It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:07 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

I'm not sure if this topic has been created, but all the same..
I recently walked away from my local GW after a crushing defeat, and althought I try not to let games get too much, I was spanked, and so I thought, what better way to cheer me up then knowing another peoples disastrous games, whether it be from a bad opponent, or from nothing in an entire game going your way. I want to hear your stories and hopefully share a few laughs. God bless you schadenfreude.

My story involves me playing my first 1500 game. I was playing Grey Knights against Blood Angels who was going a heavily mechanised list.

From what I can remember it was 10x Grey Knight Terminators, 10x Strike Squad, 2x Dreadnaughts with two twin-linked autocannons with psybolt, grand master, vindicare assassin and a razorback with an assault cannon with psybolt, versus (this is only what I can recall), a stormraven, two blood angels dreadnaughts, one of them a furioso and both with two pairs of blood talons. Several predators with lascannons or big flamers, a drop pod, and an squad of death company assault troops with I THINK the Sanguinor as HQ

The game starts out like I hope with me winning initiative in a kill point game and set myself up in a tasty firing position. When I'm all set and my opponent deploys, thats when things go wrong. By stealing the initiative things fall apart as first of all his drop pod containing a dreadnaught lands perfectly behind my ranks, and a stormraven flying 36" inches to drop off another one, both within 5" of my troops. His predators move up and blow up a dreadnaught and ripping a weapon off the other, the resulting explosion killing THREE terminators and two strike squad with the baal predator killing two more strike squad. Their stormraven then takes off a wound off my assassin who doesn't get cover from his position behind him and one of the dreadnaughts being dropped from the stormraven charges into my terminators killing five in a round of combat without me being able to do anything back. It's finally my turn to shoot, but being surrounded by dreadnaughts, predators and stormravens, my barrage of assault cannon, psycannon, vindicate assassin sniper fire does nothing save for ripping one of the blood talons off the other unengaged dreadnaught.

In my first turn alone I lost a third of my army. I'll spare you the rest of the details, but by the end of his third turn of shooting, in which his infantry finally arrived, I had a grand master with one wound left, a hammer-nador, and a fleeing single strike squad and all I had killed was a single dreadnaught.

So, now that I've shared mine I'm eager to hear some other peoples bad battles.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:36 pm 
Silver Vault Member

This is kind of backwards as I was on the winning side of this story but the opponent was a really good friend of mine and it went absolutely HORRIBLY for him! Suffice it to say that in the end, he was tabled and I had not lost A SINGLE MODEL! oh did i mention that it was turn 2? It was bad, I had one guardian squad (Eldar) that eradicated a full CSM squad in one shooting phase... I have never seen sooo many 1's and 2's for armor saves in my life....

It was bad, I have seen your pain and hope that I never feel it...

Khador: 25 points

Ogre Kingdoms: 2300 points

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:47 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

My first game ever was my worst. It wasn't anything spectacular, I just brought a bad army, and got tabled. It was extremely disheartening, but it also probably contributes to my victories today. It taught me the valuable lesson that no matter how good your armor saves are, your opponent will always have a power weapon (I was one of those people I now despise who started the game spamming terminators, thinking them invincible).

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:50 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

I was swiped off the board by tyranids, they out shot and assaulted my army for the whole game and I think
I only killed thirteen gaunts while opponent smashed all 1500 pts of my space marines...

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:38 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Old 'crons, against Blood Angels, got tabled in one turn.
Damn those tanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:10 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Went to my LGS one Sunday to play a friendly game like usual, and a new player had shown up that was known to some of my friends as he goes to our local GW as well. It's obvious that I play Tyranids at the time, but his army is still hidden in a case of his. I didn't think anything of it, so I ask him what point level he'd like to play at and he decided on 2k. I tell him I don't have a list ready, but I bump up a friendly 1500 list I have on the spot and start to pull out my models.

He then proceeds to pull out his army once he sees that I'm done making a list and I've gone over everything I put in it, revealing something like this.

Coteaz
Inquisitor
6 units of 5 Jokaero Weaponsmiths each in a Chimera
3 Dreadnoughts with 2 TL Autocannons and Psybolt Ammo
Possibly some other units, but it was mostly just a bunch of Chimeras.

My list must have been something like this.

Flyrant
Tervigon
Tervigon
2 units of 20 Gargoyles
2 units of Termagants
2 units of Hive Guard
A unit of 8 Genestealers
Zoanthropes in a Spore
2 Trygons

Nothing special, but it's safe to say where that fight was going. In the end, I had claimed a unit of Jokaero Weaponsmiths, a single Chimera, and one of the Dreadnoughts before getting tabled. With only a single piece of terrain in the center of the board and 30 lascannon/heavy flamers on the board, there was nothing I could do to pull that off.

High Elves - 5k

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:17 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

My worst game was my first tournament down at my LGS. I ended up fighting for the first time a Space Wolves player and he dragged along a bunch of Marines in Rhinos, Long Fangs, and Thunderwolf Cavalry.

He went first and in the first turn ended up neutralizing my 2 boom guns, wiping out my Shokk Attack gun and basically removing all of my Anti-armor. I took my first turn, moved forward and realized I forgot to put boarding planks on my vehicles. So now I came with a tough choice, do I bail out to try to cause some damage or do I stay inside and hide? I bailed out….after that point the game went even worse.

Let me just say, after that point I was playing a game of hold out as long as possible and try not to get tabled. My Deffkoptas didn’t come in all game as we only made it to turn 4 (All 3). I did grab one objective with a boyz squad that was in a Trukk but I lost the game flat out.

However, I did have some satisfaction in a later tournament when I faced him again. I still lost the majority of my army but I ended up causing a draw (Contesting objectives) which meant I stole the victory that he felt that he deserved.

Currently Painting: Trukk
Next Up: Dakka Jet

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:23 pm 

Chaos daemons game I played today...whole army mishapped except for a unit of daemonettes....they didn't last long

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:39 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Another guy had this happen to him facing me.
It was a 2k pts game, my Tau vs his Draigowing. I got second turn, he advanced and killed a few kroots and made them flee. The turn later, my pirhanas and Broadsides killed 1 paladin each(6 broadsides and 4 pirhanas) first squad down...
The second squad, my firewarriors and normal suits opened fire and managed to drop 3 of the squad. He failed leadership and fell back eleven inches...
He didn't kill anything more after that. His reserves never arrived as he conceeded after my turn two.
I'll add he bought a new set of dices.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:43 pm 

Jiya wrote:
This is kind of backwards as I was on the winning side of this story but the opponent was a really good friend of mine and it went absolutely HORRIBLY for him! Suffice it to say that in the end, he was tabled and I had not lost A SINGLE MODEL! oh did i mention that it was turn 2? It was bad, I had one guardian squad (Eldar) that eradicated a full CSM squad in one shooting phase... I have never seen sooo many 1's and 2's for armor saves in my life....

It was bad, I have seen your pain and hope that I never feel it...

My friend and I started playing together, so I have experienced this a lot. I'm Orks he is Grey Knights.

Today was the worst though. He wins 90% of the time, mainly with his Paladins. So we decide to show off the game to another friend. I win deployment and initiative. First turn I kill 2 of his Grey Knight, no big deal because he kills 11 of my Ork Boyz Shootas(out of 30).

We match each other point for point for a bit, but by his turn 3 he knows he's lost.

He gets a bit pissed off because I take so much time setting everything up. For moving close to 50 boys each turn, I think I'm doing pretty well. But I also keep forgetting rolling for reserves. I get my Deff Koptas in turn 3, his paladins don't deep strike till turn 5.

At this point he has just his terminators left, and I have two squads of Lootas, a boyz squad of 7, 2 deff koptas, and an immobilized Deff Dread with only a Burna still functioning. By the end I had 4 kill points to his 2.

