It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ork Tankbustas
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:04 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges
Hello to all of you wargamers and happy holdiays. I recently decided that my ork force lacked tank destroying skill so I looked over the stats of the orkish tankbustas in the codex. I was very surprised to see that they actually don't seem effective against tanks at all. Chances are, it's just because I don't know how to use them properly, so any of your own comments on them would be greatly appreciated.

So basically the reason for which I think they'd be ineffective is because their main weapon is of course, a rocket launcher. Now orks have a ballistic skill of 2 so if the tank was moving quickly to add to that their chances of hitting it would be very low. Even if they did, the strength of a rocket launcher is 8, and while decent against light vehicles, it's practically useless against the front armour of a heavy tank, like the leman russ demolisher. So basically they only have effective tank killing weapons close up, when they can use their squig bombs, tank hammers and such. But then I saw that they had an armour save of 6+ and only one wound per ork, making them as easy to kill as ordinary orks. To add to that, they don't have the tank hunter special rule surprisingly and they can't be given heavy armour like ordinary boys, so they'd be really easy to pick off from a distance. So, is it just me or are they really not worth buying? Thanks in advance,

-therussky

Post subject: Re: Ork Tankbustas
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:30 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Tankbustas can be used to good effect, and they follow the usual Ork Mantra: Da Mob Mentallaaa...mentolo....Lots uv uz krump betta!

The positives of Tankbustaz is if you max out the squad, thats a friggin' lot of rokkits! Hello 15 Str 8 Ap 3 shots. It's especially nice when you fight Nids, they don't have tanks so you can shoot whatever you want. But where they really shine is up close. 2 Tankhammaz, 3 bomb squigs, and the TB Nob get's the cheapest Powerklaw in the game at 15 points. All Tankbustaz get Tankbombs, 2D6+6 armor penetration. So the worst you do is an 8 best is an 18. Hell yeah! Add in that units in cc always hit the rear armor, and always hit a target that isn't moving, and these guys sound awesome!

The problem isn't even BS 2, because if you blast something with that many rokkits, somethings going to give. It's the Glory Hogs rule. If a tank is in their line of sight, they HAVE to go after it. So you could have Khorne Berzerkers 1 inch away, and an empty Rhino at the other end of the board. So, watch how you deploy them. Make sure they are only shooting at what you want them to shoot at.

Another issue is no transport, and while 24" range sounds nice most people park their tanks in the back. Don't forget, that Tankbustaz really do their work up close. So, now you are talking about buying them a transport which is going to take a heavy slot. Kind of a bummer. Then again, if your transport is a Battlewagon with a Deffrolla, you are still in good shape. Hell, you can even ram the tanks and do D6 Str 10 hits before you even start shooting!

Your real tankbusting comes from powerklaws. A Warboss on a bike is some serious anti tank. Warbike Nobs will also make tanks go buh-bye. My favorite solution to everything is a trukk with Meganobs in it ;)

Hope that helps, if I you have other questions please feel free to ask and I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

"I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:56 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Yes, that certainly did put some light on the subject! Thanks, Dez. I do agree with you that 15 tankbustas could be very effective but for me there is also the problem of price, and buying three boxes at 50$ canadian each isn't something I can afford at the moment, unfortunately. As for the powerklaws, yes, I guess those would be really effective. I was thiking of investing in some deffkoptas and I wanted to ask about those. Would they be more efficient with twin linked rocket launchers and no Glory Hogs rule?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:18 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
I only have 1 box of Tankbustaz, but managed to get a unit of 15. I just used the Rokkit Launchaz on the regular boyz sprue. You can also use any squigs as bomb squigs, or order them direct. For tank hammaz, cut the axe bit off of a choppa, and replace it with some cleverly glued sprue os a hammery looking bit. They don't all need to be the better ones.

Deffkoptaz do have the advantage of the reroll and being able to traverse the board pretty much at will via outflank, turbo boost and their scount move. They can also take a Buzzsaw, which is ok if they get the charge on a vehicle that has a rear armor of 10. I suggest you try them both. Most people won't mind if you want to try out a new unit but don't have the models.

