Help picking my first army

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
User avatar
thefailninja
Now we're getting somewhere...
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:29 pm

Help picking my first army

Postby thefailninja » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:44 am

hi everyone, i'm new to warhammer 40k and i amd stuck in the middle of many armys that i would like to field. my choices are: Tyranids, IG, Orks, BA, Eldar or SW. please help me decide which i should collect.

User avatar
sebastionsynn
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Posts: 680
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:16 am
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Location: having lunch in the Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.
Contact:

Re: Help picking my first army

Postby sebastionsynn » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:32 am

it depends on what your style of play is, but seeing as your new to 40K you don't have a play style yet, so you'll have to decide based on what you think you might like.

Tyranids - not very good at shooting for the most part, allthough a couple of units excel at shooty, and others on the forum will tell you they are a must have in your army list. for the most part Nids are an assault army, the faster you can get them into your opponents face where they can chew off said face, the better they like it.

Orks - these guys are also an assault type army, they can also go shooty based on the idea of throw enough bullets at the target and hope you hit. their ballistics skill is by far the worst, but they LOVE close combat. so again the faster you get these guys across the table and into the enemy the better. there's also a plus side to Orks and that is if your strapped for cash, it is very easy to scratch build your tanks and such.

Eldar - Eldar are all about speed and grace, after all their Elves in space. they have the sleekest looking vehicles, as well. as an army they are not very forgiving though, because if you make a mistake it will cost you. this is one of the most difficult armies to play as every unit has to work in synergy with the rest of the army. but you have a lot of versatility in that you can run a shooty list, a close combat list, or a combo of both. you should also be aware that there are 4 different factions of Eldar you can play. there is Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Exodite Eldar(the rules for these guys are old, old, old. GW hasn't expanded on them much), and Eldar Corsairs(corsairs are like Eldar pirates, and you can find thier codex in Imperial Armour 11 - Doom of Mymeara)

as for Blood Angels and Space Wolves, i don't play marines, i hate marines with a passion, so you will have to wait for someone else to give you a synopsis of those two armies. best of luck in whatever you choose and welcome to the most expensive hobby in the world.
New research has discovered that research causes cancer in lab rats.
Assembled the model before painting?? It's not a n00b mistake, it's a training exercise to improve your painting skills

User avatar
TheLonelyGuardsmen
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:36 pm
Location: Inside a hormagaunts belly

Re: Help picking my first army

Postby TheLonelyGuardsmen » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:04 am

Ok, im just gonna go right out and say it, I suggest you dont play BA. ALOT of people play them. As for Eldar, sebastian told you about them. SW are a very good army, fun to play, cool looking, and get some pretty cool stuff. I would play them if I didn't like Dark Angels better. Orks area very good starter army and have a good codex, despite still being 4th edition. Now the one I know about most is Tyranids. I could go on forever about the few good and alot of bad aspects of the codex, but I will try to sum it up. The 5th edition Tyranid codex is for fun ONLY. If you want to be competative, pick a different army. They are fun to play(if you dont mind losing alot), but most of all the have fantastic and scary lokking models. They have have alot of unique units, some are just bad. Hopefully they will get a better codex when they updated (whenever that is) but right now, they probably have one of they worst codexes out there. Probably the only one worse right now is chaos. Dont know anything about the IG.
Bombs, you want it? Its yours my friend, just as long as you have enough rupees.

User avatar
GreaterGoodIreland
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:59 am

Re: Help picking my first army

Postby GreaterGoodIreland » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:49 am

Don't play Space Marines at all, Chaos excepted.

If you want to be human, play Guard.
If you want to be an alien, play Tau or Orks.

:twisted:
"The individual with the primitive flashlight has been sent to re-education."

Tau Alternate Codex, First Edition Released! 04/05/12
http://www.mediafire.com/?31y3e6b31uutrth

Epic_Morph
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Re: Help picking my first army

Postby Epic_Morph » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:23 pm

'Nids gives you monsters.

IG Gives you TANKS

Orks gives you numbers (Of models and attacks)

Blood Angels gives you... red marines with jump packs, and some cool dreadnoughts, personally one of the few 40k I wouldnt ever want to play.

Eldar gives you space elves, with speed and phsycic coolness.

Space Wolves gives you... light blue marines with dogs... same as BA for me on these, although my knowledge is again, limited.

