intro to killteam?

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
phatmonk
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

intro to killteam?

Post by phatmonk » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:55 am

what is killteam? can anyone give me the quick low-down? i hear that it is a skirmish form of 40k. does this mean i can make a small army of ork pirates and not have blow $2354270452? could i make a white scars' kill team?
a guardsmen killteam?
I agree with phatmonk -CrusherFex
thanks phatmonk -sharkvictim
Phatmonk got my vote... Great work, it's P.H.A.T. fat, Pretty. Hot. And. Tempting. -dangerdog
phatmonk, i can see what you mean -Italus-Cro

Corpsey
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Re: intro to killteam?

Post by Corpsey » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:46 pm

It's something in the Battle Missions book which takes roughly 200 points maximum. Less popular than straight up 40k, it'll be harder to find games.
The Rule Monkey is always right. Always.

Rangrok1k
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Rangrok1k » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:24 pm

My circle of friends loves killteam because we can do each match in about half an hour to 45 minutes. We tend to pull out a quick Killteam game with paper circles, coins, and erasers in the middle of study hall, or after school.

(These rules are based on what we play and may are not correct - According to Corpsey :D)

Basically, it is 200 points per person. There is no force organization chart. No named characters. In the shooting phase, each model in a unit can fire at a different target. Models can leave a unit, regardless of being an independent character or not. For example, lets say a Brood of 3 Tyranid Warriors are shooting. One Tyranid Warrior can shoot at the imperial guardsmen platoon, and the other two can shoot at the advancing Ogryns. Then later, one of the Ogryns leaves its unit and decides to assault the Tyranid Warriors while the rest of its unit stays and shoots other targets.

And then a house rule for us is NO TERVIGONS! Tervigons break killteam games with a nearly audible crack. If you want to win, bring a Tervigon with toxin sacs, adrenal glands, Catalyst, and Scything Talons. You are then practically guaranteed victory (unless someone gets specific counters and stuff).

We also play with no deployment zones. When you deploy, you place your models where you feel like placing your models. We play on 3'x3' tables (those are the only ones available in our library) so it works. A few books here and there create all the terrain we need. Finally, we have a friend who always has a dice cube, and if we need to, we make our own templates from binder paper.
Last edited by Rangrok1k on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Clearly, I'm a mere walking corpse, shambling through walls of text.

Inactive? Maybe...

Corpsey

Post by Corpsey » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:03 pm

That is nothing like the killteam I know, lol. Tervigon's aren't even allowed in regular in BM killteam legally. Grats on finding your own way to make things work though, and you're having fun.

phatmonk
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by phatmonk » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:20 pm

well i'm most interested in the army composition simply because i don't have enough money to start all the armies i want so i figured I'd just make some killteams!
where would i start if i wanted to make an IG killteam?
i'd assume i need a codex but where are the rules for killteam?
can i have vehicles?
can i have HQ choices?
Phatmonk got my vote... Great work, it's P.H.A.T. fat, Pretty. Hot. And. Tempting. -dangerdog

Corpsey

Post by Corpsey » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:20 pm

Since it seems to be against forum policy to completely replace the need to buy GW materials, I believe my hand is forced to offer only the advice to just go and buy the Battle Missions book if you want the exact details.

For Guard though, I'd probably get some Veterans and gear them out. I have seen the 50 conscripts run before, and while not technically legal, it was quite lulzy.

jimmy72nd
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by jimmy72nd » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Kill team rules are in the Battle Missions book.

Available Here: Codex Battle Missions
"Only the DEAD have seen an end to War" -Plato

Blood Angels 4155 Pts
W:7 L:8 T:8

demarcosg
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by demarcosg » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:01 pm

There are actually 2 versions of kill team. There is a much much older version that involves goons and klaxon counters that appeared in a white dwarf a verrrry long time ago. Quite fun and interesting to play too.

The new kill team involves 200 pts force with the special rule called every man for himself, meaning each model operates as a single unit.

As for force organisation, mods please feel free to delete or edit my post if i do anything wrong. And just to keep the MWG police off my back, generally your choices are limited to elites, troops and fast attack. as to the specific numbers, go and get the book. its on page 91 i think. There are no other restrictions. I have heard of kill teams of just 5 terminators, or even dreadnoughts. So it may feel a little challenging to play in kill team.

If you are interested in other kinds of small 40k battles there is also this thing called 40k in 40 mins, which has more i would think, 'friendly' restrictions such as no 2+ saves, no models with more than 2 wounds, no vehicles with total armor value more than 33 etc.

It may be worth considering planning a kill team and then scaling up to 40k in 40 mins! I myself am looking to making a nice SM scout kill team. =D it is a great opportunity to model a characterful and unique force!

Salsa Rhino
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Salsa Rhino » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:38 pm

pathfinders snipers always win. the devilfish they have is forced on them, so you HAVE to have it. so they get the only armor in kill team (13 at that!) and depending on what you give the fish, 3-6 rail rifles and markerlights. fun!
The enemy of my enemy is also my enemy.
The enemy of my enemy's enemy is...me?
3000pts Orks
1500pts Tau

IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Post by IGfanatic » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:07 am

I have seen a 400 point max of anything but no named characters and AV of over 33 and I've seen this. Now for Guard I'd say get Marbo if he is allowed. Also Kasrikan are pretty good. Less than a vet squad with grenadiers and better equipped, except less models...
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

Corpsey

Post by Corpsey » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:47 pm

Salsa Rhino wrote:pathfinders snipers always win. the devilfish they have is forced on them, so you HAVE to have it. so they get the only armor in kill team (13 at that!) and depending on what you give the fish, 3-6 rail rifles and markerlights. fun!
only allowed 3 per pathfinder team. woin't fit 2 tieams in 200 points.

Salsa Rhino
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Salsa Rhino » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:36 pm

Corpsey wrote:
Salsa Rhino wrote:pathfinders snipers always win. the devilfish they have is forced on them, so you HAVE to have it. so they get the only armor in kill team (13 at that!) and depending on what you give the fish, 3-6 rail rifles and markerlights. fun!
only allowed 3 per pathfinder team. woin't fit 2 tieams in 200 points.
woops. well, 3 rail rifles, a burst cannon, two TL carbines, armor, and another 4-5 more carbines. kinda awesome.
The enemy of my enemy is also my enemy.
The enemy of my enemy's enemy is...me?
3000pts Orks
1500pts Tau

phatmonk

Post by phatmonk » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:15 pm

alright thanks, guys. i'll go ahead and get that book next time i have some cash.