It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:44 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

hi everyone, i'm new to warhammer 40k and i amd stuck in the middle of many armys that i would like to field. my choices are: Tyranids, IG, Orks, BA, Eldar or SW. please help me decide which i should collect.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:32 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Location: having lunch in the Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
it depends on what your style of play is, but seeing as your new to 40K you don't have a play style yet, so you'll have to decide based on what you think you might like.

Tyranids - not very good at shooting for the most part, allthough a couple of units excel at shooty, and others on the forum will tell you they are a must have in your army list. for the most part Nids are an assault army, the faster you can get them into your opponents face where they can chew off said face, the better they like it.

Orks - these guys are also an assault type army, they can also go shooty based on the idea of throw enough bullets at the target and hope you hit. their ballistics skill is by far the worst, but they LOVE close combat. so again the faster you get these guys across the table and into the enemy the better. there's also a plus side to Orks and that is if your strapped for cash, it is very easy to scratch build your tanks and such.

Eldar - Eldar are all about speed and grace, after all their Elves in space. they have the sleekest looking vehicles, as well. as an army they are not very forgiving though, because if you make a mistake it will cost you. this is one of the most difficult armies to play as every unit has to work in synergy with the rest of the army. but you have a lot of versatility in that you can run a shooty list, a close combat list, or a combo of both. you should also be aware that there are 4 different factions of Eldar you can play. there is Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Exodite Eldar(the rules for these guys are old, old, old. GW hasn't expanded on them much), and Eldar Corsairs(corsairs are like Eldar pirates, and you can find thier codex in Imperial Armour 11 - Doom of Mymeara)

as for Blood Angels and Space Wolves, i don't play marines, i hate marines with a passion, so you will have to wait for someone else to give you a synopsis of those two armies. best of luck in whatever you choose and welcome to the most expensive hobby in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:04 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Ok, im just gonna go right out and say it, I suggest you dont play BA. ALOT of people play them. As for Eldar, sebastian told you about them. SW are a very good army, fun to play, cool looking, and get some pretty cool stuff. I would play them if I didn't like Dark Angels better. Orks area very good starter army and have a good codex, despite still being 4th edition. Now the one I know about most is Tyranids. I could go on forever about the few good and alot of bad aspects of the codex, but I will try to sum it up. The 5th edition Tyranid codex is for fun ONLY. If you want to be competative, pick a different army. They are fun to play(if you dont mind losing alot), but most of all the have fantastic and scary lokking models. They have have alot of unique units, some are just bad. Hopefully they will get a better codex when they updated (whenever that is) but right now, they probably have one of they worst codexes out there. Probably the only one worse right now is chaos. Dont know anything about the IG.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:49 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Don't play Space Marines at all, Chaos excepted.

If you want to be human, play Guard.
If you want to be an alien, play Tau or Orks.

:twisted:

Tau Alternate Codex, First Edition Released! 04/05/12
http://www.mediafire.com/?31y3e6b31uutrth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:23 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

'Nids gives you monsters.

IG Gives you TANKS

Orks gives you numbers (Of models and attacks)

Blood Angels gives you... red marines with jump packs, and some cool dreadnoughts, personally one of the few 40k I wouldnt ever want to play.

Eldar gives you space elves, with speed and phsycic coolness.

Space Wolves gives you... light blue marines with dogs... same as BA for me on these, although my knowledge is again, limited.

I play Orks myself, and love 'em, they are so versitile and fun, but it can be a pain to build and paint so many similar models, maybe I just have a short attention span.

As with all choices in 40k, the coolest things perform best, so just pick ones you like the look of, and it'll work out in the end ;p

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:35 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
Read some of the fluff on websites online for the different races. This is the best way to decide which army you want to play. I got into Blood Angels because of their fluff.

On a side note, what's with all the marine hate?

Blood Angels= 2700pts W-5/D-2/L-5 (2260/2700 painted)
Ulthwe Eldar= 1000pts W-6/D-0/L-0

There are few wars between good and evil: most are between one good and another good. -Yang Wenli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:38 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Epic_Morph wrote:

As with all choices in 40k, the coolest things perform best, so just pick ones you like the look of, and it'll work out in the end ;p

This is the best piece of advise so far: Go with the army you think looks the coolest. You will spend a LOT of time building and painting, so make it one that you will look forward to seeing the finished product.

If you are gaming on a Budget, Space Marines are probably your best pick. You can get basic tactical marines in the Assault on Black Reach set (it comes with Orks too). AoBR is probably the best place for you to start, as it comes with Space Marines and Orks as well as the Rulebook. You might want to start here no matter what, you get a lot of models and the rules as well as 2 different armies.