I play Orks myself, and love 'em, they are so versitile and fun, but it can be a pain to build and paint so many similar models, maybe I just have a short attention span.

As with all choices in 40k, the coolest things perform best, so just pick ones you like the look of, and it'll work out in the end ;p

User avatar
vailkor
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Posts: 467
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:57 pm
Ribbons Earned: Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Re: Help picking my first army

Postby vailkor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Read some of the fluff on websites online for the different races. This is the best way to decide which army you want to play. I got into Blood Angels because of their fluff.

On a side note, what's with all the marine hate?
Only the dead have seen the end of war.

Blood Angels: Flesh Tearers= 4800pts W-6/D-2/L-6

There are few wars between good and evil: most are between one good and another good. -Yang Wenli

User avatar
Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Posts: 10266
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:45 pm
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Location: Orkeologist

Re: Help picking my first army

Postby Dez » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:38 pm

Epic_Morph wrote:
As with all choices in 40k, the coolest things perform best, so just pick ones you like the look of, and it'll work out in the end ;p


This is the best piece of advise so far: Go with the army you think looks the coolest. You will spend a LOT of time building and painting, so make it one that you will look forward to seeing the finished product.

If you are gaming on a Budget, Space Marines are probably your best pick. You can get basic tactical marines in the Assault on Black Reach set (it comes with Orks too). AoBR is probably the best place for you to start, as it comes with Space Marines and Orks as well as the Rulebook. You might want to start here no matter what, you get a lot of models and the rules as well as 2 different armies.

One thing I've found to be a great resource is GW's own site. Read their entries and articles on each race you are interested in. Another great resource is Lexicanum. If your army being 'cool' is something that matters to you, then read about it there.

So when it comes down to it, are you looking to play an army based on looks, background or winning tournaments? A combination?

Try to weed out the bias *cough* ORKS *cough* ;) Look and read about the armies on the sites I gave you, then come back and ask questions in the specific subforums.

Have fun!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

User avatar
GreaterGoodIreland
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:59 am

Re: Help picking my first army

Postby GreaterGoodIreland » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:11 pm

vailkor wrote:On a side note, what's with all the marine hate?


An army of Mary Sues, wearing plot armour (pauldrons), and generally being pious bores?

Apart from the Eldar, the Space Marines are the buzz kill of the universe.

Whenever the Imperial Guard get into a serious fight, if only a single Space Marine fights, the Space Marines get the credit. Yet the Guard do 99% of the fighting of the Imperium.

Whenever an alien race starts to make progress against the Imperium, as a result of its massive bureaucratic incompetence or overstretched resources, in come the Space Marines to return the status quo (because the Guard can't do it alone). The well known chapters never lose a battle to return the status quo, they only lose if the battle has been decided before they've arrived. Other chapters are simply made up in order to be destroyed, so that the existing chapters can have an untarnished reputation.

In game terms, they're walking cheese pieces. Vanilla Marines less so, but every other 5th Ed Marine book has been pants-on-head silly overpowered.

Space Wolves: Remove models from the board without any semblance of resistance because some lad can summon up "Jaws". Absurd.

Blood Angels: Absolutely murderous in close combat, and faster than the Eldar or Tau. Ridiculous.

Grey Knights: All the tarpitting of the Imperial Guard added to even MORE overpowered Space Marines, with equipment that simply can't be beaten, or renders the main weapons against them entirely useless. It shall be known as the Wardite Heresy in years to come.

So please, thefailninja, DO NOT CHOOSE A MARINE ARMY.
Unless it's Chaos Marines, which are highly amusing.
"The individual with the primitive flashlight has been sent to re-education."

Tau Alternate Codex, First Edition Released! 04/05/12
http://www.mediafire.com/?31y3e6b31uutrth

User avatar
Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Posts: 10266
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:45 pm
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Location: Orkeologist

Re: Help picking my first army

Postby Dez » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:24 pm

This is the bias I was speaking about ;) Go with what you want first, then use the internet as a resource second.

If you know your army and you know your opponents army...you can nearly win using a CSM summoned demon army vs Draigowing.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

User avatar
vailkor
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Posts: 467
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:57 pm
Ribbons Earned: Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Re: Help picking my first army

Postby vailkor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:12 pm

GreaterGoodIreland wrote:
vailkor wrote:On a side note, what's with all the marine hate?


