Should there be New Army?

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...

Codex: Mercenaries?

Yes
31%
No
30%
Give Joe a dollar!
38%

Total votes: 86

Crusherfex
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Should there be New Army?

Post by Crusherfex » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:50 pm

WARNING: This is mainly wishlisting.

It would be cool to have a Codex: Mercenaries. Mercenaries are pretty big in the 41st millennium. Many minor races have become mercenaries, and with the new allies rules it can really open the doorway for this codex. A lot of smaller races can join the game, and it gives a new army to the game.

Should there be a new army for 6th? What do you think it might be?

Sniperfex
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Re: Should there be New Army?

Post by Sniperfex » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:55 pm

squats! no wait.. they've been done before

but yes mercs would be nice... kroot! kroot everywhere!
"Do you really want to waste your time
Wake up and live your life
I want to be your chemical ride"

Sniperfex, ruining people's hopes and dreams since 1993

BewareOfTom
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by BewareOfTom » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:05 pm

well from what I hear their bringing in white dwarf "ally only" codicies, so maybe kroot mercs to go along with the tau dex, some allies for them niddies, and maybe some mercs? (I only heard rumors for first 2, 3rd is a little wishing aswell :P)
I have half a mind to kill you, and the other half agrees

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

Devedor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Devedor » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Fishmen?

But seriousley, I would like to see more Xenos armies, as there is WAAAYYYY too much power armor on the field as is.

Fantasy has a few more armies than 40k, even before the undead to VC/TC split, so why not add a few more!
Never knows best

My Plog! http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 30&t=74994

Epic Duck Mike: Tausept Ochre and Iyanden Darksun are like cheatcodes for Yellow.
Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start Select Tausept Ochre

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:31 pm

Why add a "Give Joe a Dollar" option? You know that is the only correct answer. There shouldn't even be a poll.

I think it would be a good idea, make it a blend of Eldar, Imperial Guard, and Tau traits.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

gitsmasher
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by gitsmasher » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:43 pm

For the love of GOD we dont need anymore armies. Its bad enough that GW lets current codices become hopelessly outdated, and all a new army would do increase the time before an update.

And what function would a new army serve?
Tau 2000 pts
Space marines (Meowcenaries chapter) 500 pts.

Donteatrawhagis
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Donteatrawhagis » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:48 pm

I remember an interview when 6th came out asking if any army role that hasn't been done yet. The response from two of the lead developers was ~"We don't think so. Maybe...blah blah..., but we don't think it would add anything to the game."

I can't remember off hand.
Writer/Programmer

MFletch
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by MFletch » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:04 pm

No more armies, please.

Sisters of battle, BT and Dark Eldar there was allowance in the fluff for them already.
Then the next newest additions of necrons and Tau, were ok they found a way to make room in the universe for them.

Tau, developed quickly and away from human kind they learnt to live in peace, which is cute and vaguely satirical.
Necrons came from nowhere and no one knows about them. Forget about Ward's rewriting the universe in their fluff, we are talking introducing an army needs to be in the universe already.
The point being most this is why you haven't heard of them, has happened.

I can not think of too many armies that already exist that are not better suited for Imperial armour books as they are extensions of what has come before.

Look up Dogs of War for WHFB, they died. Mercenaries would not really work.
Rogue traders doesn't make so much sense for an army, but it would be nice to introduce a skirmish game, I guess necromunda and gorkamorka covers this.

Personally I think the obvious three armies which were in the game before are genestealer Hybrid army, cultists and squats. However, there is little room to find a niche for them.

To start the rumours flowing squats are now back in the universe :) , why did they do this?
Well before the designers went on record to say they didn't know what to do with them, they could do 40k biker armies and for 40k epic they could do great warmachines but this wasn't enough for them to base a codex around. Struggling to write a codex they though for the best to write them out of existence hinting that 'nids eat them.
Now apocalypse has somehow become 40k Epic, so it would make sense to bring them back.

GarDakka
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by GarDakka » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:07 pm

I think a Codex: Mercenaries would be good if it were a Codex that could basically be used for any ofther army, either to fill their regular slots or ar Allies to anyone.
Apologies if I talk positively about games that I enjoy.

Micky
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Micky » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Well there are all those rumours swirling around about a Codex: Allies coming out sometime. I can definately see a lot of these being mercenary squads that can plug into other armies. And that leaked release list showed a bunch of stuff along the lines of "unit + character" - so there's your 1 troop and 1 hq right there, maybe?

sonofkitrinos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by sonofkitrinos » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:35 pm

There is a lot of room for new races visually, yes, however, from a gameplay point of view you have to consider the combat niches of the races that are in existance.

You have swarms, elitist, shooty, fast moving guerilla warfare....all the combat rolls have been covered and, in some cases, done to death.

The only way to bring in the other alien races, IMO, is through the inclusion of the Ally system - which very well could be in the pipeline, who knows? This way you can do essentially whatever you want without having to build another army with some other combat niche. You want biker dwarves? Sure, we will make them a fast attack choice with some crazy special rules. This is the only way for it to work.

Sure, a full on squats army would be awesome...but...what roll would they fill? gunline - we have the guard. Fast attacking - dark eldar/tau. How about an elitist style army, like marines/grey knights, that plays more like a speed freaks army - cool concept but a rather forced idea.

No. The only way to make it work now is to have an ally book with a list of all the cool (read: crazy) ideas and races that never went further than one or two accepted units.
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrHghowell?feature=mhee
Commissions : http://www.hghowel8.wix.com/amethysthobbies
Interested in commission work? Fire me a pm!

gitsmasher
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by gitsmasher » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:37 pm

Micky wrote:Well there are all those rumours swirling around about

When the rumors start flying its time to duck and cover.
Tau 2000 pts
Space marines (Meowcenaries chapter) 500 pts.

BunkhouseBuster

Post by BunkhouseBuster » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:21 am

Meh, I would be happy with the current set up as it is. New Codices of new factions/races? We're good for that right now. Mercenaries or other Allies-based expansions? Yes, please! I'm happy with the way things are right now, although a Codex: Blood Ravens might be cool.
My Wargaming Collections
Space Wolves and Space Marines
Lizardmen
Astra Militarum
Khador