It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:18 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Location: Dining in the void of immaterial with Charlie Chaplin.
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
I FINALLY got comfortable with 5th edition, in my safe zone ya know? Took me a while but i finally got it. I was so excited for 6th edition, then it finally came out. Looking through the codex. I am overwhelmed. Where do i start? How can i possibly remember all this D:

Blood Angels-1700 points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:35 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Possibly try a 500 point game, give yourself plenty of time, take it slowly. I'm having my 1st 6th edition game on Sunday, we are going to go all out with a 2000 point game, but basically give ourselves the entire afternoon. Just find the similarities, possibly write them out, then when you get to something that isn't similar consult the rulebook. It should be fine, play with a buddy, and hey you are both learning so no one will get mad at the other for not knowing the rules. Best of luck.

"Wandalf, I like you. You can stay" - Iggy

"Hufflepuffs are excellent finders."
SO. MUCH. WIN!!!!! I LOVE YOU FOREVER FOR THAT! XD - Clabbage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:56 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Practice, memorization, and experience. The best way to learn the game is to play, and try out the new things to get comfortable with them. If your army has some different special rules that you aren't familiar with, take them and learn the rules so you know what they are if someone else uses them against you.

It took me a year and a half to get 5th ed. down, and I am still learning things about it. Just keep in mind that the game plays the same, and everyone is learning all the new stuff. Don't panic, and have fun.

Warriors of Chaos - tally coming soon!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:00 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Thanks guys! I'll do my best :D too bad the only guy I'd play with...is less experienced than me DX

Blood Angels-1700 points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:24 pm 

Read the book multiple time before playing that always helps me then after playing read it again use new things proxy stuff you don't have then after playing a few more times read it again lol you will get things wrong sometimes the things you get wrong will make or break a game but just keep trying and remeber if you have any questions all of us on here are ready and willing to help and who knows your question might be one other people have but are afraid to ask or it might help someone who has been playing wrong and didn't know

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:42 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
The book is laid out so nice, just read the 1st 50ish pages, after that go back and read basically the rules that will able to you.

Play a couple games with the book out in front of you, take units that will use the new rules so you get practice.. dont take units for rules that have not change much.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:55 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

I have to admit the new codex feels alot better in terms of rule layout. Best part is to make a small list at say 500 points. Read up rules applicable to those units. How the shooting and assault phase works, any special rules etc. And work from there. Works for me at least.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:32 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Me and two friends all picked up our books together and just spent the afternoon at my place reading and talking about the rules. It really helped us the next day when we played.
But yeah read read read, and look for rules that are dissimilar to that of 5th.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:38 am 

Is it just me, or did wound allocation change? I am not sure if i just don't know the rules. But everything seems to have been slightly tweaked... that is why i hesitate to use rules from 5th edition, not quite sure if they all transfer over.

Blood Angels-1700 points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:41 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Just go at it, start the game and don't look back, its the best way to learn

"Wandalf, I like you. You can stay" - Iggy

"Hufflepuffs are excellent finders."
SO. MUCH. WIN!!!!! I LOVE YOU FOREVER FOR THAT! XD - Clabbage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:23 am 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

DaOrkyBitz wrote:
Is it just me, or did wound allocation change? I am not sure if i just don't know the rules. But everything seems to have been slightly tweaked... that is why i hesitate to use rules from 5th edition, not quite sure if they all transfer over.
Wound allocation is a major change, really. Really it is just as complicated but should be slightly fairer.

Actually I think 5th edition was really stream lined. This edition does have more rolls and more mechanics.

The lay out of the rulebook should make it easier to find things, I haven't spotted any interesting placing of random important rules just yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:23 pm 

That should help. I have started reading. I am at like...page 20...and i have had to re-read the same sentence about 3 times to full grasp it XD But i think with the batreps coming out should REALLY help. Seeing someone else do all the steps helps for sure.

Blood Angels-1700 points