An army of Mary Sues, wearing plot armour (pauldrons), and generally being pious bores?

Apart from the Eldar, the Space Marines are the buzz kill of the universe.

Whenever the Imperial Guard get into a serious fight, if only a single Space Marine fights, the Space Marines get the credit. Yet the Guard do 99% of the fighting of the Imperium.

Whenever an alien race starts to make progress against the Imperium, as a result of its massive bureaucratic incompetence or overstretched resources, in come the Space Marines to return the status quo (because the Guard can't do it alone). The well known chapters never lose a battle to return the status quo, they only lose if the battle has been decided before they've arrived. Other chapters are simply made up in order to be destroyed, so that the existing chapters can have an untarnished reputation.


Warhammer 40k is a sci-fi emulation of medieval fantasy storytelling, as well as a twisted commentary of our own world. So something like that is perfectly normal. Space Marines are essentially knights/nobles, the "Emperor's chosen", so it is only natural for them to be glory hounds.

Their overzealous persecution of xenos is a commentary on mankind's prejudice. We do not understand it, therefore we fear or hate it. The Imperial Guard is just another commentary in themselves. Mankind needs heroes and normal people. Occasionally a normal person rises to become a hero (i.e. Ibram Gaunt, Caiphas Cain, Kyril Sindermam), but mankind always needs something or someone to strive to become, that is the point of the marines, not to belittle the guard, but to inspire them. If you read the Horus Heresy novels it illustrates the need for the relationship between humans and astartes, the astartes inspire humans and the humans keep the astartes accountable (i.e. Garviel Loken and Mersadie Oliton, Nathaniel Garro and Kaleb Arin).

Honestly, similar complaints could be said about any race in 40k, that's what I like about it. There are no "good guys", and there's a lot of "bad guys". Basically you pick the plot of grey area that you feel is the most worthy and you follow them. For some it could be the raging hordes of Orks, or the cunning warriors of the Eldar. For others it could be the hive mind of the Tyranids.

As for me, I'm not biased to Space Marines, I'm just biased against Chaos. I HATE Chaos with a passion, therefore I play they're nemesis the Imperium. I like the lore behind the marines because of the Horus Heresy novels, and since Sanguinius is my favorite Primarch, I play Blood Angels. That's how it worked for me picking an army, that's why I suggest reading fluff to decide the army to choose.

GreaterGoodIreland wrote:In game terms, they're walking cheese pieces. Vanilla Marines less so, but every other 5th Ed Marine book has been pants-on-head silly overpowered.

Space Wolves: Remove models from the board without any semblance of resistance because some lad can summon up "Jaws". Absurd.

Blood Angels: Absolutely murderous in close combat, and faster than the Eldar or Tau. Ridiculous.

Grey Knights: All the tarpitting of the Imperial Guard added to even MORE overpowered Space Marines, with equipment that simply can't be beaten, or renders the main weapons against them entirely useless. It shall be known as the Wardite Heresy in years to come.

So please, thefailninja, DO NOT CHOOSE A MARINE ARMY.
Unless it's Chaos Marines, which are highly amusing.


If I'm not mistaken many armies have units that can be considered pretty cheesy. I don't deny the Grey Knights, they are extreme cheese. But Eldar holofields and psychic powers are pretty annoying. Tyranid genestealers and Tervigaunts are also really nasty. The Guard's mechs are pie plate heaven. Essentially, there's something to hate about every army, accept Grey Knights where you just hate everything.
Only the dead have seen the end of war.

Blood Angels: Flesh Tearers= 4800pts W-6/D-2/L-6

There are few wars between good and evil: most are between one good and another good. -Yang Wenli

Epic_Morph
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Re: Help picking my first army

Postby Epic_Morph » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:27 pm

My only real "Marine hate" is all the attention GW gives them, they have 5 (or is it 6? i forget) codexs, and it's all they seem to care about, their fluff can seem a little over the top sometimes, but all armies have charecters like that im sure.


Anyway, thats not what this thread is for, so i'll quit moaning now ;)

Another source of inspiration you could use are the dawn of war games, while not the same as table top, they can give you a look at the armies in a fighting perspective.