One thing I've found to be a great resource is GW's own site. Read their entries and articles on each race you are interested in. Another great resource is Lexicanum. If your army being 'cool' is something that matters to you, then read about it there.

So when it comes down to it, are you looking to play an army based on looks, background or winning tournaments? A combination?

Try to weed out the bias *cough* ORKS *cough* ;) Look and read about the armies on the sites I gave you, then come back and ask questions in the specific subforums.

Have fun!

"I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:11 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

vailkor wrote:

An army of Mary Sues, wearing plot armour (pauldrons), and generally being pious bores?

Apart from the Eldar, the Space Marines are the buzz kill of the universe.

Whenever the Imperial Guard get into a serious fight, if only a single Space Marine fights, the Space Marines get the credit. Yet the Guard do 99% of the fighting of the Imperium.

Whenever an alien race starts to make progress against the Imperium, as a result of its massive bureaucratic incompetence or overstretched resources, in come the Space Marines to return the status quo (because the Guard can't do it alone). The well known chapters never lose a battle to return the status quo, they only lose if the battle has been decided before they've arrived. Other chapters are simply made up in order to be destroyed, so that the existing chapters can have an untarnished reputation.

In game terms, they're walking cheese pieces. Vanilla Marines less so, but every other 5th Ed Marine book has been pants-on-head silly overpowered.

Space Wolves: Remove models from the board without any semblance of resistance because some lad can summon up "Jaws". Absurd.

Blood Angels: Absolutely murderous in close combat, and faster than the Eldar or Tau. Ridiculous.

Grey Knights: All the tarpitting of the Imperial Guard added to even MORE overpowered Space Marines, with equipment that simply can't be beaten, or renders the main weapons against them entirely useless. It shall be known as the Wardite Heresy in years to come.

So please, thefailninja, DO NOT CHOOSE A MARINE ARMY.
Unless it's Chaos Marines, which are highly amusing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:24 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
This is the bias I was speaking about ;) Go with what you want first, then use the internet as a resource second.

If you know your army and you know your opponents army...you can nearly win using a CSM summoned demon army vs Draigowing.

"I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:12 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

GreaterGoodIreland wrote:
vailkor wrote:

An army of Mary Sues, wearing plot armour (pauldrons), and generally being pious bores?

Apart from the Eldar, the Space Marines are the buzz kill of the universe.

Whenever the Imperial Guard get into a serious fight, if only a single Space Marine fights, the Space Marines get the credit. Yet the Guard do 99% of the fighting of the Imperium.

Whenever an alien race starts to make progress against the Imperium, as a result of its massive bureaucratic incompetence or overstretched resources, in come the Space Marines to return the status quo (because the Guard can't do it alone). The well known chapters never lose a battle to return the status quo, they only lose if the battle has been decided before they've arrived. Other chapters are simply made up in order to be destroyed, so that the existing chapters can have an untarnished reputation.

Warhammer 40k is a sci-fi emulation of medieval fantasy storytelling, as well as a twisted commentary of our own world. So something like that is perfectly normal. Space Marines are essentially knights/nobles, the "Emperor's chosen", so it is only natural for them to be glory hounds.

Their overzealous persecution of xenos is a commentary on mankind's prejudice. We do not understand it, therefore we fear or hate it. The Imperial Guard is just another commentary in themselves. Mankind needs heroes and normal people. Occasionally a normal person rises to become a hero (i.e. Ibram Gaunt, Caiphas Cain, Kyril Sindermam), but mankind always needs something or someone to strive to become, that is the point of the marines, not to belittle the guard, but to inspire them. If you read the Horus Heresy novels it illustrates the need for the relationship between humans and astartes, the astartes inspire humans and the humans keep the astartes accountable (i.e. Garviel Loken and Mersadie Oliton, Nathaniel Garro and Kaleb Arin).

Honestly, similar complaints could be said about any race in 40k, that's what I like about it. There are no "good guys", and there's a lot of "bad guys". Basically you pick the plot of grey area that you feel is the most worthy and you follow them. For some it could be the raging hordes of Orks, or the cunning warriors of the Eldar. For others it could be the hive mind of the Tyranids.

As for me, I'm not biased to Space Marines, I'm just biased against Chaos. I HATE Chaos with a passion, therefore I play they're nemesis the Imperium. I like the lore behind the marines because of the Horus Heresy novels, and since Sanguinius is my favorite Primarch, I play Blood Angels. That's how it worked for me picking an army, that's why I suggest reading fluff to decide the army to choose.

