Interesting...

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Durgress
MiniWarGaming Regular
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Interesting...

Post by Durgress » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:46 pm

A two headed eagle is also another famous roman/nazi symbol.
It's krumpin' time!

User avatar
worldmuncher
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:23 pm
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Re: Interesting...

Post by worldmuncher » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:05 pm

the warhammer world has influences from so many different cultures and time periods, ahriman is the name of a god in zoroastrinanism, nurgle is actually a real god in another religion. azrael from dark angels is the angel of death in christian and jewish religions and alot of the names make sense with the back story. sometimes i get board and throw names of random things into wiki and see what comes up, some of it fits into what the names are from others are just random or i havent found it yet
nids-wip
lizmen-wip

negZero
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:05 pm

Re: Interesting...

Post by negZero » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:46 pm

Durgress wrote:A two headed eagle is also another famous roman/nazi symbol.
Show me a picture of the Romans or Nazis using a double eagle, for I have never seen one.

User avatar
Korsarro-Khan
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Posts: 1508
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:17 pm
Location: Minehead or Plymouth, UK

Re: Interesting...

Post by Korsarro-Khan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:11 pm

negZero wrote:
Durgress wrote:A two headed eagle is also another famous roman/nazi symbol.
Show me a picture of the Romans or Nazis using a double eagle, for I have never seen one.
here is a picture of a roman one

Image

as for the nazi one, they dont use a two headed eagle, they used an eagle (most of the time standing on the swastika)

however, something i did find extremely intresting, look for similarities between the raven guard space marine chapter symbol, and the picture of Nazi symbols, especially the ones near/in the bottom left

Image
Image

negZero
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:05 pm

Re: Interesting...

Post by negZero » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:17 pm

Korsarro-Khan wrote:
negZero wrote:
Durgress wrote:A two headed eagle is also another famous roman/nazi symbol.
Show me a picture of the Romans or Nazis using a double eagle, for I have never seen one.
here is a picture of a roman one

Image
Look below the eagle you notice the double key of the Vatican and in the claws of the eagle is cross and thurible. That is not a Roman eagle.

Durgress
MiniWarGaming Regular
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Interesting...

Post by Durgress » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:16 pm

Guess what denomination runs the vatican? Roman catholic. Also all of italy was built on roman ruins and battlefields, so finding roman stuff there under a diferent name isnt suprising.
It's krumpin' time!

negZero
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:05 pm

Re: Interesting...

Post by negZero » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:48 pm

Durgress wrote:Guess what denomination runs the vatican? Roman catholic. Also all of italy was built on roman ruins and battlefields, so finding roman stuff there under a diferent name isnt suprising.
Guess what it isn't Roman, for it wasn't used by the Roman Kingdom, Republic and/or Empire. If we open it up to everyone that claims to be Roman then Hammer and Sickle is Roman symbol. Also just to poke more holes into your argument Vatican and Papal States have never claimed to be a successor state of Rome. Finally the Roman part of Roman Catholic name comes from the city not the nation.

Durgress
MiniWarGaming Regular
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Interesting...

Post by Durgress » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:54 pm

so any use of roman iconagraphy in the former capitol of the roman state ise pure coincidence?

Gothic literature wasnt written by goths so it obviously isnt infuenced or related to gothic architeture right? Dissemination, they might not have been roman but it is still roman iconagraphy because that is what they are used to seeing, what they are infuenced by.
It's krumpin' time!

negZero
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:05 pm

Re: Interesting...

Post by negZero » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:23 pm

Durgress wrote:so any use of roman iconagraphy in the former capitol of the roman state ise pure coincidence?

Gothic literature wasnt written by goths so it obviously isnt infuenced or related to gothic architeture right? Dissemination, they might not have been roman but it is still roman iconagraphy because that is what they are used to seeing, what they are infuenced by.
Gothic literature is mixture of horror and romance, Gothic architecture name is suppose to be pejorative description of the style of building. So please do tell how Gothic literature can be rude, barbaric, and despoiler with a Germanic heritage. At best they were influenced by Greeco-Roman style but because of change time, romanticism of by gone era, and just plain misinformation that eagle can never be deemed Roman by any self respect student of history.

On second look that eagle isn't from the Vatican but from Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople built during the Byzantine Empire. So you really don't have an argument now (and don't try that whole East-West Roman Empires cause that will just make you look foolish)

Durgress
MiniWarGaming Regular
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Interesting...

Post by Durgress » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:41 am

[/url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquila_(Roman)[/url]

I was mistaken on the 2 head bit(it was the holy roman empire, small mistake), but the eagle is still an important roman military icon.

Also gothic literature is called such because the stories so often took place within at the time crumbling and fairly creepy old gothic castles. It was very infuental to the works of H.P. Lovecraft, who in turn influenced Stephen King, who has spearheaded the "modern" horror genre.
It's krumpin' time!

User avatar
Korsarro-Khan
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Posts: 1508
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:17 pm
Location: Minehead or Plymouth, UK

Re: Interesting...

Post by Korsarro-Khan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:04 am

i though the second part of my previous post was a bit more intresting........

negZero
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:05 pm

Re: Interesting...

Post by negZero » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:25 am

Durgress wrote:[/url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquila_(Roman)[/url]

I was mistaken on the 2 head bit(it was the holy roman empire, small mistake), but the eagle is still an important roman military icon.
and Byzantine Empire
Also gothic literature is called such because the stories so often took place within at the time crumbling and fairly creepy old gothic castles. It was very infuental to the works of H.P. Lovecraft, who in turn influenced Stephen King, who has spearheaded the "modern" horror genre.
Try Gothic Revival architecture.

User avatar
Rangrok1k
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Posts: 2507
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Interesting...

Post by Rangrok1k » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:49 am

Yo negzero, WHO CARES! It is all semantics, and it is dancing around the overall point: The Double Eagle existed before Wh40k existed.
Clearly, I'm a mere walking corpse, shambling through walls of text.

Inactive? Maybe...

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests