature things that work best in the writer's local metagame, they were much more helpful for me as a new player than any of the hodge-podge threads like the other tactics thread in this very section.

Bought: [----[+]---------------] 448/1750
Assembled: [--[+]-----------------] 232/1750
Painted: [+]-------------------] 0/1750

Click for videos of Tyranids and Terrain! (Coming Soon)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:05 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Entries added:

- The Hive Guard: The Stalwart Sentinel
- The Lictor: The Assassin of the Swarm

More to come!

Inactive? Maybe...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:21 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

fine cast hive guard goes together like that *snaps fingers*

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:23 am 

Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challengeParticipated in King of the Hill
I love hive guard but I don't think they ignore cover, only don't need line of sight. If there is a FAQ or ruling somewhere to the contrary could a link be posted.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:02 am 

edsgotjive wrote:
I love hive guard but I don't think they ignore cover, only don't need line of sight. If there is a FAQ or ruling somewhere to the contrary could a link be posted.

Ah, I see where the confusion is. You can only claim a cover save against a Hive Guard if you are actually TOUCHING the cover. It doesn't ignore it flat out, but it ignores a lot of it.

Inactive? Maybe...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:02 am 

Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challengeParticipated in King of the Hill
Read the codex, cleared right up. Thanks. I don't get to play much...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:08 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Nice stuff. Must of taken ages to write. =)

EmoAngels

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:17 am 

Entries added:

- Deathleaper: The Terror Embodied
- The Venomthrope: The Toxic Plague

Inactive? Maybe...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:05 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

For the venomthropes, the biggest pro is synergy with other units. If you keep them near warriors, the lashwhips on the Thropes means Rending Claw or Dual Bonesword warriors can really go to town.

Also, 5+ isn't that great, it's helpful, but still not enough. However, 5+ cover save with FnP from a tervigon saves a lot of gaunts/warriors what have you.

A full brood of Venomthropes has the most flexibility of the Codex, and it can easily adapt to which ever style you play.

Eg. I run Pyrovores and Venomthropes next to each other, and then try and get them to assault. Because the Lashwhips on the Venoms make the Pyros Acid blood very keen =)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:45 am 

FotoGuy wrote:
For the venomthropes, the biggest pro is synergy with other units. If you keep them near warriors, the lashwhips on the Thropes means Rending Claw or Dual Bonesword warriors can really go to town.

Also, 5+ isn't that great, it's helpful, but still not enough. However, 5+ cover save with FnP from a tervigon saves a lot of gaunts/warriors what have you.

A full brood of Venomthropes has the most flexibility of the Codex, and it can easily adapt to which ever style you play.

Eg. I run Pyrovores and Venomthropes next to each other, and then try and get them to assault. Because the Lashwhips on the Venoms make the Pyros Acid blood very keen =)

The problem with the Pyrovore and Venomthrope combo is that it is taking up two Elites slots. One of my elites is ALWAYS Hive Guards, and when it is 1500 pts or more, the second is Zoanthropes. In addition, it is expensive, ranging from about 200 to 300 points. I would much rather get a Hive Tyrant for that, which is guaranteed to do far more damage.

Although I didn't think of the FNP and the 5+ cover save. *pulls out calculator*... That is the equivalent of Space Marine Armor, minus the weakness to ap3. However, personally, I prefer to get 11 Termagants instead and get a 4+ intervening Cover Save, on top of a FNP save, which is better than a 3+ save.

Another problem I see is that they need to charge you for them to get initiative 1 and they cannot be using Assault Grenades. Outside of Tyranids, there are not many assault oriented units that do not have Assault Grenades.

I will edit the entry though.

Inactive? Maybe...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:50 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

/agreed!

I wasn't trying to say which tactic was better. I was trying to point out that Venomthropes are a utility that can fill a lot of niches depending what you play.

Some of the examples aren't great, but they do fill out the roles =)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:56 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

I really want the Lash Whip and Acid Blood combo to work but i dont think it does. I asked the people that work at my local GW store and they said it does not. YET the rules say in the codex say
Quote:
Any enemy model that is in base contact with a Tyranid with one or more lash whips counts their initive value as 1 until the end of the Assault phase, regardless of their actual initive value.

It does not mention initive tests, it also says the the model in base contact is initive 1, not it strickes at initive 1. But initive tests are made by the models base UN-MODIFIED initive. yea.... good job =).

EmoAngels

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:41 am 

EmoAngels wrote:
I really want the Lash Whip and Acid Blood combo to work but i dont think it does. I asked the people that work at my local GW store and they said it does not. YET the rules say in the codex say
Quote:
Any enemy model that is in base contact with a Tyranid with one or more lash whips counts their initive value as 1 until the end of the Assault phase, regardless of their actual initive value.

It does not mention initive tests, it also says the the model in base contact is initive 1, not it strickes at initive 1. But initive tests are made by the models base UN-MODIFIED initive. yea.... good job =).

EmoAngels

Actually, read the rulebook. The Rulebook on page 8 *I think* specifically mentions modifiers that can adjust a characteristic value for a Characteristic Test. Here is the quote:
Quote:
In order to take the test, roll a D6. To succeed, you must score equal to or lower than the value of the characteristic involved. Note that if a 6 is rolled, then the model automatically fails the test regardless of the characteristic's value or any other modifiers that might apply, and conversely a 1 is always a success.

In addition, the FAQ says that Acid blood is tested at the end of the initiative set up (aka, Initiative 0) while the codex says Lash Whips last until the end of the Assault Phase.

Yes, I have investigated into this a lot. A LOT. I have ensured that it works.

Inactive? Maybe...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:05 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Okay cool didn't see that.

EmoAngels

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:27 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I see some hatred against the Eldar here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next