It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dawn of War 3 Wishlist
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:42 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

So, THQ said they're working on DoW 3 already and that it'll hold more customization options and be a larger battle than what even DoW 1 was, which leaves me to believe we might be seeing something on Apocalypse scale in a DoW game.

So I've decided to make a wishlist. I'll list what I have on my list, feel free to add to it. I'll just name my top five.

1. Bases.
-My main peeve on DoW 2 was no real base building. I like the move to your units being built from the same building, but I hated how only a select few HQ/Hero choices were able to build support structures and how you could only build Power Generators around a Power Node, and even then it was three per a node. There should be a main building for unit production that builds ALL of your units, an armory for unit upgrades or improving the wargear a unit can take, defensive and support structure options and your own power generators.

2. Wargear.
-With DoW 2, you chose your 'HQ' unit before the battle started. During the course of the battle, you would get your upgrades during the battle. I'd rather choose my HQ and his/her Wargear BEFORE the battle. That's what I loved about Last Stand for DoW 2.

3. Dedicated Transports.
-I'd like the option to deploy a squad already in a transport vehicle. There were mods for DoW that did this and I loved them for it.

4. Assassination.
-I want to see a gameplay mode from DoW 1 come back, Assassination. The goal is that you have to kill your enemy's 'leader' unit(s). I loved it and it was a nice option for a quick game.

5. ARTILLERY, PEWPEW!
-With DoW 2, not many armies got Artillery units. Infact, I think it was only for the Imperial Guard. I'd like to see them brought back (like the Whirlwind and so on), but not only that but Artillery emplacements. As an RTS player, I loved the Supreme Commander games because of the Artillery batteries you could build and their range. Would be nice to have something like that in DoW 3. It would make the game feel like a true warzone and I think that is what they're trying to go for with DoW 3.

Feel free to add to the Wishlist if you wish.

Loses: 15
Draws: 3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:25 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
Tau

Gatormen 170 points
Dwarves 261 points
Malifaux:
Ten thunders 347 Soul Stones
Gremlins 82 Soul Stones

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:38 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Apocalypse titans and tau mantas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:52 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

All the races, with separate campaigns for groups of races.

i.e. have a Tau vs Orks campaign, several Imperial campaigns, Nid campaigns, Chaos campaigns etc.

Tau Alternate Codex, First Edition Released! 04/05/12
http://www.mediafire.com/?31y3e6b31uutrth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:03 am 
Bronze Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
I don't know about going quite the scale of Titans and Mantas, but I would like to seem some Super Heavy Walkers/Tanks/Creatures and maybe Flyers. I also want them to go back to the DoW1 style rather than DoW2. It was a good game mind you, but the system worked better in Company of Heroes than it did in DoW2. Mainly I want to see:

-Factions: The more the merrier (as long as only one is wearing Power Armour), however their capabilities should revolve around what they do in the actual table-top game and fluff.

-Bases: Base building is one of the things I like most about RTSs because it limits your options (somewhat) and forces you to think strategically instead of just upgrading one building and gaining access to every unit.

-Realistic Scale: I'd like to see models at a realistic scale. I want my Rhinos to look like they can hold 10 Marines, and I want my Marines to tower over puny Guardsmen (A DoW1 mod did this really well, in addition to many other things. I think it was called Firestorm of Kronus).

-Morale: The morale system in the first two games felt very lacking to me. It should become more important to manage your squad's morale so they don't break and flee or get cut down.

-Bigger Battles: I want the massive battles of DoW1 brought back, but with even bigger, badder things on the field to decimate my enemies (Trygon anyone?).

-More Game Modes: DoW2 got boring for me very quickly because it was always the same thing: capture as many points as you can and hold them for as long as you can; or destroy thr enemy outright. What about Assassination as LoneHero mentioned, or a "Capture the Flag" sort of scenario where you to need uncap your opponent's point(s) while defending your own? One idea I've come up with myself (I made it as a UMS in StarCraft Brood War) is a mode where you start off with a predetermined amount of points and buy all your units/upgrades before the game starts, then battle your opponent with the units you have (like the real table-top game).

-Heroes: I really liked the Hero portion of DoW2, so that should stick around, although maybe more options, and one's that correspond to the fluff better. It angered me to no end that there was a "Lictor Prime", but not a Broodlord which could've filled the exact same role.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:14 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Anyone ever play the Firestorm over Kronus mod?.... that.... with prettier graphics.

Dese Orkz iz made fer fightin, an dats just wat deyle do
Wun of dese dayz dese Orkz is gunna WAAGH!! all ova you!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:04 pm 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges
Space battles.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:55 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Yeah, the FoK mod IS the best mod out there for Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. They were suppose to be making one for Soulstorm but when Dawn of War II came out, the team began work on Firestorm over Aurelia.