Personally, I don't rely on either to shoot tanks. Thats what I have meganobz in trukks for. Building a Warboss on a bike is a good idea as well.

"I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:10 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
i built Wazdakka on a bike and he does 4 x s8 hits at 24" after a 24" powerboost. he is quite expensive though.. only bring him in in games 2000+ points. Deffcoptas outflanking do wonders for me. i have a squad of 7 tankbustas made from boys with rokkits and i custom made 2 tank hammerers. although last game i got stuck in difficult terrain rolling 1 for two turns. once the tank hammers get close that 3 S10 hits on the weakest armour each... for just 3 hits avg if it moved.. or just 1 avg if it moved alot. plus all your tankbombs... they destroy armour if they get close.

just remember that you should have too many targets to shoot at. start em behind another squad to give em cover and let them do what they do.

-Grukk, Ork Boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:21 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

For tank killing I usually just stick with power claws on every nob in each of my squad of boyz, then when i get close i got that hidden unit in that mob that'll demolish tanks with 5 attacks on charge! :mrgreen: But that's just me and i'm still fairly new too orks but it seems to work fine.

Space marines (Angels of Redemption)
Tyranids (Hive fleet Genesis)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:30 am 

Do you know what's plain mean? Attaching Wazzdakka and/or a Warboss on a bike to a unit of Kommandoz with Snikrot, and then using Snikrot's Ambush rule. You will lose friends if you do that, so save it for 'Ard Boyz ;) Pure filth :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:29 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Tankbustas are very useful I usually have them take out at least 2 vehicles, the last game I played they took out 2 monoliths, and thats no easy task.

They draw fire, and as long as your two tank hammers are alive your pretty much good. For me they were right at the front line, charged forward, launched all their rockits to no avail (however sometimes there is avail), and next turn they were at base contact with the mono. True the only 3 survived and two had hammers, but that group of three proceeded to take out another monolith. Now a monolith is 235 points or something like that so two would be 470, while my little team of 10 was just 150. The math is pretty good there.

On average, they usually take out 1.5 vehicles in my games, thats 10 tankbustas, 2 with hammers. 1.5 meaning, one dies and the other one at least looses a weapon and/or is immobilized, which are good effects for cost. And they draw fire, I can't complain at all.

===
Eldar:4900
===
Orc:3300
===
Space Wolves: 3730

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:14 am 

You know, I totally forgot to mention that. Talk up Tankbustas like no tomorrow. Just let your opponent know casually, with a smirk, that you have a unit that has assault rokkit launchers at ST8 AP3. They will draw alot of fire. That way your trukks and boyz don't ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:18 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Dez wrote:
You know, I totally forgot to mention that. Talk up Tankbustas like no tomorrow. Just let your opponent know casually, with a smirk, that you have a unit that has assault rokkit launchers at ST8 AP3. They will draw alot of fire. That way your trukks and boyz don't ;)

That sounds like a good plan! I still think that my friend would still concentrate fire of Ghazkhul though :P , but I'll be sure to give it a try. Thanks for all the replies, and happy wargaming!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:20 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #5Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges
Compare the cost of a tank busta squad of 15 models to other anti-tank squads.

The same points cost and effect pretty much, plus a close combat edge.

Really, they ain't ineffective. they just have a different play-style.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:25 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Its just that with the tank hammers its an almost guaranteed couple penetrating hits on even the toughest armour. I love letting the opponent place first... and then placing 2-3 times as many models on the board and tell him lots are still in the trukks and/or outflanking/deepstriking. They will have to think long and hard at what to shoot at. And the best part is tankbustas dont move fast.. because the cant run if the see a vehicle. so they actually seem like a small threat because of all your other boys running/driving full tilt at them. They either get forgotten until its too late.. or they divert attention from your other squads.(which all have PK's and also kill tanks).

-Grukk, Ork Boy