In game terms, they're walking cheese pieces. Vanilla Marines less so, but every other 5th Ed Marine book has been pants-on-head silly overpowered.

Space Wolves: Remove models from the board without any semblance of resistance because some lad can summon up "Jaws". Absurd.

Blood Angels: Absolutely murderous in close combat, and faster than the Eldar or Tau. Ridiculous.

Grey Knights: All the tarpitting of the Imperial Guard added to even MORE overpowered Space Marines, with equipment that simply can't be beaten, or renders the main weapons against them entirely useless. It shall be known as the Wardite Heresy in years to come.

So please, thefailninja, DO NOT CHOOSE A MARINE ARMY.
Unless it's Chaos Marines, which are highly amusing.

If I'm not mistaken many armies have units that can be considered pretty cheesy. I don't deny the Grey Knights, they are extreme cheese. But Eldar holofields and psychic powers are pretty annoying. Tyranid genestealers and Tervigaunts are also really nasty. The Guard's mechs are pie plate heaven. Essentially, there's something to hate about every army, accept Grey Knights where you just hate everything.

There are few wars between good and evil: most are between one good and another good. -Yang Wenli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:27 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

My only real "Marine hate" is all the attention GW gives them, they have 5 (or is it 6? i forget) codexs, and it's all they seem to care about, their fluff can seem a little over the top sometimes, but all armies have charecters like that im sure.

Anyway, thats not what this thread is for, so i'll quit moaning now ;)

Another source of inspiration you could use are the dawn of war games, while not the same as table top, they can give you a look at the armies in a fighting perspective.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:50 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

vailkor wrote:
If I'm not mistaken many armies have units that can be considered pretty cheesy. I don't deny the Grey Knights, they are extreme cheese. But Eldar holofields and psychic powers are pretty annoying. Tyranid genestealers and Tervigaunts are also really nasty. The Guard's mechs are pie plate heaven. Essentially, there's something to hate about every army, accept Grey Knights where you just hate everything.

Eldar trickery is balanced by their army's complete lack of forgiveness for even the smallest mistake, Nid players can't destroy vehicles for their lives and generally have crap armour saves, and Guard mech can be defeated in a number of ways with surprising ease and their BS sucks.

All the examples of cheese I just pointed out are not balanced by any other particular disadvantage.

Space Wolves literally have no disadvantage in using their Priests.

Blood Angels have some crazy stuff rooted in their genetic instability, but it doesn't exactly give a big disadvantage when their tactics basically consist of get close FAST to clobber. And they are fast.

You can't compare Marine cheese to Xenos cheese, it just doesn't work. Xenos books are either very well balanced or underpowered. Space Marine books are either on the powerful side of balanced, or are completely broken.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:20 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

vailkor wrote:

Eldar trickery is balanced by their army's complete lack of forgiveness for even the smallest mistake, Nid players can't destroy vehicles for their lives and generally have crap armour saves, and Guard mech can be defeated in a number of ways with surprising ease and their BS sucks.

All the examples of cheese I just pointed out are not balanced by any other particular disadvantage.

Space Wolves literally have no disadvantage in using their Priests.

Blood Angels have some crazy stuff rooted in their genetic instability, but it doesn't exactly give a big disadvantage when their tactics basically consist of get close FAST to clobber. And they are fast.

You can't compare Marine cheese to Xenos cheese, it just doesn't work. Xenos books are either very well balanced or underpowered. Space Marine books are either on the powerful side of balanced, or are completely broken.

Every army has a unit to complain about. Tyranids CAN destroy vehicles. Hive guard impaler cannons: str 8 24" range. Zoanthrope Lance psychic power. Even Genestealers have a decent chance of glancing or even penetrating a vehicle. Blood angels only have a 1/6 chance of activating their red thirst, which comparable to Dark Eldar combat drugs isn't that bad. Eldar holofields make penetrating the vehicles a pain, Eldrad has a number of psychic powers, of which he can eliminate specific models, and give units rerolls on practically anything. Every army is equal in the hands of a good player who knows how to build a list. Marine armies tend to be easy to pick up for beginners. I look at it like Magic the Gathering, I hate all the colors when i play against them, but I like using any of the colors too. In other words, all the armies are a pain in your butt when you play against someone who knows how to use them, but all the armies are also fun to play.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:34 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges
Epic_Morph wrote:

Orks gives you numbers (Of models and attacks)

Teehee, that rhymed
.... :mrgreen:

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:39 pm 
Bronze Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Go with whichever army you like the look of the most. They are the ones you will have to collect, assemble, paint, look at, play with, talk to and occasionally throw at walls or eat. If you don't think they look good doing it, what's the point?