It is currently Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Nobody likes to play me
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:32 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

so this is my first time posting and i have a friend on here that posts regularly and i play often. i would consider him a skilled player with a good understanding of the game/rules, and i find him the most challenging to play against as he will always find ways of testing me.

so to the point even he does not want to play Eldar anymore quite frankly he has had enough and my other warhammer enthusiast friends are even less inclined to play me (that's not a dig saying they suck or anything)

basically as an Eldar player and baring in mind i went through the rather difficult process of having to learnn to play with eldar, i love playing Eldar and love the stories and fluff behind them....... I'm just convinced that they may be too good and possibly unbeatable by the right player.

are they as my buddy says a Swiss army knife with no down falls capable of dealing with anything and never to be beaten, or are people finding it different and its just my buddies

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:37 pm 
Bronze Vault Member

A lot of people think Eldar are the #1 army, I would agree with that and my friends have gotten frustrated when I play them super competitively as well. I don't think they are really OP though, I think they are just a bit above the other armies but they can still give you a real challenge and win if used right against Eldar.

What I do now is maybe take 50-75% of my army as competitive and the rest just for fun and try out random crap. It lets you try new things and gives your friends a break from some of the powerhouse Eldar units.

Vanilla Marines 6000

In that order!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:42 pm 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
see, I have a friend who plays Eldar, I don't have a problem kicking his butt, although I am a much more experienced player than him. Although he's quite capable of kicking everyone else's butt's he has trouble beating me, there was a phase it was just me and him and we got so fed up of playing each other all the time now that we haven't had a game between us two in weeks. We tried playing other games instead, but anywho.

Just tell them to man up, it could be worse

Sniperfex, ruining people's hopes and dreams since 1993

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:00 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

i think my problem may stem from the fact that I'm a very competitive player but I've beaten space marines inc grey knights, blood angels, space wolves, dark angels and any combo of imperial amour gear they can throw at me, necrons, dark Eldar tyrinids and imperial guard new and old codex

i personally think space marines are boring and don't know why anyone would play them.

but should i just accept that Im never gonna play a game and not get that look of hate from my buddies who say there is no way to beat me. is there a way to beat me can we loose or are Eldar really that Swiss army knife that my friend says they are

i don't think space marines are the way to go when it comes to beating Eldar however or am i unfair to the adeptus astartes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:30 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Necrons are pretty strong against Eldar. Annihilation barges are amazingly difficult to kill and they don't care about jinking because they get MORE hits on average from snap shotting. Tau are about on par, maybe a bit weaker overall. Broadsides with high yield missile pods and a buffmander pose a massive threat to wave serpents, wraithknights, and well... pretty much everything in the eldar army.

All in all though, it's important to note that playing warhammer with your friends is just that. Playing with friends. If you want to play hyper competitive lists then you should enter tournaments or post notices that you're looking for some tough opponents at your FLGS. If you want to play your friends then just bring more casual, fun lists. I find that my friends won't play me unless I limit myself to 1-2 serpents and one wraithknight. They don't seem to mind anything else though, even war walkers.
I'm sorry to say that I think you need to let your competitive nature go a little bit and just enjoy some silly games. Perhaps try some custom missions? Restricted units, Themed lists, or random battlefield events to try and even things out a bit? Whatever you decide to do, I hope you can find a way to play with your friends that makes for a good time for everyone!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:31 pm 
Bronze Vault Member

As I said earlier, you can try all kinds of new things which will be fun for you. You shouldn't have to win all the time to have fun!

I also don't understand marines, they are the only army I don't like in all of 40k!

Vanilla Marines 6000

In that order!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:10 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

You want a fun army? try play eldar footslog all way, Avatar of Khaine leading, 1 farseer and try to manage yourself with the units you got, use usnits you dont use much, its a bigger challenge for yourself for sure and alot more enjoyable for your friends 2.

For example for me as an option I hardly take more than 1/2 wave serpents up to 1500pts game.
I do use some units around that and I think a list I got at 1000pts sounds a bit like this.

farseer
7 dire avengers with exarch shimmershield on wave serpent with cannon, scatter laser and holo fields
10 guardians with scatter laser
5 rangers
5 warp spiders with exarch fast shoot and t-link
1 Fire prism with holo fields

and thats it, if I was powergamer to play competitive I would had played a bit diferently.

try 1500pts with fun stuff really :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:54 am 

loghead1607 wrote:
i personally think space marines are boring and don't know why anyone would play them.

here here...

i stopped playing CSM, cos Eldar were SOO different. My friends play BA & Space Wolves, but the regular SM...who want´s to play grey, when you can have colors :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:03 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I've stopped playing my space marines due to absolute boredom. Eldar and Tyranids are waaaay more fun. I'm loving eldar at the moment and just find new people to play with and it's a bit unfair if they point blank refuse to play any eldar list.

3500 points of Eldar

Fantasy
2000 points Dwarfs
4000 points Warriors of Chaos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:12 am 
Silver Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Eldar is just a little too point and click for my liking. Some of the points need to be adjusted.

Marines on the other hand can be a lot of fun; people just need to try different lists and not stick to the standard 'good' models out there. The last three games I played with my dark angels was a deathwing assult, a greenwing mechanized force, and the third was a ravenwing gun line.

I did not win a single game Vs a really mean guard list but all of the games were all really fun to play. There is enough variety in marines to change up pthe play style in each list and have a lot of fun with the tools you have.

That being said; tyranids are awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:07 pm 
Bronze Vault Member

Nexus_Crawler wrote:
Eldar is just a little too point and click for my liking. Some of the points need to be adjusted.

Marines on the other hand can be a lot of fun; people just need to try different lists and not stick to the standard 'good' models out there. The last three games I played with my dark angels was a deathwing assult, a greenwing mechanized force, and the third was a ravenwing gun line.

I did not win a single game Vs a really mean guard list but all of the games were all really fun to play. There is enough variety in marines to change up pthe play style in each list and have a lot of fun with the tools you have.

That being said; tyranids are awesome.

Yeah, when I do play my marines I use them as Dark Angels and either go raven wing or deathwing just to be different.

Vanilla Marines 6000

In that order!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:28 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Still be competitive in that you want to win, but draw up lists that make it hard for you to win and you will get more satisfaction in winning those games.

As mentioned restrict your Wave Serpent Spam or take none. Don't take any Wraithguards or Wraithknights.

Proxy in units you don't have or use. Go with Storm Guardians, Autarch's, Howling Banshees and Shining Spears in a list as a lot of people have never seen these on the board. It will be more of a challenge for you and your opponents will enjoy beating you and will play again.

Super competitive players can only play against other super competitive players for a long period of time. Eventually the more casual gamer will want to have chilled games with other casual gamers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:20 am 
Silver Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
loghead1607 wrote:
i think my problem may stem from the fact that I'm a very competitive player but I've beaten space marines inc grey knights, blood angels, space wolves, dark angels and any combo of imperial amour gear they can throw at me, necrons, dark Eldar tyrinids and imperial guard new and old codex

but should i just accept that Im never gonna play a game and not get that look of hate from my buddies who say there is no way to beat me. is there a way to beat me can we loose or are Eldar really that Swiss army knife that my friend says they are

I dont want to offend - but the tone of this post sounds a little elitist. you are just learning the army and yet you can list off all of the armies that you have beaten? and then the title is how nobody wants to play you...

I have a friend at my local club who plays a super powerful eldar list and he has had to tone things down because the casual gamers were being alienated by the repeated face-stompings. What make a really good player is the ability to win without spam list-building and with any army.

Winning should be about tactics... but the game itself needs to be about having fun with your friends, not beating your friends.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:02 am 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Nexus_Crawler wrote:
loghead1607 wrote:

I dont want to offend - but the tone of this post sounds a little elitist. you are just learning the army and yet you can list off all of the armies that you have beaten? and then the title is how nobody wants to play you...

I have a friend at my local club who plays a super powerful eldar list and he has had to tone things down because the casual gamers were being alienated by the repeated face-stompings. What make a really good player is the ability to win without spam list-building and with any army.

Winning should be about tactics... but the game itself needs to be about having fun with your friends, not beating your friends.

Wisdom. I had to do something similar with my Magic playgroup. I used to stomp them bad in multiplayer games until they asked me to tone it down; they weren't having fun playing the game anymore. Now I build themed decks, and while they are still quite good, they aren't the murder machines my old decks were, and I'm enjoying the game more thanks to the new challchallenges challenges of winning with inferior cards.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:06 am 

I´m hearing complaints about the Wave Serpent and the Wraithknight in our FLGC too...BUT...it´s not like the Eldar has a codex FILLED with awesome units...my friend plays BA and his lists ALWAYS has :

- Jump troops
- Priests
- Mephiston
- Dreds...
- Stormraven/s

and i dont complain, altough it gets a bit boring sometimes. The point was, i dont spam the WS´s, cos i just don´t like spamming and i change the list a lot, just to play units i seldom do. But if he changed the list and got fe. Tactical squads, Predators, Rhinos, Vindicator i would wipe the floor with him. He brings out the best list he is able to build. In my mind, this gives me the same right, so if i wanted to spam, i would spam so hard :). I think the maximum WS´s i have used was three in a 2500p game...Only army i considered not to play against (about a year, two ago) were the Necrons...