As for space battles, there is some talk going around that THQ's next Homeworld game will actually be Battlefleet Gothic.

Loses: 15
Draws: 3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:19 pm 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Can't have your cake and eat it too. Depth or scale. Pick one.

I liked not building bases. I found it was more realistic given the scale. Battles move too fast, there usually isn't enough time to first build a factory, and then have it produce things to be used in the battle. Instead of having your units built onsite, they should be requisitioned from command, who they send the units to your sector. Like the eldar webway, sm drop pods, ork teleporta, chaos summoning, IG drop ships. There are examples of the contrary, in ww2 there was a Russian factory producing/repairing tanks and immediately sending them next door to fight.

If you want bases, you need to up the scale. You won't be that little battlefield commander anymore, you'll be the theater commander. You'll control the factories and send the units to where you think you need them. There will be several battles going on which are each the scale of the prior example. You won't be concerned with exact position or facing of units, what their names or particular traits are. You'd be playing the numbers game.

It ultimately comes down to what you would rather fight. A battle, or a war? I personally prefer them not to mix. There is a hierarchy or rank structure. The lowest rank gets ordered around by the rank above them and don't really have anything to be concerned about. The second rank is ordered around by the rank above them and are only concerned about the rank below them doing their jobs right. The third rank takes orders from the fourth rank, and are only concerned about the second rank doing their jobs. Fourth rank does what the fifth rank is told, and orders around the third rank. What you people seem to be asking for is the fourth or fifth rank to be directly involved in the affairs of the lowest rank.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:41 pm 
Now we're getting somewhere...

I truly hope they don't bring back base-building. Sitting in your base and building a massive army is kind of lame, hence the reason why I prefer DOWII to the first one. Also, it doesn't make any sense fluff-wise.

Full unit customization however would be delicious, and possibly a level-up system with more cosmetics available the higher level you are. Oh, and more units.

and Tyranids, or else I'll be mad.

http://www.youtube.com/user/alfabusa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:58 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
STOMPAS!

"I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:06 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

DoW3 Wishlist ideas:

Campaign: Here is what I'm Hoping for:

A mixture between DoW 1 and 2, Where the Player would pick their faction, and begin the game controlling a singular world within a sector. The Sector would be in conflict, with each faction fighting for absolute control.

Your Commander would have two goals:
1) personal Goal, which would be based on the faction. Aka: Chaos prevents Marine player from completing Crusade/mission etc.
2) Conquest of the Sector! aka: Wipe out every enemy faction

Akin to DoW1, each world you control would grant you a trickle of resources per Turn, These resources could be spent in your Stronghold (First world)

These resources could be spent in many ways:
1) Buying New Units (full Squads, numbers based on tabletop)
2) Buying Standard weapons(No-name white quality weapons akin to DoW2, Can be given to squads or commander)
3) Investing in special equipment for map only (Dropped Heavy bolter in placements etc)

Once you have requited several squads, and equipped them as you see fit You can then choose a sector/world to attack, Your army size would be determined by your Commander's level. So as the game progresses, the battles grow form small skirmishes to epic Wars!
However, the squads you deploy with is all you get for the mission, late on you would unlock Honor guard who would be able to be reinforced, but within the Only the commanders would be able to re-spawn.

The Battle's objective would be randomized, and could be anything from assassination, to holding objectives, to mass kill count.

During the battle there would be random drops, akin to the Loot from DoW2, these would be relics, and after the battle would be a currency.
the Relics you gather can be traded in for special weapons for your commander, squad upgrades, or Saved to unlock Superheavy Units.

In this way, you have complete customization of your force, and allows for some replay options (As you could go completely Superheavy, Excell at the Kill missions, but may quickly lose to an enemy of all infantry on a Capture objective mission)

Every so often during the campaign, there would be an "Apocalypse" Mission, where you Join huge forces already in conflict, and are to complete one element of the attack, These ones would have Way more enemies, and Relics as a reward for skill during the mission, along with some specialized weapons.

Multiplayer:
This would be similar to the Campaign, only... Minus the Map. you would once more choose your faction, level your hero, and deploy forces. Your enemy would be found based on your own level.

The early matches would be skirmish sized, however, once a predetermined level is reached, "Apocalypse" mode would be unlocked, Where teams of players would throw everything they have at each other, with bonus resources granted for playing, and relics/specialized equipment granted to the winning team.

I Can probably think of more... but that is what I'm hoping for!

-None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:36 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Total War style single player campaign, no base building (outside the world map level), just battles.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:43 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Flindo wrote:
Tau

LIKE A BOSS

http://www.enjin.com/?ref6270605

I also own a minecraft server at http://realmoftheforgotten.enjin.com/home

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:43 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Wulfrun wrote:
Apocalypse titans and tau mantas

even better