By the end I say good game, and he just looks at me like I am a jerk. This is my first legitimate win against him, everytime I get down to just my Deff Dread or 1 squad I play the game out because I'm just trying to have fun I always try to say good game. I do get mad about his Paladins, because I have nothing to take them on, but that's about it. I got him into the game, and now I feel bad that I even started playing in the first place.

My first "win" against him had me take out a dreadnought and a few Grey Knights turn one. And him conceding after he failed to hit any of my units(lots of ones and I had a couple lucky cover saves).

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:19 am 
Silver Vault Member

That really sucks when people are such poor sports... ts just a game my friends, someone has to lose... My brother is the same, he picked up some necrons and I walk alll over him everytime so badly that he wont even play against me now..

Khador: 25 points

Ogre Kingdoms: 2300 points

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:57 am 

I'm liking the fact that many of the posts on this thread are Grey Knight related :D

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:26 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
I almost forgot, but my best friend seemed to have quit Warhammer altogether after a loss he had against me and my Tyranids. He plays Space Wolves, and ran a mean list with Missile Launcher spam, dual Rune Priests with JotWW and Living Lightning, Grey Hunters in razorbacks, et cetera. I had been preparing for a tournament and got him to agree to a 'no holds barred' match with me since I knew I would be facing a strong Space Wolf presence.

As the game went, he got first turn and JotWW both units of Hive Guard that I have, absolutely wrecking my anti-tank capability, making it pretty safe for him to move forward with Grey Hunters to secure objectives and rapid fire down all of my lesser units. Not only did he kill off all of them between JotWW and a first turn drop pod, but all of the missiles poured into my Flyrant and dropped it despite the cover from my Gargoyles. At this point I had lost a third of my army before even making a move, yet rather than call it I tried to push forward and learn from my mistakes. Long story short, I had some glorious combats and table him by turn five without a problem. A lot of it had to do with dice not swinging his way, and that's what he says really got him in the end. Apparently no amount of good strategy will help you if the dice just aren't in your favor.

High Elves - 5k

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:00 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

My worst game was hands down when I played against a buddy running a Draigo wing army against my Tyranids for the first time. I'd played against his Grey Knights a few times already and was expecting something along the lines of Purifier spam and built my list with that in mind. Then he plopped down his army, including the banner or whatever it is that lets them automatically activate their halberds. Meanwhile, I had a unit of Gargoyles, a flying Tyrant, some Genestealers, Zoanthropes, Hive Guard, a Venomthrope, Trygon, and some Devilgaunts in a pod. There might have been some more but not that I can remember. Oh, and it was kill points.

So by the second turn he had basically chewed apart my Gargoyles with shooting and destroyed my Zoanthropes. Hive Guard simply could not put out enough shots to get past their 2+ save. And on the second turn my Devilgaunts managed to come in. I fired 60 shots in total and got one wound.

By turn 4 I think he'd completely tabled me and I had managed to immobilize and destroy the weapons on his dreadnought and deal two wounds in total to his Terminators. Never before or since have I faced an army that I literally had no chance of beating with the list I took since with my Zoanthropes dead I just couldn't make wounds stick, and even with them, it'd be one or two dead and then he'd just kill the unit. Not that things would have gone much better had I tailored a list for getting around that. Even the best Tyranid options for getting past their armour saves would struggle with getting close enough to assault and then doing any real damage. Not to mention they'd all die once he hits you back.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:53 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!
There is nothing more shameful then being wipped by last editions dark eldar, and foot slogging to boot.

I ran a Lord Commissar, a platoon with 3 infantry squads, HWT squad and a vet squad, by turn 4 I had my Lord Commissar in CC with his Archon and a single Vet squad trying to hold a low wall. Commissar power hugged the archon to death (failed his 2+ invul save finally) and Yourk (a vet sergeant back then) was able to hold off an assault before 20 warriors jumped on him.

I had killed 8 warriors and his archon (2nd time actually killing him). Brutal game and I think I have a recording of it somewhere...