User avatar
GreaterGoodIreland
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:59 am

Re: Help picking my first army

Postby GreaterGoodIreland » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:50 pm

vailkor wrote:If I'm not mistaken many armies have units that can be considered pretty cheesy. I don't deny the Grey Knights, they are extreme cheese. But Eldar holofields and psychic powers are pretty annoying. Tyranid genestealers and Tervigaunts are also really nasty. The Guard's mechs are pie plate heaven. Essentially, there's something to hate about every army, accept Grey Knights where you just hate everything.


Eldar trickery is balanced by their army's complete lack of forgiveness for even the smallest mistake, Nid players can't destroy vehicles for their lives and generally have crap armour saves, and Guard mech can be defeated in a number of ways with surprising ease and their BS sucks.

All the examples of cheese I just pointed out are not balanced by any other particular disadvantage.

Space Wolves literally have no disadvantage in using their Priests.

Blood Angels have some crazy stuff rooted in their genetic instability, but it doesn't exactly give a big disadvantage when their tactics basically consist of get close FAST to clobber. And they are fast.

You can't compare Marine cheese to Xenos cheese, it just doesn't work. Xenos books are either very well balanced or underpowered. Space Marine books are either on the powerful side of balanced, or are completely broken.
"The individual with the primitive flashlight has been sent to re-education."

Tau Alternate Codex, First Edition Released! 04/05/12
http://www.mediafire.com/?31y3e6b31uutrth

User avatar
vailkor
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Posts: 467
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:57 pm
Ribbons Earned: Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Re: Help picking my first army

Postby vailkor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:20 pm

GreaterGoodIreland wrote:
vailkor wrote:If I'm not mistaken many armies have units that can be considered pretty cheesy. I don't deny the Grey Knights, they are extreme cheese. But Eldar holofields and psychic powers are pretty annoying. Tyranid genestealers and Tervigaunts are also really nasty. The Guard's mechs are pie plate heaven. Essentially, there's something to hate about every army, accept Grey Knights where you just hate everything.


Eldar trickery is balanced by their army's complete lack of forgiveness for even the smallest mistake, Nid players can't destroy vehicles for their lives and generally have crap armour saves, and Guard mech can be defeated in a number of ways with surprising ease and their BS sucks.

All the examples of cheese I just pointed out are not balanced by any other particular disadvantage.

Space Wolves literally have no disadvantage in using their Priests.

Blood Angels have some crazy stuff rooted in their genetic instability, but it doesn't exactly give a big disadvantage when their tactics basically consist of get close FAST to clobber. And they are fast.

You can't compare Marine cheese to Xenos cheese, it just doesn't work. Xenos books are either very well balanced or underpowered. Space Marine books are either on the powerful side of balanced, or are completely broken.


Every army has a unit to complain about. Tyranids CAN destroy vehicles. Hive guard impaler cannons: str 8 24" range. Zoanthrope Lance psychic power. Even Genestealers have a decent chance of glancing or even penetrating a vehicle. Blood angels only have a 1/6 chance of activating their red thirst, which comparable to Dark Eldar combat drugs isn't that bad. Eldar holofields make penetrating the vehicles a pain, Eldrad has a number of psychic powers, of which he can eliminate specific models, and give units rerolls on practically anything. Every army is equal in the hands of a good player who knows how to build a list. Marine armies tend to be easy to pick up for beginners. I look at it like Magic the Gathering, I hate all the colors when i play against them, but I like using any of the colors too. In other words, all the armies are a pain in your butt when you play against someone who knows how to use them, but all the armies are also fun to play.
Only the dead have seen the end of war.

Blood Angels: Flesh Tearers= 4800pts W-6/D-2/L-6

There are few wars between good and evil: most are between one good and another good. -Yang Wenli

User avatar
khani
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Posts: 1677
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:58 pm
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Help picking my first army

Postby khani » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Epic_Morph wrote:
Orks gives you numbers (Of models and attacks)



Teehee, that rhymed
.... :mrgreen:
Khani is more OT family then Shas! There I said it! -IGfanatic

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman

User avatar
IPlayThisGame
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Posts: 906
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:29 am
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Location: Canada

Re: Help picking my first army

Postby IPlayThisGame » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Go with whichever army you like the look of the most. They are the ones you will have to collect, assemble, paint, look at, play with, talk to and occasionally throw at walls or eat. If you don't think they look good doing it, what's the point?


Return to “Warhammer 40K”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests